External HDD advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DDar, Aug 5, 2008.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

Well, I've been trying to find a good, cheap external HDD to use with my new 17'' Macbook Pro that I'm getting in a few weeks. (Mainly for time machine purposes, but also for PS3 data back-up and file transfers/storage.)

I was thinking about getting the USB 2.0 500GB Western Digital Mybook External HDD. I found it for $99 at Best Buy.

However, today I found another mybook, a slightly newer version. This one has firewire 400 and 800 as well as USB 2.0 and eSATA support, a power button and a "capacity indicator light". This one however was 320 GB and $129.

Now, I'm not completely sure which model to get. I've read mixed reviews about both models and all the Mybook external HDDs... So I just wanted to ask you guys what you think I should buy. Which would you think would work best with Time Machine and my new Mac?

Are there any other good external HDDs I should consider maybe? Remember, price is a big factor for me. I'd like to spend around $100, though I WOULD go for $150 at most... But I REALLY don't want to. <_<''

EDIT: I just read about the possible Macbook update... Will this apply to the Macbook Pros as well? Will the tech specs be noticeably upped as well?
    Do you think it's a good idea for me to buy a Macbook Pro now, with this update in mind? I mean, I DO need it for school and to work on my AP Art portfolio... But I need to take this laptop through college, I don't want an outdated piece of machinery. =(

2. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

3. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

How big is the HD you are getting in the MacBook Pro and how much data do you plan on backing up from your PS3? Do you work with big files changing often? This will determine how much you will need for TimeMachine and finally the size of the HD you should get.

4. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Well, my Macbook Pro SHOULD be coming with a 250GB HDD. I'd mainly use Time Machine when working on word and image files (PDFs), but to be honest I'm not completely sure how Time Machine works, so I'd probably end up backing up more than that.
    What I'd back up from my PS3... Well, since REALLY I don't plan on backing up my installs, it'd probably just be a few gigabytes of movies, gamesaves and games and such. =/
    I'd say, at MOST 50GBs. But as of right now, 2-20GBs. =/

I can't order online right now so I'm sort of in the position where I can ONLY buy from the store. now, I found the LaCie 320GB for $159 here.... And the 500GB MyBook Studio Edition (with FireWire 800) for the same price... So I'm unsure as to which HDD to purchase. =(

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Well, TimeMachine backup all your files the first time and then just copy those that changed from the last backup. So if you are using word and such those files should be relatively small and the capacity needed won't increase that fast after the first backup. The bigger the capacity the more back in time you can go with timemachine.
    Anyway I would take the big one if you are mostly using it as a storage. It will be fast enough and speed is not really an issue there.
    You will also be able to partition it and adding for example a FAT32 for more compatibility, while still having enough space for your TimeMachine backup.

6. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Okay, well since one of you guys recommended LaCie, I went ahead and bought one of them at the Apple store. It's only 320GBs though, do you think it's enough?

Also, should I risk two day shipping with Buy.com? I'm leaving for Mexico for the rest of the year on Saturday, so I won't have any time to test it out and send it back if it's defective... I can test out the 320 GB now and make sure it's working fine, but I'm afraid to open it, because then I wouldn't be able to return it. =(

What do you guys think? Do you think it'll be enough storage space? I ended up paying $172 or so, and the Buy.com 500GB would be $162 with a coupon that I have... But I'd be cutting it rather close, even with two day shipping. (which is only about $5 right now...)

What do you guys think I should do?

7. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

You said you are just doing time machine right? If so you should be fine with 250 plus that 320gb. I mean you still have about 70gb of space for extraneous stuff, and unless you are working with big files, or have a massive media library that should be fine.

I got the lacie d2 quadra mentioned myself. Going to get it tomorrow. Getting one with the quad interface is great because you can connect it via any method. Going to take advantage of the FW800 transfer speeds myself as my 500gb will be for time machine and my media library.

I would do amazon. I believe its $150 but you get free shipping and no tax depending on where you live. Amazon is very on top of their shipping, whereas I can't attest to when buy.com will have yours shipped. You can do one day shipping for 3.99 more.

8. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

I'd recommend a WD MyBook Studio, they are formatted for the Mac and have all the hook-ups you'll ever need. I got my 750GB at Best Buy for $161 a couple months ago so there are deals to be had out there. LaCie makes a nice product too so you would be happy with it as well.

9. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

For how long have you had the Mybook? I've heard they die right when your warranty runs out. =(

Also, do you really think it'll be enough? I just found out I bought the old model ( http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10894 )

as opposed to the, according to Amazon, new model:
    ( http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11023 ).

So, I'm kinda worried maybe it won't be as reliable as I'm hoping... I dunno, maybe I'm just paranoid...
    Anyways, I was thinking about maybe returning it for another HDD... I'm just unsure.
    Because, this one is pretty much the only one that has the FireWire 800 port... Well, apart from the Mybook studio edition... Something which I'm kind of afraid to buy. =(

10. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

11. emac82 macrumors 6502

I have a 500GB MyBook with Firewire 400 and USB 2.0, it works great..I use it for Time Machine..

I would definitely get something with Firewire, USB is too sluggish.

12. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Again, for how long have you had it?
    Ever had any problems with it? Does it feel flimsy or sturdy?

Also, does it shut off when the HDD has been innactive for a while? I'm wondering because, if I get it for Time Machine, I wouldn't have to remember to turn it on every hour. :p
    And I'd like to know it could take that kind of hard labor every day. =)

13. mchank macrumors regular

Buy a separate hard drive from Seagate and an enclosure by Icydock from Newegg. You get a five year warranty with the drive and Icydock makes great enclosures. I've got two with firewire and usb and they're fantastic. Mybook drives have been reported to have lots of problems with faulty drives and bad firmware.

14. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

I wish I would've made this thread a week earlier. Then I could. But, I can't. Buying an already made one is kind of my only option at the moment since I'm leaving for Mexico on Saturday. =(

15. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

16. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Is it going to be a mere aesthetic upgrade, or will it be a huge upgrade like the last one that makes it run like 30% better? <.<
    Arfg... Now I'm trying to figure out whether I should buy a Macbook Pro too... I really need one for AP Art and school... But I REALLY dislike having outdated equipment. =(

17. mchank macrumors regular

It going to be on the new platform, giving nice a performance boost, and a new graphics card. The boost will be a lot bigger than the small revision from Santa Rosa to Penryn.

18. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Do you know when it's going to be released? Because I'd love to have the latest MBP, but I DO really need this for this year. =(

19. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I read some benchmarks saying firewire 400 doesn't give that huge of an increase in speed over usb unfortunately. The firewire 800 does however. I believe I got these over at OWC.

Sorry OP, $179 is pricey for a 320gb unless you get like a 7200rpm hdd, quad interface. For a lacie its kind of $$ especially being an older model. I read that the Lacie extremes (which were the larger capacity models that came out at the same time as that version of the d2 quadra) had some stability and reliability issues. The new quadra has been touted as much improved. Real unfortunate, but what can you do?

20. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Well, the one that I got IS a 7200rpm drive. It also has a quad interface. =/ (http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10894)
    The only reason I got it over this one: http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11062 is because of the FireWire 800 interface. I heard it's a huge upgrade from USB. =/

21. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

That is good. That justifies the price more! Go for firewire 800 if you can't do esata.

I judge all my prices and stuff on amazons prices. Amazon is a good vendor and offers competitive pricing for new items compared to in stores....

http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-301108U...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1217996466&sr=8-5

Can you return it? Try going to best buy instead.

22. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

I was thinking about doing that, but upon scouring the Best Buy site I realised they didn't carry LaCie drives! D=
    And I was kind of nervous to buy another model... So yeah. <.<''

23. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I really suggest going through amazon. I ordered a stethoscope kit today and it is coming to me tomorrow. Even from mexico, I think you can return it by just shipping a defective product back to them. Returns are initiated through the site, and it is easy to do.

24. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

The problem is next-day delivery is $47 or so... And two day shipping is a tad risky due to the fact that it says *will arrive somewhere between August 9th and 19th*. I can't risk it taking longer, you know? =(
    Then I'd have spent over one hundred dollars only to have to wait another year to get my HDD. =(

25. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Shoot! I keep forgetting not everyone has a Prime account. Besides that I can vouch for their timeliness, as they have always delivered the product on the date they promise. Sorry op. Perhaps you should just keep that drive.