External SSD thunderbolt? Anyone?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by imjoee, Dec 4, 2012.

1. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

I was looking into an elgato 120gb SSD thunderbolt for 600$, on amazon for 280$ right now, anyone know of another brand/product? Do you use an external SSD instead of paying that premium price that apple offers?

2. dmw16 macrumors regular

I believe the most cost effective option is to get a seagate goflex (mobile version) and your own SSD and it it inside the enclosure.

3. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Not any more it's not.

Lacie are selling USB3/TB dual "Rugged" SSDs in 120 and 250GB sizes for $200 and $350 with thunderbolt cable included in the box.

4. imjoee thread starter macrumors 6502

imjoee

So that's the best way to go? The LaCie

5. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

It's the way I'm going for my new 27". The drive and the iMac are on their way to me ;)

It's a painless solution that gives you great performance with no need for me to open up the iMac the day I get it. I can leave it all as-is and yet still get 90% of the performance of an internal SSD - the thunderbolt connection is essentially PCI-e right to the drive, so the only real compromises you are making is in the SATA controller in the external (rather than the main platform controller on the motherboard) and any overhead introduced by the thunderbolt system itself. Both are going to be slight.

Certainly it's worth it for me so I don't have to open up the iMac while its brand new and under 3 year AppleCare, and I also don't have to pay crazy money up front for a 768GB SSD (or go with Fusion, which is good but not really how I wanted to manage my storage).

6. majkom macrumors 65816

Well, if you pay 200 dollars for 120gigs lacie, isnt it better to pay 250 for fussion and just split SSD and HDD within imac? just my 2c

7. EPiCDiNGO macrumors member

EPiCDiNGO

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i think bootcamp requires an internal drive

so you can have boot camp on internal and osx on external

with the lacie drive....can you swap out the sad rather easily in the enclosure?

9. Chihawk725 macrumors member

Could not agree more.

10. gagaliya macrumors 6502

soooooooooo ugly.

11. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

apple loves you!

12. dmw16 macrumors regular

Another option if you don't mind spending a bit more for a lot more space would be finding a refurb 4TB LaCie 2Big drive. I have one setup in RAID0 and it's fast. 300MB/s+ both read and write.

13. zhandri macrumors 6502

14. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

15. Arman macrumors regular

As mentioned before the LaCie drive is an option. The advantage is it has both TB and USB3 so it would be compatible with non-TB devices as well. Also, FYI, orange bumper around the drive is removable.

Another option is the Buffalo Ministation SSD. Not sure when this will be available.

FYI, both drives are end TB configuration meaning they have to be the last drive connected on a daisy chain setup. Probably not anything you would have to worry about. This would come into play if you had 3 of them, in which case you could only connect two to your iMac at any one time.

16. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Not really. I like that I can simply disconnect my boot drive in the event that I need to send the iMac in for repair, and also that I can take it with me to another Mac so I essentially have my whole machine "on the go".

I also still have that internal port available at some point in the future if I want to put in an SSD blade.

17. Yeroon macrumors member

Yeroon

But if you want a 512 GB SSD the Seagate GoFlex is still the cheapest way to go, right? Or don't see many available external 512 GB SSD's at the moment.

18. Mediva macrumors newbie

i would not recommend a 512gb ssd. the goflex adapter got some power problems because of the thunderbolt cable limit, the crucial m4 256gb works like a charm

19. 5piN macrumors member

I believe the Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter for GoFlex Desktop solves this problem as it comes with a power adapter. Costs a little more though...but allows daisy chaining