External faster than Internal?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by afavreau, Apr 17, 2011.

1. afavreau macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a Mac Pro (2006) and an external SATA enclosure, but no SATA card. I use a Raid 0 volume for my sound library because I need speed and responsiveness. I'm into audio recording.

So I'm wondering, with a SATA card, would an external raid 0 system be better/faster than simply just putting my 2 stripped drives in the Mac Pro itself?

If an external SATA card is better, than which one would you recommend?

Thanks for your help

Andre

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It won't really matter with only two drives.

Hope you use some sort of backup solution though.

3. Loa macrumors 68000

Loa

Hello,

Unless you get a SATA3 (6G) card in your Mac, and get a SATA3 compatible enclosure and SATA3 SSDs, the fastest and simplest way to go is inside your Mac.

Loa

4. goMac macrumors 603

Generally if your external and internal SATA is rated at the same speed, internal will always be faster. At the very least, you will be taking a speed hit just from the longer distance.

5. afavreau thread starter macrumors newbie

My Mac Pro (2006) has PCI 1.0 so i'm not sure it can accept a 6G card, but anyway, I will go internal.

Thanks for your help

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

7. Rustus Maximus macrumors 6502

Rustus Maximus

Well, it can accept them but it will obviously throttle the output to 1.0 speeds. I use one in my 2006 for external purposes. The reason I went with a 6G card was just trying to extend the life of the card for when I do upgrade. Also, don't forget that the 2006 has two extra sata ports on the motherboard which could be used in an external manner.

HERE is the card I am presently using and HERE is OWC's solution for utilizing the extra motherboard connectors in an external fashion.

8. afavreau thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh really? 2 extra Sata ports on the motherboard?

So i can just hook up my 2 external Sata drives to them?
    Can it go Raid 0 too?

9. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

On the 2010's one of the 2 extra ports is used by the superdrive. Any PATA connected superdrive Mac Pro will have the 2 available. Unless you don't need a DVD drive, then RAID any of them.