Extending my Mac partition...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BeSweeet, Oct 22, 2009.

1. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

So I did some repartitioning earlier today (backed up some stuff from my Windows 7 partition to a new FAT partition, deleted my old Windows 7 partition, made a new, smaller W7 NTFS partition, installed W7, put my backed up stuff back over there, then deleted the backup partition). I'm trying to make my HFS+ partition as big as I can using the free space. Disk Utility isn't letting me do this and it's really pissing me off. Any third-party partition tool I could try that won't really mess things up?

[​IMG]

I'm thinking about doing what I did last month. I'll just WinClone to make a image of my W7 partition, re-partition everything how I want it, then restore the W7 partition. I think that'd be easiest. Any suggestions?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I think the Winclone route will be the best option. Disk Utility will resize partitions, but not move them.

You could also take a look at iPartition. It should be able to move the Windows partition and create contiguous freespace for the OS-X partition. I think they have a demo, but I don't remember its limitations.

3. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Thanks for that fast reply.

iPartition would be nice, but it's $45. Although it would be pretty nice to have, since I mess with this stuff every month or so, but WinClone is just fine for now, so I'm using that method now :eek:.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

WinClone's been a "life-saver" :) I've used it to resize and move BootCamp Windows partitions a bunch of times over the last 6 months. No issues whatsoever. I felt it was well worth a donation, too.

5. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I soooo would give them a little donation. I'm making a couple extra bucks from my new website that I could give 'em (see my sig).