External HDD Won't Work Through FW?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Shake 'n' Bake, May 2, 2009.

1. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Hello,

After I rebooted a reset the PRAM on my mini, my external HDD isn't recognized through FW by my mini or my PC. After the PRAM was reset, it took a long time to start up. The HDD works on both the mini and PC through USB.

What happened?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Two things -

Long boot up probably is because there isn't a specified startup volume - it's taking time to scan for a bootable partition. Use System Preferences > Startup Disk to specify your boot partition.

On the FW - do any other devices work? If so, that would isolate the problem to the drive. Otherwise, try resetting the SMC (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1543)

3. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Thanks. The SMC is for portables, but I disconnected the power and help the power button.

I connected my Sony camcorder and iMovie recognized it, so it has to be the drive.

Oh, and the long boot up is now even faster than before.

4. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

UPDATE:

I unplugged my HDD for about a minute then plugged it back in via FW and it works! I then did a Time Machine backup, and that was preparing for awhile, but is now back to normal.

Thanks for your help!

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Glad you got it running.

I had given the wrong link to the SMC reset procedure. I fixed the URL, so it now points to the correct article (covers the iMac and Mac Mini). (I'm assuming it's an Intel Mini, otherwise it's a PMU.)