Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmrdmd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Hi All
Does anyone know if there will be extra links available for purchase? I have large wrists and always need them. Based upon Apples measurements for the bands, I'll need them.
Thanks
Jan

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
Hi All
Does anyone know if there will be extra links available for purchase? I have large wrists and always need them. Based upon Apples measurements for the bands, I'll need them.
Thanks
Jan
I suggesting contacting Apple via chat and asking that question.

You probably won't get an answer, but they more people who ask, the more likely they'll offer extra links.

I'd offer to sell you some of my links, but I can't afford an Apple Watch.

jmrdmd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Thanks...I'll reach out to Apple and see what they say.
Jan

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks...I'll reach out to Apple and see what they say.
Jan

My Apple Chat produced this answer:
"At this time we do not have information on adding links to the Apple Watch but keep checking back as things change regularly."

My hope is that they will decide to sell spare links if we collectively pester them enough.

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Worse case scenario: buy an extra link bracelet for $449 and use the links from that.

Sounds expensive lol. I'm sure someone with a smaller wrist would be willing to sell a couple links they don't use.

That being said the way they talked about how they take 9 hours to cut and are all progressively different sizes makes me wonder if you could even add more in that easily.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
I thought I had huge wrists but am thinking I will take out one or two links for the kind of fit I want. It looks like there are 8 of the detachable links. I could easily see people selling them on eBay for about $20 each. I also think the Apple Stores are likely to have a few extra.

I do not think the removable links are progressive sizes but the ones up to them are.

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
Sounds expensive lol. I'm sure someone with a smaller wrist would be willing to sell a couple links they don't use.

That being said the way they talked about how they take 9 hours to cut and are all progressively different sizes makes me wonder if you could even add more in that easily.

I would think you can. I believe that the removable links are all the same size. I remember seeing a video of an Apple employee resizing the link bracelet, mixing up all the links, then putting some back in.

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I would think you can. I believe that the removable links are all the same size. I remember seeing a video of an Apple employee resizing the link bracelet, mixing up all the links, then putting some back in.

Good to know. I know apple said you can use the quick release buttons to remove some of the links without tools. It looks like there are about 8 of these on the 42mm version but i'm not sure if you need to leave at least 2 in place to lock it back in. The sizing chart said it fits from 140mm-205mm wrists. Do you guys think that sizing is with only removing the quick release ones or might there be more trickier sizing for wrists on the smaller end of the scale. I'm around 165mm so I wouldn't think I'd have an issue with the 42mm but I've been floating back and forth wondering if I should get the 38mm.

Either way, I certainly won't need some of mine since I have a small wrist. I can throw some of my unused ones up in the marketplace for cheap if people have any interest

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
Good to know. I know apple said you can use the quick release buttons to remove some of the links without tools. It looks like there are about 8 of these on the 42mm version but i'm not sure if you need to leave at least 2 in place to lock it back in. The sizing chart said it fits from 140mm-205mm wrists. Do you guys think that sizing is with only removing the quick release ones or might there be more trickier sizing for wrists on the smaller end of the scale. I'm around 165mm so I wouldn't think I'd have an issue with the 42mm but I've been floating back and forth wondering if I should get the 38mm.

Either way, I certainly won't need some of mine since I have a small wrist. I can throw some of my unused ones up in the marketplace for cheap if people have any interest

I'm almost certain that the 140–205mm sizing is referring to quick-release links only. I find it very hard to believe that they would advertise the band as fitting a certain wrist size only with special adjustments to the band. As for the number of links, there are actually at least 12 total (here's a thread I posted a while back that not many people saw: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1849148/). You should be perfectly fine with the 42mm. I have around 168mm wrists, and I'm going with the 42mm stainless steel watch with link bracelet as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.