external harddrive for umbp using for DJ gigs - Serato

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by polobreaka, Aug 17, 2009.

1. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

Im looking for a good affordable external harddrive for DJing. My buddies use Seagate Freeagent Go Firewire 800, are there anything thats comparable to this or do you guys have any recommendation? id prefer firewire over usb 2.0 because i only have 2 USB port, i need 1 for serato and 1 for LED light to display my mixer. Port powered hdd with 7200rpm would be best desired.

thanks!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

This might be the only instance I recommend a G-Tech.

Or you could be OCD, anal and paranoid like me and have two back-up drives...

Other User's Recommendation's:
    Build Your Own: uberamd, kufford, SaSaSushi, nanofrog, Ti_Poussin, bigdaddyp; Cave Man
    Drobo: gatepc recommends it, further mixed discussion here. A Drobo v. alternative discussion was had here.
    EZQuest: LizKat has owned a variety of Monsoons
    G-Tech: RebornKillah recommends the G-Drive Quad 500GB, but it's currently out of production; Digital Skunk notes the great warranty; jaysmith recommend G-Tech
    Hitachi: Trag (SimpleTech Signature Mini 500GB); J&JPolangin (SimpleTech 2TB SimpleDrive Pro Duo); BlizzardBomb recommends the Go; bigdaddyp recommends the Signature Mini. Thedesolateone also recommends Hitachi. Also of note is that Hitachi acquired G-Tech recently.
    Iomega: mc3s (Ultramax 34495 1.5 TB); Justin Lee (eGo 500GB Portable Mac).
    ioSafe: Tterb recommends.
    LaCie: Note: there is an entire thread dedicated to LaCie, I have summed up support from users below, but simply a tally
    jrotunda85, (d2 Quadra 1 TB); RedTomato, gatepc & eVolcre, {although eVolcre owns the one with eSata and Firewire 400}(Hard Disk, Design by Neil Poulton 1 TB); iGary (LaCie Rugged); Gymnut (F.A. Porsche, out of production); VanMac (BigDiskExtreme, out of production); Digital Skunk (2Big Triple, out of production)
    Users expressing general support: cmcbridejr, dpaanlka, LethalWolfe, mpsrig, UltraNeo*, iPhoneNYC, chocolate632, Hellhammer, romanaz
    Users not so happy with LaCie: surfmadison (not a big fan), accacc57, dave12345 (Little Disk), jaysmith, Jerkfish, auero, mperkins37, dfs & jessica.
    Maxtor: adamvk purchased a OneTouch 4 1TB (not sure what version)
    Seagate: steeler (FreeAgent Desk 1.5 TB); MacMini2009, rick3000 (Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1 TB USB Mac); suekitch recommends Seagate because of its warranty; Acid303 does not recommend the (new) Seagate FreeAgent Desk series
    Western Digital: MacMini2009, xpress1 & MacDawg (MyBook Studio 1TB); Thiol notes purchasing an incredible seven Western Digital MyBook Studio drives all working flawlessly; Acid303 also notes a positive experience with a non-Studio Edition Western Digital drive; terp2007 & matthewscott661 recommend the Passport Series; munkees notes a failure with one of the drives purchased, but a positive experience overall; rikdiddy, RebornKillah & Jerkfish also recommend Western Digital. chrono1081 does not recommend Western Digital & romanaz was also not happy.

Other Threads:

1TB is prbly a good size to start at it, I would say most people looking for non-mobile externals start at that size, here is a (not-so) recent thread about that...
    More literature found here.
    Here, is another thread on 1TB Hard Drives
    This one is about LaCie...
    Here is another, there is some more discussion about LaCie in there...
    Here is one on USB 1TB, I'd stick to Firewire...
    Just for kicks, we had a random thread.
    And if all else fails, MRoogle
    If you wish to have your name added to the list, PM Me.​

3. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Good stuff "kid". Nice of you to be so thorough and to provide links instead of just telling him to "search before you post..." :)

In my mobile DJ company we use all types. Some suggest to go the external case route with your own internal drives, but I have had good luck with both enclosures and complete drives. I would suggest getting two drives to have backup at the show. Just work with one as a primary and use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact mirror for back up. If your drive goes down at a show and you don't have a back up then your sunk. I prefer firewire as well, but when I've used USB 2.0 drives they have worked well also. At least with PCDJ, my program of choice at present. Not sure if it will make a difference, but keep in mind the type of software you are using and any factors that may be associated with your specific media.

You really should be fine with any of the major brands that goldenmackid mentioned.

4. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks to both of you.

@ thegoldenmackid: i did read your post from another thread from a search. i just wasnt sure if there are anything DJs recommended over just a backup drive.

i have already done an extensive search on this forum as well as google. each person is different also some uses windows and some uses mac for mobile DJ.

@mscriv: yes it would be suck if im at a gig and my hd decides to take a dump. thats why im asking for external hd specifically something that can handle a show for couple hours of run time. im pretty set on a 500gig size hdd. seems to be a good balance between not being too small or too big. anything bigger than that im afraid of lag. and anything smaller would not fit as much songs/music video as id like.

5. bigdaddyp macrumors regular

Here is one I like.

This is one I use for my Htpc and move it over to my main machine a couple of times a week to transfer new stuff over to it.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ministack/HD_Enclosure_Kits
    This setup would have to be plugged in to an electrical outlook but gives you fast performance and a built in usb and firewire hub. Although I realize that might be bigger then you want.

I have several Simpletech portable usb bus powered 250 gig drives, 2 that I mounted on the back of my imacs for backup purposes and 2 250 gig ones I use for portability.
    http://www.simpletech.com/products/storage/signature-mini/
    They are small, and realitively good looking little critters that are reasonably well priced. BUT, I have one that absolutely refuses to mount when powered off my laptops usb ports even when I use two ports.

I think if I were you I would definitely look at a firewire drive like this one.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go

Please let us know what you end up choosing.
    Jim

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I don't put anything on the main drive of the DJ computer except for a select amount of back up music. In my opinion the ideal set up is for your computer system to be dedicated to the OS and your DJ program of choice. All music, videos, or whatever medium you are using is run from an external. I would say anywhere between 320gb and 500gb is fine. But, just for clarification when I say have a back up, I'm talking about a back up of your media drive. So, I'm actually saying you need two external drives that are mirrors of each other. I also still have CD's on site just in case my computer goes out entirely. Yeah, maybe it's overkill, but at every show I have two computers, two drives, and discs as an ultimate back up. It may sound crazy, but when you are dealing with one time events like weddings, you can never be too careful. :cool:

7. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the links bigdaddyp. i looked at the OWC Mercury, probably most desirable for me. i wonder if it has any heating problems with it. price is pretty reasonable. anyone have experience with this? reviews? not really a fan of the clear case as ive always thought the harddrive doesnt look very appealing.

mscriv: oh ok. gotcha! yea probably best to have 2 same drive cloned. ive always had good experience with seagate..but with the freeagent..it gets so hot. these externals will only be dedicated to medias used for gigs.

8. Justin Lee macrumors member

9. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks justin. read your review and others about it. sounds pretty good. you also said it runs pretty hot, im not sure how well that will handle constantly running for about 5 hours straight. do you have any problems with it? how is performance when its running hot?

10. bigdaddyp macrumors regular

Justin Lee that is a good looking drive and the price is very good for firewire.

PoloBreaka I cant remember where I read the review but if memory serves it was considered a very rugged drive with good heat dissipation but a little expensive. Found one, here is a review from macworld.
    http://www.macworld.com/article/137392/2008/12/owcmercury.html
    What I like is that it is made to be user serviceable as in its made so that you can swap out the Hd and most of owc's firewire stuff use the Oxford chipset.

11. Justin Lee macrumors member

Please don't think it runs hot. Mine doesn't. But it does run warm - the drive has no internal fan and uses the aluminium casing to dissipate heat.

I use mine as a scratch drive in Final Cut Studio so there is a lot of consistent transfer both ways. It is a truly great product that has performed all that has been asked of it so far. I don't give out recommendations lightly, but I have no reservations at all with this product.

If you live in the States then this is great value for money too. I had to import it into the UK and I got stung for the full import duties. Ouch, but no regrets :)

12. Justin Lee macrumors member

I take on board everything you say. The drive you recommend looks great!

What I will say is that the IOMEGA has a 3yr warranty so you should not need to swap out the internal drive yourself. Fingers crossed, but there should be some cheaper better technology in 3 years. Petabyte USB3 drive anyone?

13. bigdaddyp macrumors regular

Should is the word. :D Although if you buy the add a hd model you can buy a hd with a five year warranty to put in there.But who says you wont open it up and put another disk in for a different project or as a backup? I have opened up my ministack twice so far. Once to erase an older drive and once to make a back up my 750gb itunes movie collection. Although I must say that Iomega does look pretty sweet.

One of the disk makers just announced a 1 terabyte 2.5 inch disk :eek: but its 12.5mm tall so it wont fit in a mac. They sure are making progress on the capacity front.

14. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

i pulled the trigger and bought the Iomega ego 500gb. thanks justin for the great review and link.

im excited for it to arrive.

if i want to replace my harddrive in the laptop..how do i clone it? right now i have a 250gb, i want to upgrade to a 500gb.. do i need to put the 500gb into a enclosure or how does it work?

15. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

One option is to put the 500gb in an external firewire enclosure. Then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your 250gb laptop drive onto the external. Then swap them out. It will be an exact copy and boot up just like it was your original drive. I just did this with an iMac upgrade by putting the new iMac in Target Disk Mode and cloning it from my old iMac. It was super simple and Carbon Copy Cloner is freeware.

16. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks mscriv!

i will be ordering the WD Scorpio Blue 500gb after reading all the reviews.

17. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

i have a 3.5" external case for 3.5 drive. would it be ok if i put in the 2.5" drive in this? i would assume it would work the same right?

18. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

As long as the connections are the same then it will work fine for the cloning process you are wanting to do. I wouldn't leave a drive in there long term or travel with it that way due to concerns that it wouldn't be securely held in place since it's the wrong size drive.

19. Justin Lee macrumors member

Has it arrived, and are you happy :)

20. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea i got it! its pretty nice! only thing that bugs me is that BRIGHT blue LED that keeps blinking when the drive is active. that thing is REALLLLLY bright.

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Could use gaffers tape or cheaper tape to cover the LED

22. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea thats what im going to do. thanks!

23. interconnect macrumors regular

interconnect

24. Justin Lee macrumors member

25. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I've had no problems with my seagate drive. Why not get seagate?

Habitus :apple: