Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

External SSD for Game Engines

asawesome07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2018
Hi all, I have a late 2015 iMac 27 inch with a 1TB HDD. I have noticed that starting up applications is very slow. So I have decided to switch to an external SSD for installing Apps. I don't want to boot from it though. Is that system going to work and are the load times significantly different and also should I get a USB3 SSD or TB2 SSD?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Is that system going to work and are the load times significantly different and also should I get a USB3 SSD or TB2 SSD?
I'm running macOS completely on an external SSD and the speed is quite noticable. I'm using a USB drive, and I the last time I checked, the benchmarks for USB3/TB2 were such that it USB was just about as fast as TB but much cheaper. I opted for the Samsung T3 (though they're up to the T5 now).

Comment

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hi all, I have a late 2015 iMac 27 inch with a 1TB HDD. I have noticed that starting up applications is very slow. So I have decided to switch to an external SSD for installing Apps. I don't want to boot from it though. Is that system going to work and are the load times significantly different and also should I get a USB3 SSD or TB2 SSD?

Usb 3 ssd will work just as well, I would boot from it though if I was using this solution and just use the internal drive for media and files storage.

Comment

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
also should I get a USB3 SSD or TB2 SSD?
I think the TB2 drive would be faster, but a lot more money. I am sure you would see a very noticeable difference in load speeds with the USB3 drive.

Yes, TB2 will be faster, but those drives are too pricey for me.
I don't want to boot from it though.
I am sure you have your reasons for not wanting to boot from the external drive, but you could always have an external boot drive, and use your internal HDD as a backup. You could back it up every day using CCC or some other software.

I don't use external boot drives anymore, but I used to a lot. I remember making the free space of an iPod Mini into a boot drive for trouble shooting issues.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.