External Hard Drive for My Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by darkpixie08, Jul 11, 2007.

1. darkpixie08 macrumors member

About seven months ago, I went ahead and purchased a macbook pro. I love the thing, but I am rapidly running out of space. I'm thinking of purchasing an external hard drive, but honestly I don't know a thing about how they work. I know I can store my music and photos and such on it, and then to access them just plug it into my laptop, but what about running programs from it, especially programs where framerate is a factor like WoW and Vanguard? Also, are there any external hard drives that are wireless, so I don't have to connect my laptop to them? Please forgive my stupidity here, this is new territory for me. Any recommendations on brand of specifications to look for would also be appreciated.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You could get a NAS (network attached storage) so you can access it wirelessly. Additionally, you could attach a USB 2.0 drive to the new Airport Extreme, or you could build a cheap linux based server and throw a bunch of drives in there to function as a file server.

Or, your MBP probably has like a 120GB hard drive. WD just came out with a 250GB drive that will fit in the MBP. You could get one of these and put it in.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The Western Digital Mybook external drives have a new version that can be attached to Ethernet. If you have a proper wireless router with Ethernet ports, you just plug it into the router, and you have 320 or 500 GB that can be accessed wireless from everywhere.

4. darkpixie08 thread starter macrumors member

Will connecting to it wirelessly affect the speed on my games? Thanks!