External HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dtprkr, Sep 6, 2009.

1. dtprkr macrumors newbie

I am currently shopping for a external hard drive to store all of my music files, and copied movies on, from my Imac. I'm considering a 1TB in size. My setup is pretty simple: 24inch Imac and airport extreme. I would appreciate if anyone could provide some quality choices and or links.

thank you
    dtprkr

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

After Taking Part in Numerous Threads and Purchasing Numerous Drives after Research, I have come to a couple of suggestions and a massive "guide."

There are three (basic/main) parts to the speed of your external drive:
    1. Connection Type – This is the one most people will know about, if they know one. Things like Firewire 800, Firewire 400, USB 2.0, eSata, etc. It comes to how your drive connects to the computer, in general (fastest to slowest) eSata, Firewire 800, Firewire 400, USB 2.0. Firewire is preferable because it is not only faster then USB, but it transfers at a constant speed, whereas USB is variable. eSata is the fastest but it requires a port that is not available without an adaptor, and those adaptors are hit and miss in terms of quality. Chances are most users will do fine with Firewire 800 and have no need for eSata.
    2. Hard Drive Speed – For some reason people seem to forget that if you have 4200 RPM Drive inside your enclosure, it's going to be slow. This depends on the physical drives inside your enclosure. Speed from fastest to slowest: SSD, 7200 RPM, 5400 RPM, 4200 RPM. The higher the revolutions per minute, the faster, unless there are no revolutions at all ;).
    3. Cache – The one people forget. The cache is just like your computer stores the information temporarily. It is important that if you look at this, especially if you are going to try to play files from your drive. Even if you are using it is a back-up, you don't want a 4MB Cache. Higher the cache the better; 64MB is the general highest speed for most stock drives.

Or you could be OCD, anal and paranoid like me and have two back-up drives...

Other User's Recommendation's:
    Buffalo: techfreak85 (DriveStation Combo4 1TB)
    Build Your Own: uberamd, kufford, SaSaSushi, nanofrog, Ti_Poussin, bigdaddyp; Cave Man
    Drobo: gatepc recommends it, further mixed discussion here. A Drobo v. alternative discussion was had here.
    EZQuest: LizKat has owned a variety of Monsoons
    G-Tech: RebornKillah recommends the G-Drive Quad 500GB, but it's currently out of production; Bill Gates (500GB Mini); Digital Skunk notes the great warranty; jaysmith recommend G-Tech
    Hitachi: Trag (SimpleTech Signature Mini 500GB); J&JPolangin (SimpleTech 2TB SimpleDrive Pro Duo); BlizzardBomb recommends the Go; bigdaddyp recommends the Signature Mini. Thedesolateone also recommends Hitachi. Also of note is that Hitachi acquired G-Tech recently.
    Iomega: mc3s (Ultramax 34495 1.5 TB); Justin Lee & quantum003 (eGo 500GB Portable Mac).
    ioSafe: Tterb recommends.
    LaCie: Note: there is an entire thread dedicated to LaCie, I have summed up support from users below, but simply a tally
    jrotunda85, (d2 Quadra 1 TB); RedTomato, gatepc & eVolcre, {although eVolcre owns the one with eSata and Firewire 400}(Hard Disk, Design by Neil Poulton 1 TB); iGary (LaCie Rugged); Gymnut (F.A. Porsche, out of production); VanMac (BigDiskExtreme, out of production); Digital Skunk (2Big Triple, out of production)
    Users expressing general support: cmcbridejr, dpaanlka, LethalWolfe, mpsrig, UltraNeo*, iPhoneNYC, chocolate632, Hellhammer, romanaz
    Users not so happy with LaCie: surfmadison (not a big fan), accacc57, dave12345 (Little Disk), jaysmith, Jerkfish, auero, mperkins37, dfs & jessica.
    Maxtor: adamvk purchased a OneTouch 4 1TB (not sure what version)
    OWC: GGJstudios (1TB Mercury Elite-AL Pro) & (On-The-Go 200GB)
    Seagate: steeler (FreeAgent Desk 1.5 TB); MacMini2009, rick3000 (Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1 TB USB Mac); suekitch recommends Seagate because of its warranty; Acid303 does not recommend the (new) Seagate FreeAgent Desk series
    Western Digital: MacMini2009, xpress1 & MacDawg (MyBook Studio 1TB); Thiol notes purchasing an incredible seven Western Digital MyBook Studio drives all working flawlessly; Acid303 also notes a positive experience with a non-Studio Edition Western Digital drive; terp2007 & matthewscott661 recommend the Passport Series; munkees notes a failure with one of the drives purchased, but a positive experience overall; rikdiddy, RebornKillah & Jerkfish also recommend Western Digital. chrono1081 does not recommend Western Digital & romanaz was also not happy.

Other Threads:

1TB is prbly a good size to start at it, I would say most people looking for non-mobile externals start at that size, here is a (not-so) recent thread about that...
    More literature found here.
    Here, is another thread on 1TB Hard Drives
    This one is about LaCie...
    Here is another, there is some more discussion about LaCie in there...
    Here is one on USB 1TB, I'd stick to Firewire...
    Just for kicks, we had a random thread.
    And if all else fails, MRoogle
    If you wish to have your name added to the list, PM Me.​

3. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

wow GMK, that is some intense researching.;)

this is what i have.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

In record time too...

5. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

did u have like some txt file with all user's recommendations?

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have that post copy and pasted, I update it when people make recommendations, but I usually will add something at the top before that quote

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

He must have because I've seen that exactly same post here before :p

Great job GMC though, you know what you talk about and I'm in your post too :cool:

8. dtprkr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your quick response!! Plenty of good info. I've read some good things about the G-tech. I like the looks of the raid models, the aluminum housing is nice. Is anyone familiar with the NewerTech external hard drives?

9. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

I have the 1TB Fantom GreenDrive, which I got from MacMall. With two rebates totalling $40, it set me back only $70. Love it. Quiet, cool, has on/off switch. Good reviews, too.

10. Vster macrumors 6502

Wow GMK, saved all that to a pages doc, LOL. Thanks for the info.

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Count me OUT of the g-tech crew. I swore by them until recently. I've had to purchase a new power adapter for my g-tech Q and I just sent in my 4 month old G-Raid mini for repair. No data loss but that's because I had the tools sitting around to recover my data long enough to move it off and onto a different drive. The drive no longer mounts on any of my machines. Check creative cow for more info on spontaneous g-tech deaths.

12. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I saw this post and went and checked out what macmall had for the Fantom and came across the:

1) Fantom Drives GreenDrive 1TB External eSATA/USB 2.0 Hard Drive (GD1000EU) which is $70.00 after rebate. (what you got I'm pretty sure)

And the 2) Fantom Drives GreenDrive Quad 1TB FireWire 400/800, eSATA, USB 2.0 Hard Drive w/ NTI Shadow Backup (GD1000Q) which is $99 after rebate.

But I'm wondering about a Green Drive II. On buy.com, there is this Fantom GreenDrive II - 1TB USB 2.0 & eSATA External Hard Drive (includes eSATA cable) - 2 Year Warranty!- GDII1000EU - Features NTI Shadow 4 with Ninja Backup Software for $123.

What's that all about? MacMall doesn't seem to have these GreenDrive II external hard drives. Or am I missing them. I want something with Firewire 800/FW800 so I'm leaning towards the GD1000Q unless a GreenDrive II exists with FireWire 800/FW800 and is better than the regular Greendrive

13. scottbricker macrumors newbie

What type of HD for wireless backup for 3+ computers?

Hi kind macforums folks. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a pretty similar question so I thought it would be redundant to start a new thread. I'm pretty new to networking, HD backups, etc. I run a small nonprofit and have 3 macbooks all running OS X with Timemachine. What type of affordable external HD would you recommend for 3 computers running Timemachine? I'm guessing we need a 1T HD. I'd prefer for all of us to be able to backup wirelessly. We have an Airport at the office, but it's probably 5+ years old. Do I also need to purchase an updated Airport?

Thanks for your help!

14. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Just bought the Fantom Drives GreenDrive Quad 1TB FireWire 400/800, eSATA, USB 2.0 Hard Drive w/ NTI Shadow Backup (GD1000Q) from MacMall for $99 after rebates. I'm not sure what's up with the Green Drive II.