Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Are there any places selling some RAM that would work in the MBP for cheap this Black Friday? Would love to change this 2GB into a 4GB machine! Do I need one 2GB stick?

jameskohn

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Connecticut
2Gb to 4 Gb upgrade requires 2 x 2Gb sticks... both of your 1Gb sticks have to come out.

I've been watching the thread quoted above for $39 2Gb RAM for our MBP's. It's probably fine, but I'm just a little bit leery. When I order my RAM I'll probably get it from one of the better known online retailers, some of whom even give small rebates for the 2 1Gb sticks you'll be taking out. At the end of the day I'll be paying all of about $10 - $20 more, but I won't have to wonder if the RAM I bought is really the very best stuff. I know I'm being overly cautious, but for such a small difference it's just not worth it to me to risk compromising such a high quality, relatively expensive machine.

spank2223

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
I know there is a buyer guide for ram on here...does anyone have a personal preference. This is my first time with a mac and was thinking of upgrade my MBP SR to 4gig. thanks.

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
I know there is a buyer guide for ram on here...does anyone have a personal preference. This is my first time with a mac and was thinking of upgrade my MBP SR to 4gig. thanks.

my personal preference is OWC ram since i live only 50 miles from their distribution center and get extremely fast/cheap shipping... not to mention they have good products

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
2Gb to 4 Gb upgrade requires 2 x 2Gb sticks... both of your 1Gb sticks have to come out.

I've been watching the thread quoted above for $39 2Gb RAM for our MBP's. It's probably fine, but I'm just a little bit leery. When I order my RAM I'll probably get it from one of the better known online retailers, some of whom even give small rebates for the 2 1Gb sticks you'll be taking out. At the end of the day I'll be paying all of about $10 - $20 more, but I won't have to wonder if the RAM I bought is really the very best stuff. I know I'm being overly cautious, but for such a small difference it's just not worth it to me to risk compromising such a high quality, relatively expensive machine.

You are leery of Frys? Really? Well, seeing as its probably bigger then any other online retailer you can name thats not a big box chain (which would have super high prices) then I'm going to call shenanigans.

To anyone who is interested, this is a great deal. OCZ (off the top of my head thats the brand they're selling) is an excellent RAM brand and Frys is one of the most reputable stores on the planet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.