External Caddy Required for 256 SSD, can't find one anywhere!

acidwoody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2014
Hi all, first post and I suppose its quite a decent one.

Friend of mine spilt a full pint of water over a macbook retina 3 months after he's bought it, everythings pretty much totally screwed however suprisingly the SSD seems in good shape.

The models:-

Apple MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.0 15" Late 2013

ME293LL/A

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.0-15-iris-only-late-2013-retina-display-specs.html

I'd like to recovery his data but don't have another retina, to put the drive in and boot from, but even if I did I'd prefer to use a caddy which I just can't find for love nor money :confused::confused::confused:

Could anybody help me track one down?

Many thanks,

Woody :)

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi all, first post and I suppose its quite a decent one.

Friend of mine spilt a full pint of water over a macbook retina 3 months after he's bought it, everythings pretty much totally screwed however suprisingly the SSD seems in good shape.

The models:-

Apple MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.0 15" Late 2013

ME293LL/A

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.0-15-iris-only-late-2013-retina-display-specs.html

I'd like to recovery his data but don't have another retina, to put the drive in and boot from, but even if I did I'd prefer to use a caddy which I just can't find for love nor money :confused::confused::confused:

Could anybody help me track one down?

Many thanks,

Woody :)
They don't exist, because the late-2013 ones use a PCIe non-NGFF/M.2 drive.

acidwoody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2014
So what other measures could I take to get the data off the drive, there must be a way..

Hammie

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
So what other measures could I take to get the data off the drive, there must be a way..
Maybe the Genius Bar in an Apple Store could help get the data off.

They may be able to put the SSD in another body and transfer the data over to a HDD or something.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2012
Ah....interesting.

I had never thought of this problem. I don't hand it a machine for repair without first removing the data either by a reformat or swapping out the drive.

This thread actually puts me off a rMBP

The Mercurian

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2012
It's the same problem with the Haswell iMacs and Haswell MBAs.
For sure. Hmm I had a plan to upgrade my 2011 MBP 15" to next model when it comes out. I shall have to revise that plan! I need the ability to not give over my data if the machine needs repairing!

The Mercurian

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2012
That's why one should always make backups daily and enable FileVault 2, then not even the not-so-Genius blokes can recover data from it :)
Yeah but when you hand in your machine for repair don't you need to give them the password - how else are they going to fix it? On my 2011 machine I just take out the drive, pop in a spare if it needs to go into shop. No problem. rMBP - can't do that. This is really a deal breaker in fact.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
For sure. Hmm I had a plan to upgrade my 2011 MBP 15" to next model when it comes out. I shall have to revise that plan! I need the ability to not give over my data if the machine needs repairing!
OWC is planning to make Pci-e SSD upgrades in late 2014. Hopefully they will release an enclosure too.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
How would that invalidate the warranty?

All you need to do is put everything back where it should be and they will have no idea.
Yup, but officially, you're not supposed to do that.

Even by putting everything back where it should be, chances are that something might still break, given the fragility of some components in there.

I never had to worry about that when opening up my 15" cMBP.

acidwoody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2014
Guys sorry to re-surface this one but I still need a little help.

The drive inside is a Samsung MZ-JPU256T/0A6 SSD and I've been told I need a USB 3 to Sata cable to recover the data.

Is there a particular one I need?

Thanks

Woody