Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
I am looking for an external NVME enclosure for a Macbook Pro Mid 2015. Most enclosures I see around have this UCB-C port or Thunderbold 3 or 4. I have none of these ports in my Mac. Only USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt 2. Some of these enclosures also have this recommend/non-recommend drive list to make things more complicated.
Now, I would also like to be able to use the enclosure when a buy a new MacBook Pro, probably next year.

Has anyone used an NVME enclosure with this MacBook Pro and which one would you recommend?

Thank you.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Most nvme enclosures I've seen are USB3.1 gen2.

This is "backward-compatible" with the USB3 ports on a 2015 MBP.

Just use a cable with USBc on one end, and USB3 ("a" port with a blue "tip") on the other.

You won't get the highest speeds that USB3.1 gen2 is capable of, because you have only a USB3 port. Expect to see read speeds around 430MBps or so...

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Most nvme enclosures I've seen are USB3.1 gen2.

This is "backward-compatible" with the USB3 ports on a 2015 MBP.

Just use a cable with USBc on one end, and USB3 ("a" port with a blue "tip") on the other.

You won't get the highest speeds that USB3.1 gen2 is capable of, because you have only a USB3 port. Expect to see read speeds around 430MBps or so...
Yeap I am aware of the speed limitations.

I was just looking for recommendation in terms of brand/model and if anyone has experienced these enclosures specifically with this Macbook Pro.

Anyhow, I did find one that seems to fit the bill for my needs specially because it has a usb-c to usb-a cable but it's a bit pricy:

Sabrend also has a cheaper one but does not provide a usb-c to usb-a cable or adapter which makes it inconvenient for my case. I could of course need to buy a usb-c to usb-a cable/adapter but I am concerned it might not play nice with enclosure.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Of the two above, DO NOT buy the first one -- too much money for what you get.

If you get the second one, just get another cable, like this:
Just wondering... do you already have the nvme drive?
Or... have you not bought one yet?

If you HAVE NOT bought one yet, I have an easier solution:
Get a Samsung t7 "Shield", like this:
It may even come with BOTH cables.

Reactions: polanskiman

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Of the two above, DO NOT buy the first one -- too much money for what you get.
Yes I scratched that one. Too expensive for what it is. So I bought the second one for 37usd delivered and tax/duty paid which seems more reasonable. But funny/sad enough Amazon changed without my consent the shipping method 2 days after I made the payment. They arbitrarily switched the order for their fast delivery method (AmazonGlobal Priority Shipping) making me pay 60USD. WTF. I realized this only because this morning when I received a notification from my bank the amount did not match the initial order. First time in my life a marchant does this and I have ordered literally thousands of products online. I even have the prove of the initial order amount so this is not just me making a mistake. Is this common practice with Amazon? Of course I already complained to them and they told me to wait for the product to arrive after which I could complain again lol.

If you get the second one, just get another cable, like this:
That's exactly what I did yesterday. Just bought some cable from Aliexpress.

Just wondering... do you already have the nvme drive?
Or... have you not bought one yet?
I already have the drives.

danielristic

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2022
I have an early MPB 2015 (the last MBP that can still have a removable nvme drive I believe) and regardless of the encloseres I've tried (sabrent and two different ones from ugreen) I can never boot from a drive that's in the enclosure (while the same drive boots internally no problem). Anyone tried that? It there any reason why the easly MPB 2015 won't boot from an nvme drive that's inside an enclosure?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.