External HD won't show up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jnottingham13, Feb 8, 2012.

1. jnottingham13 macrumors newbie

I have a new Toshiba external hard drive that I purchased on black friday. It works on my windows PC as well as my friends Macbook Pro. However it does NOT work on my brand new macbook pro. It was originally formatted NTFS but i reformatted it for exFat. Still doesn't work on my mac.

The drive doesn't show up in finder or disk utility. I've heard rumors that macbook pros cannot power bus powered external HDs, but this doesn't make any sense considering my 3 year old dell and my friends MBPro finds the hard drive.

Any suggestions? I really need to get this working. :confused:

2. jamojamo macrumors 6502

They definitely can power external HDs.

I assume you've tried it multiple times and have ensured it was firmly inserted into the port on the MacBook Pro, etc.

Does that port work for other devices like a mouse or some other device? Maybe you have a bad port.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

do some portable harddrives not require 2 usb's?

4. hafr macrumors 68030

Just to be sure, have you tried the other USB port? And have you tried the ports with another device?

5. jnottingham13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have tried it multiple times on both USB ports. The light on the HD does come on, and the computer appears to freeze up for a few seconds, but nothing ever shows up in Finder or Disk Utility.

USB flash drives, USB mouse etc all work on both USB ports.

Also I had no idea that some hard drives require a USB "Y" cable to connect to two ports for power. I can't imagine this is the problem in my case though, because the hard drive lights up and I can hear it spinning but it does not show up on my computer.

6. simsaladimbamba

7. jnottingham13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have not tried that yet, and have just learned of it from you (new to mac). How safe is the process?

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I believe its only 1TB and higher that requires it but than again im not sure it would be only on MACs and not PCS USB 2.0 should give the same power regardless if its PC or MAC

9. simsaladimbamba

Very safe, I have used it several times with stubborn HDDs, an SMC reset does not delete any of your data. Read the article I linked to learn more about the SMC reset.

10. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Sorry for thread jacking but my topic is mostly related to yours.

I have a WD My Book Studio drive with my itunes on it. Due to an accident it got dropped and now everytime I attach the firewire or usb cable. The white light lights up for a second but nothing happens. I have it tried different cables and macs.

What can I do? is there anyway of recovering data from a dead drive? Theres still warranty on the drive and WD would exchange it but everything on the drive would be lost.

Thanx for the help in Advance! :)

11. simsaladimbamba

To retrieve files you can use
    Data Rescue 3 (trial lets you scan the HDD and see, if data is recoverable, but to actually recover files, you need to buy the full version for 99 USD) or
    FileSalvage (trial lets you scan the HDD and see, if data is recoverable, but to actually recover files, you need to buy the full version for 89.95 USD).
    DiskDrill - lets you recover data from HFS/HFS+, FAT, NTFS & other file systems right on your Mac., for free.​

Also know, that you should immediately stop any writing processes to the actual HDD. If it is the same HDD as the one your operating system (OS) resides on, it is better to use an external HDD with Mac OS X on to boot from and install Data Rescue or FileSalvage onto to scan the HDD from which the data has been accidentally deleted.

12. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Its an external hd. And I can't access it because it doesn't even show up in disk utility nor in finder nor in terminal. Do the above software also work with a drive that seems pretty much dead? Or do you know of a service that can retrieve files from a dead drive? Thanx!

13. simsaladimbamba

I don't know one in your country, but every bigger city (Århus or similar) should have a computer shop with data recovery service.
    The scan to determine, if the data can be saved should cost 600 to 1200 Dkr, the recovery can cost 6000 Dkr or more.

14. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

thanx for the help i live in copenhagen so it shouldn't be too much of a problem but those costs aren't pretty.

15. simsaladimbamba

Greetings to Greve Strand then. And yes, those prices aren't pretty. I just converted the 1000 USD price to Dkr, maybe it costs less, but I guess it is the opposite.

16. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

evening neighbor :D, yep it will probably be more expensive. Have you tried a service yet or do you think i could request for maybe a special fee for Western Digital (the brand of the drive) to try to recover it? Because I don't feel like paying 3000+dkk plus on a unknown service.

17. hafr macrumors 68030

I know it's not cheap to replace the heads, but there is the possibility that this would solve the problem and make the drive usable again, and it would most likely be less expensive than 1 000 USD...

18. simsaladimbamba

I haven't tried such service yet, as the two drives I had fail were either backed up or the data on it was easily re-creatable.

I also don't know, if WD offers any data recovery service. You better ask them.

19. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

IBAS Data recovery Denmark

This is a data recovery partner for WD and they can be found in Virum and do it for 1290Dkk inc tax and free analysis.

Just a tip for the future.

20. simsaladimbamba

Thanks, but I don't live in Danmark, I live in Tyskland, though I sometimes wish to live there, it has very good roads and something else I am drawn to.

21. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

i am guessing since you are a guy and its most likely feminine. :D

22. simsaladimbamba

Oh no, that was a long time ago. ;)
    I guess it is just the country. I have visited Danmark five times since 1992, (93, 94, 96, 2000) and I can't really pinpoint it. I have several destinations I am drawn to, London is another, but since it is such a big city, it might not be for me. Who knows, maybe it is just my programming. København was only visited twice by me, I could not really make a connection with it, sadly.

23. kokako macrumors regular

put in a plastic bag in the freezer for a few hours... or 15 minutes if you're in a hurry, should mount in disc utility then reformat.

24. maril1111, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

thanx for the idea will try it out.

EDIT: sadly that didn't work left it in the freezer overnight, still nothing i think i just gotta buy a new one. and scrape up my itunes from a combination of ipods i have.

25. hafr macrumors 68030

Did you not see my post? There is a possibility that the drop made the heads come loose, why don't you look into it? If that's the problem, the solution is cheaper than a restore and you have your drive with everything on it.