External iSight for University Lectures

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macnerd93, Sep 4, 2011.

1. macnerd93, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

macnerd93 macrumors 6502a

macnerd93

Okay so I "Finally" managed to successfully find a mint almost brand new fully boxed and complete external Apple iSight Camera (ebay FTW), but having never owned one (just always wanting one for the look of it) I'm not too sure what I'll be able to use it for XD.

So I was thinking as an external Microphone and the fact that my built in iSight is static fitted into the screen with this i'd be able to move it around etc.

I was thinking about using it for when I start university, for recording lecturers etc as i've heard it has an awesome noise supression double Mic system built in. Having looked at test videos the quality is adequate and easily beats most of todays budget webcams, but hey its from 2003, the audio quality is more important to me, i'll be coupling it with a 13'' MacBook Pro & already have a firewire 800 to 400 cable so that isn't an issue either.

I know i'll most likely have to ask permission to record a lecture during classes, but I'll notify and arrange it all with my lecturer beforehand if I ever need to do it.

What I wanted to know is how would the built in Mic system be in this type of large roomed environment?

thanks a lot

Ryan

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The iSight has a pretty good mic, but it is also not too directional. It should work better than the internal mic, though. You might have to post process the audio (normalize, gain) to bring up the speech levels.

If you can get a good directional (cardioid) voice mic, that would be better yet. We have a nice Behringer that has selectable patterns and also a low freq. cutoff filter that reduces floor "rumble" noise. It does require phantom power and is XLR, so you would need an adapter for that. Blue has something called "Icicle" that provides power and A/D through USB. No driver needed.

3. macnerd93 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macnerd93

they are too big, I want something which is just gonna sit on my laptop not take an entire desk up

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

What about this one http://assets.gearlive.com/blogimages/Eyeball_2.0_.JPG

Produced by the same company but a tad compacter and pretty good quality

5. swedefish macrumors 6502

As someone with eight years at uni and counting, DO NOT expect to be allowed to film your lectures. I am in the UK and many of our professors have made very clear that one is not allowed to record audio without their explicit permission.

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

True however he did say:

7. swedefish, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

swedefish macrumors 6502

Oopsie. Well, it is something worth stating twice. Many academics are very protective of their material. As a matter of fact, unless I had very good reasons for needing video of lectures (e.g. a documented learning disability), I would not even ask to film the lectures. That said, I am at a conservative and technophobic university so it might be different if one is at a more modern university.

8. macnerd93, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

macnerd93 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macnerd93

I only wanted it as an easy way to record audio cos i've heard the onboard Mic system is pretty good (not video) i got the iSight so cheap, but yeah its really not the end of the world either way. I'm sure i'll find a use for the iSight, most likely for Time Lapse videos or something of sorts in good old iMovie HD '06.