Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I called AT&T today about this and they cleared out the overage charges on the data for me and as per there suggestion I turned off cellular data for almost everything. I then called Apple and they told me that it was the fault of the carriers and that Verizon pushed out an update but AT&T and Sprint need to catch up.

I am not sure who to believe but I think that Apple is at fault. I reset my usage counter and will monitor it but this needs to be fixed ASAP.

Imac Sam

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Harrisonburg, Virginia
I called AT&T today about this and they cleared out the overage charges on the data for me and as per there suggestion I turned off cellular data for almost everything. I then called Apple and they told me that it was the fault of the carriers and that Verizon pushed out an update but AT&T and Sprint need to catch up.

I am not sure who to believe but I think that Apple is at fault. I reset my usage counter and will monitor it but this needs to be fixed ASAP.

Another reason I jumped the ship from AT&T, even though I had an unlimited data account on iphone4. AT&T don't give a hoot.

silver25u

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I noticed the excessive data use within a few days of getting my iPhone 5 at Launch so I called AT&T to complain. It goes without saying that I got nothing but the run around and condescending attitude from them. I was able to eventually get them to open a support ticket. I just rolled over to a new billing cycle so I called them today to get the charges removed from last months bill and they refused claiming they can't to anything until they "resolve" the open ticket.

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I noticed the excessive data use within a few days of getting my iPhone 5 at Launch so I called AT&T to complain. It goes without saying that I got nothing but the run around and condescending attitude from them. I was able to eventually get them to open a support ticket. I just rolled over to a new billing cycle so I called them today to get the charges removed from last months bill and they refused claiming they can't to anything until they "resolve" the open ticket.

The person I spoke to was very helpful and he wiped out my overages without me even asking him to do so. A lot of people complain about AT&T customer service but in my years with them I have never had a bad experience with them. They have always been nice and helpful and he saved me a 160 dollar usage charge today and that was only halfway through the billing cycle. I just hope they push an update out like Verizon did or Apple sends out an update to fix it as well

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
Are those of you who are getting burned by this problem keeping Cellular Data turned ON all the time?

If you are, then that's probably part of the problem right there. If you are using WiFi at home, then if you turn WiFi ON and turn Cellular Data OFF, then the phone will restrict all your data usage to WiFi. That way, your phone won't be able to use any data if the switch is turned off.

I have a 4S on AT&T and still on unlimited plan. If I'm at work, we have AT&T WiFi available, so I use that and keep Cellular Data off. When I leave work, I turn data back on since I'm leaving WiFi area. But when I get back home, again, I turn WiFi back ON and turn Cellular Data back OFF.

By doing this, it really doesn't give my phone much chance to do phantom downloading and racking up data usage. And I can still use my phone, pretty much, for everything that I need it.

Granted, if there's some issue with iOS 6 - heard something about WiFi issues - then I'm oblivious to that because I haven't yet (and don't plan to right now) taken the plunge by updating. Won't do it. I'm still comfortably on 5.1.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.