Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I was hoping Apple would give us a similar function where it's displayed in a translucent layer over the album art similar to the way lyrics are displayed but so far no dice.

You need to put the text from the podcast description into the lyrics field to see what the podcast is about on the iPhone and iPod touch.
I just checked my pod and it does this chundles (unlesss I'm missing your point). I'm listening to a health report podcast from ABC and a single tap on the screen (Norman Swan's face) brings up the description of the podcast layered over Norman, along with the on screen controls. Unless ABC puts the description in the lyrics like you say......

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
The "Import SIM Contacts" is a very nice feature.. glad they added that :)

can you do it the other way round to? ie, copy contacts from iphone to sim??

mattrobs

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
What's the difference between the Contacts app and the Phone app? Or is that just for iPod Touch debugging?

btnnaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
What's the difference between the Contacts app and the Phone app? Or is that just for iPod Touch debugging?

No its for the iphone automacally put on the second page. also there is a search feature but the contacts is strictly contacts. kinda worthless i think personally

mattrobs

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
So you have a list of contacts in the Phone app and the Contacts app? Why? Are there any extra panes or anything? You mind posting a screenshot?

btnnaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
So you have a list of contacts in the Phone app and the Contacts app? Why? Are there any extra panes or anything? You mind posting a screenshot?

yea just give me a sec to edit out the names

btnnaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Here you go. Yep same exact thing. pretty pointless

IMG_0024.png

IMG_0025.png

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Utterly redundant. Steve Jobs would have never approved this.

Ask the hundreds of whiney people on here who think a separate Contacts app is necessary. :rolleyes:

There were actually discussions including the argument:
If you didn't close the phone app with the Contacts menu up, and instead had recents, favorites, keypad. or voicemail open, it takes an additional press to get to the contacts menu.

btnnaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
THATS WHAT I THOUGHT. Its dumb u can click it in phone and its the same thing :cool:

mattrobs

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
They should have made it a downloadable "app" from the App Store. (Clearly, Apple's not even proud of it if they hid it on the second home screen.)

shelt

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
NorCal
Interesting to see the "Location Services" on/off on a 2G screenshot. I've been wondering whether location aware apps will work on a 2G phone albeit with only "cell tower" accuracy?

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
There were actually discussions including the argument:
If you didn't close the phone app with the Contacts menu up, and instead had recents, favorites, keypad. or voicemail open, it takes an additional press to get to the contacts menu.

That seems an entirely reasonable arguement to me, and it'll replace Stocks on my front screen.

Good phone UI design is all about reducing the numbers of presses to common functions.

Phazer

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
That seems an entirely reasonable arguement to me, and it'll replace Stocks on my front screen.

Good phone UI design is all about reducing the numbers of presses to common functions.

Phazer

Because the iPhone is (believe it or not) a phone...I reckon they should have some sort of gesture that makes the contact list just swipe up from the bottom of the screen (like many things do in the iPhone UI). A double tap with two fingers on the home screen would enable this. I think this would work quite well. It would have the contacts listed as usual but down the bottom it wold have two buttons, "All" and "Favourites" (the buttons would look like those of the ones in Maps when you need to search. The ones that say 'Recent', 'Bookmarks' and 'Contacts'). It would also have a 'Done" button up the top right to close it and it would just slide down to reveal the home screen still just sitting there patiently. No?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I just checked my pod and it does this chundles (unlesss I'm missing your point). I'm listening to a health report podcast from ABC and a single tap on the screen (Norman Swan's face) brings up the description of the podcast layered over Norman, along with the on screen controls. Unless ABC puts the description in the lyrics like you say......

Huh...

They must be doing something different - it sucks because a big stack of my podcasts have long titles that for some reason on the best iPod ever made don't scroll like they do on every other iPod from the last few years. If they had description overlay then that would be tops.

I've already asked them for it.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

Phazer

I've moved stocks onto it's own page - bloody useless app that is, a US-only stock report...

mattrobs

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
Because the iPhone is (believe it or not) a phone...I reckon they should have some sort of gesture that makes the contact list just swipe up from the bottom of the screen...
There already is. You can assign double-tap-the-home-screen to phone favourites. Or iPod controls. It's a great feature everyone forgets about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.