external HDD dock question (internal HDD for external use)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rawdawg, Jul 16, 2009.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

A few months ago I bought the NewerTech USB 2.0 Universal Drive adapter. I was going to purchase my first laptop and knew there would be drives I could take from my G4. This was my first real experience with USB 2.0 and boy do I hate it. I do mostly video editing and I very regularly transfer huge amounts of data from drive to drive. USB 2.0 waaaaay too slow compared to what I was used to. Hours to transfer 40Gbs. I now regret not getting a FireWire enclosure.

How does everyone feel about those HDD docks that take SATA drives? To me it seems very economical. I understand a smaller bus powered drive would be good for travel because a dock or larger drive needs a power source.

The problem is my existing drives are PATA/IDE, not SATA. I was going to ask where to find older PATA docks or a recommendation for a PATA enclosure but then I thought I could buy this IDE to SATA adapter and try to use it with a SATA HDD dock so that in the future I'll already have a SATA dock when I need more space and want to get a nice huge 1Tb or 2Tb SATA drive.

Think it'll work? If so, what docks are most recommended? I hope to use this FW800 (or possibly eSATA if I buy a card) with my MBP. Faster is better. Advice?

2. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

no replies..... that's normal for my posts... well thanks for looking anyhow

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

All the docks and adapters I've seen use USB2, so that wouldn't help.

You need a full enclosure to get FW400/800 capability.

4. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I'm sure they make PATA docks. Another solution would be to buy a PATA/USB2 cable and a large SATA drive and move the data to the new SATA drive (since they're so cheap these days). This way you're not using SATA drives and your dock and won't need the PATA cable anymore.

5. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Other World Computing sells docks that are FW 400/800 as well as USB2.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Thanks - hadn't seen those. I have a Newer Universal, and I've seen some other docks (at geeks.com, for instance), but not FW. Good to know.

edit: I believe this is what you're referring to, but it's SATA drives only: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/FWU2ES2HDK/

7. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I have a Vantec NexStar I got from tigerdirect... works great for both 3.5 and 2.5 SATA drives. I use it when I need to swap drives, back up stuff, and don't have time to fumble around with bolting the drive into an enclosure.

Only problem is that it is bulky, and requires a 5V DC adapter. I'd rather have something that is USB bus powered.