Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Techsavyfreak

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Hey, sorry if this is a repeat thread, but i was just wondering if anyone has the Western Digital mybook home edition 500 gb(2 firewire 400's, one usb, and one eSata) just curious to know if anyone has this and how it has worked out for them. i would be using it for backup, and just storing files to free up my internal hard drive.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Hey, sorry if this is a repeat thread, but i was just wondering if anyone has the Western Digital mybook home edition 500 gb(2 firewire 400's, one usb, and one eSata) just curious to know if anyone has this and how it has worked out for them. i would be using it for backup, and just storing files to free up my internal hard drive.

OMG, my uncle just got that one and I help him set it up yesterday. I'd always go for firewire external drive. Only because of this one reason: I don't use the firewire ports for anything else! Might as well save a usb port.

Great drive at a great price. When I get my iMac, i'm thinking about getting one of them myself

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
I have three 500Gb Mybooks and another 1Tb Mybook Studio on order, awesome drives..so far very reliable and the silver ones look great next to by Macbook Pro. ;)

shiunn

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2006
nice
i'm thinking of getting the 500gb Studio edition. what shade of silver are they exactly? i own a macbook, so just wondering how it'll look like sitting next to it.
(gosh...ever since MB, i've sorta become vain about the looks of my table)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

If you use it for TimeMachine backups and nothing else, there isn't much reason to pay the extra money for FireWire. USB will work just fine (and it will work with a MacBook Air, if you ever buy one). It will be a bit slower, but it's all happening in the background - you don't wait for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.