Extra black area around screen - Does it bother you?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by animenick65, Jul 1, 2008.

1. animenick65 macrumors 6502

I've been compairing the pictures of the first gen iPHone and the new 3G version and noticed that the screen on the new iPhone doesn't go quite as close to the edge as the first one did. To me, the original iPhone looked very nice with the screen so close to the edge. What do the rest of you think?

2. Sherb macrumors member

The first iPhone had the same distance from the edge, but you couldn't really see it unless you were out in the sunlight or any other bright light. Typically, for me, you couldn't even see it 95% of the time.

EIDT: Oh, that black border.. haha. I thought you were talking about something else. Never mind.

3. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Actually, that's not true.
    The new iPhone is the same width as the iPod touch (wider than the original iPhone). I'm presuming the relatively thick black bars are there for this reason.

I guess being an apple fan n all means we hold aesthetics in high regard and want the products to look perfect. I love the full black/white back, hate that it's plastic and hate these bars around the screen. To me, it makes it look cheap.
    Anyone else feel like chiming in on these bars?

4. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

I'm not liking the thicker black Bordet around the new iPhone, makes it look quite chunky really. I really love the look of the original iPhone and that's why I can't bear to sell it, I think its gonna be a classic. I've decided I'm gonna give it to my partner. And also use it ad a jailbrake phone.

5. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i think the 3G looks hell-a cheap all around. plastic all over, visiable screws, wider black frame. the phone is, imo, disgusting to look at after being graced with the gorgeous version 1 iphone.

but, since i have never personally owned an iphone and this will be my first...i have no choice to deal with the crappy look of it. after all is said and done, i'm buying it for the awesome UI and OS.....not the butt ugly design.

6. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Yeah it does bother me, I always preferred the original iPhone screen how it goes to the edges over the iPod touch border. It makes it look cheaper.

Also don't like the plastic back and the exposed screws.

iPhone v1 will be a classic design, id rather take the guts from an iPhone 3G and put it in the original.

7. Joined:
    Aug 20, 2005
    Oh dear Jesus - stop your whining! The additional black area is so minimal it's not worth worth loosing sleep over!

And I don't see the exposed screws everyone is crying about on any of the photos on the Apple site.

Get over it.

8. memesmith macrumors regular

I'm not bothers by the extra wide border, or the exposed screws on the bottom (you can see them clearly on the new intro video). Why? because I'm keeping my original iPhone. 3G? Schmee-gee!

9. knelto macrumors regular

The exposed screws are on the bottom of the iPhone. It goes: Mic, screw, dock connector, screw, speaker. I honestly don't care. The black borders don't bother me either. I think it's kind of an optical illusion to make the screen seem brighter. Pull down screens for projectors have black borders to make the projection seem more bright, I think.

10. animenick65 thread starter macrumors 6502

For those of you who don't know what we are talking about, check out the pictures below. The picture on the left is the original iPhone, the one on the right is the new one.

Attached Files:

11. slicecom macrumors 68020

The new bars don't bother me at all, though I suppose it would look better with them not there. However I'd take the plastic back over the 2 toned plastic and aluminum back of the original iPhone ANY day.

To me, the back of the original iPhone looks like an afterthought. I'd probably like it more if it was ALL aluminum, but the combination makes it look cheap.

12. mark34 macrumors 6502a

You do realize it is because of thinner bezel right? While I like the "wall to wall" look, I also like the idea of thinner bezel... a little closer to the iPod Touch look, which I prefer.

13. TheFam macrumors member

The thinner silver bezel on the 3G is sooooo much better than that thick bezel on the original. The aluminum/black backing on the original was tacky to me, I'm glad apple single-toned it this time.

14. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

Huh? What am I supposed to be looking for? Bars?

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

While I like the look of having the screen right to the edge, there's really nothing that I prefer about the look of the first iPhone compared to the iPhone 3G... The combination of minor changes just adds up to a better looking phone, IMHO.

16. animenick65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Look at the larger black bars on the side of the screen.

17. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

The new phone looks better than the original. It's a phone, not a woman, get over it.

18. mark34 macrumors 6502a

yikes, all you guys who prefer what you have seen of the iPhone 3G better watch out... the "iPhone 3G is BUDGET/downgrade" people are going to come and get you. They get rather worked up, so watch out.

19. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

After looking...I like the new one better. It looks better "framed" this way. :)

20. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I don't really like the thinner bezel and larger black bars...

But I'm sure it will help on accidental taps.

21. meagain macrumors 68030

I like it because there's more glass to swipe with. If using a case (incase for instance), I found it sometimes hard to touch the very edge of the screen as it was very close to the case. I suppose the extra black will make the screen pop a bit more.

22. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

The overall look of the iPhone 3G is better than the original iPhone all around (except on the bottom ;) the screws and speaker/mic aren't as nice looking but who cares about that)

Two tone=ugly
    Glossy black all over = Sexy and Sleek!

Huge chrome bezel = gaudy
    Thinner chrome bezel = Sexy and Sleek!

Plastic buttons = cheapo
    Metal Buttons = Sexy and Sleek!

..the new iPhone 3G is Sexy and Sleek!
    Me likey!!:D

23. gibbz macrumors 68030

Agreed. I had the same issue with my incase. Looks sweet to me.

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Plus. One.

The border is meaningless. You can only see it in direct sunlight when the iPhone is on, anyway. If you want it to be perfect, design your own. What? Can't do it? Then either buy what's out there or don't buy it.

25. animenick65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Which black part are you talking about? I'm talking about the actual plastic bar on the side of the screen, not the TINY portion of the screen that isn't illuminated with the rest.