Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haremite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
So, $660-plus later of getting my data retrieved, a new battery installed, an SSD installed and an upgrade to High Sierra on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro 15-inch, I have just purchased my first external hard drive.

Question: If I use Time Machine and back up all my stuff to the external, what happens if my current laptop crashes and I can't access anything on it, so I buy a new Mac of some sort and want to put all of the backed up stuff into that? Can it be done? A Mac friend user said it can't be done, it can only be re-inputted to the original machine where it all came off of.

If that is true, and all I really need are my documents and photos and some other downloads, then why not just put it all on a flash drive? What's the point of the external?

Thanks for your help.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Whoever said you can't doesn't know what they are talking about.

You can just use Migration Assistant when you set up your new Mac.

Reactions: Weaselboy

haremite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Whoever said you can't doesn't know what they are talking about.

You can just use Migration Assistant when you set up your new Mac.
[doublepost=1528483726][/doublepost]How can I use Migration Assistant if my old computer is basically dead? It's not dead now, but if it crashes again and I can't access anything, I can't migrate anything.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
[doublepost=1528483726][/doublepost]How can I use Migration Assistant if my old computer is basically dead? It's not dead now, but if it crashes again and I can't access anything, I can't migrate anything.

Read this. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

Scroll down the the part where it says "When asked how you want to transfer your information, select the option to transfer from a Mac, Time Machine backup, or startup disk.". Then scroll down further to see an example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.