Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nordicappeal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hello! I plan to upgrade my Mac Pro 5.1 to the new iMac Pro for photo and video editing. My main income is from landscape photography and I have around 3 TB of photos and video. I currently have it all stored on two harddrives in the Mac Pro (raid), and external timemachine backup. My idea is to store photos and video on a G-Technology G-RAID. Is is sound to put a TM backup on this as well. How would you set it up in terms of external storage and backup? I have a backup disk stored at our warehouse and one at BackBlaze.

Any suggestion are very welcome! Thanks.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
I like using a NAS tucked away cleanly in the basement for backups with 3.5” drives.

Then use an external Thunderbolt enclosure to work from, that has 2.5” SATA SSDs. I like the form factor of the AkiTio Quad Mini, and the OWC Thunderbay 4 mini. You can’t complain about the performance either.

Hopefully in the next year or so external Thunderbolt PCIe SSDs will become more commonplace and come down in price.

I know some people that really like creating an external fusion drive in a quad enclosure as well. 2 HDs + 2 SSDs.

Reactions: nordicappeal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.