Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has Apple’s Innovative Magic Died?

• Yes, years ago

Votes: 69 25.7%
  • Maybe lately

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • No. They’re just as innovative!

Votes: 148 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The Good (or Great)
Apple Watch
AirPods
M1
iOS
macOS
Apple Music
-----------
Privacy

The Bad
Homekit
Homepod
AppleTV+
Apple News
------------
Moral aggrandizing, hypocrisy

The Ugly
Siri
Butterfly Keyboards
Trashcan Mac Pro
-----------
China Capitulation, tax shelters, Foxconn
When you compare this to what Jobs did as CEO, this is actually very favorable.

The difference is Jobs did it first.

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
Honestly I don't understand how anyone can look at the redesigned iPads, M1 performance, Apple Watch, Airpods, etc. and conclude that Apple isn't innovating anymore. I think it might be because people let their nostalgia for past products cloud their opinion of Apple's current lineup.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
A soldered 256 GB SSD with estimated 150 TBW is your idea of longevity?
It's not 150TBW, its 1600TBW for a 256GB SSD.

My MBP 256GB SSD got to around 1% used when it wrote 15TBW.
get your facts right. Many people on the ARM Mac thread also reported the same 1600TBW for 256GB SSD.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
Since this thread was made on 21 April I think your salty since the new iMac came with a chin and white bezels.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Honestly I don't understand how anyone can look at the redesigned iPads, M1 performance, Apple Watch, Airpods, etc. and conclude that Apple isn't innovating anymore. I think it might be because people let their nostalgia for past products cloud their opinion of Apple's current lineup.
It's because of the lacklustre presentations. Nobody can deny Steve Jobs' immaculate presentation skill, that he can present anything, no matter how lacklustre, into something that you thought is amazing. Simply watch the first iPhone keynote. We know it's bad by today's standard, but after watching it again, there's a tiny desire wanting to buy it again.

The current Apple doesn't have this magical show person anymore. Thus even though Apple kept making great products and innovations, the less techie public (let's face it, many people here are not as techie as they think they are) are not as awed simply because the presenters are not as magical. I mean we can watch the most recent Apple keynotes, and despite their ridiculous production value, the people presenting just don't have the same gravitas as Jobs. Craig is the closest in terms of enthusiasm, but he's mostly just software.

hopsenberry

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2015
There was a period when Apple was re-inventing entire product categories. iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, etc.

When they DON'T do something that revolutionizes the whole industry people become disappointed...

hopsenberry

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2015
It's because of the lacklustre presentations. Nobody can deny Steve Jobs' immaculate presentation skill, that he can present anything, no matter how lacklustre, into something that you thought is amazing. Simply watch the first iPhone keynote. We know it's bad by today's standard, but after watching it again, there's a tiny desire wanting to buy it again.

The current Apple doesn't have this magical show person anymore. Thus even though Apple kept making great products and innovations, the less techie public (let's face it, many people here are not as techie as they think they are) are not as awed simply because the presenters are not as magical. I mean we can watch the most recent Apple keynotes, and despite their ridiculous production value, the people presenting just don't have the same gravitas as Jobs. Craig is the closest in terms of enthusiasm, but he's mostly just software.
The public doesn't watch keynotes. Nobody watches them outside of the tech press and die hard Apple fans.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The public doesn't watch keynotes. Nobody watches them outside of the tech press and die hard Apple fans.
The ones watching the keynotes, including people here, the "tech" press, and die hard Apple "fans," are often not as techie they think they are. Most of them have no clue how the things they have work nor come from. The innovations that Apple keeps doing are behind the scenes, such as to the point that Apple can have the fastest mobile SoC on the planet. Thus without the magical showman, these people are less excited since they correlate innovations with bombastic presentation.

The actual general lay public don't care. Apple's continually record breaking revenue show what the public think of Apple. :)

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
I’m not so sure that Apple knows what the **** it’s doing.
:apple: My overall confidence in their pipeline and visionary mythology of introducing show-stopping products that are revolutionary and exciting may very well have died with Steve Jobbs.

Don't put all of this on Apple. They are merely providing tools for us to use. From my exploration of Apple's frameworks and SDKs, we haven't yet realized the full potential of the Mac, iPad, and iPhone. Very few apps truly use everything Apple is providing to the fullest extent.

If you want someone to blame, look at what the software developers are doing, or failing to do.

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
Don't put all of this on Apple. They are merely providing tools for us to use. From my exploration of Apple's frameworks and SDKs, we haven't yet realized the full potential of the Mac, iPad, and iPhone. Very few apps truly use everything Apple is providing to the fullest extent.

If you want someone to blame, look at what the software developers are doing, or failing to do.

Unfortunately, this leads right back to Apple, because they just don't provide nearly the level of support and assistance for developers that Microsoft does for people coding for Windows.

With Apple, there's a long history of only selectively offering help coding something to run on their platform, when Apple takes a personal interest in its success (perhaps wanting to showcase it during a Keynote speech, or when it thinks the application is so popular, it will clearly boost sales of the hardware). This isn't new. It's been part of the Apple culture for decades. (Go back to the earlier days of OS X, when Blizzard's World of Warcraft was still fairly new and extremely popular as an online multiplayer game. You'd regularly see notes in the OS X point release updates that OpenGL and other bugs were fixed because they broke something in World of Warcraft. That just didn't happen with almost any other game title coded for the Mac. And many developers got frustrated with the difficulty in coding around bugs or working with limitations OS X imposed, that they couldn't get help with -- unlike Blizzard in that situation. That drove many to stop trying to write for the Mac.)

Reactions: InuNacho

TheLinkster

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2001
I really doubt that Jobs management style would endear him to the current generation of workers. You need that kind of driven individual to get people out of their comfort zone to do their best work. Today we applaud mediocrity and everyone needs affirmation.
Precisely why we need him.

Reactions: Deliro

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Precisely why we need him.
You say that yet have no clue as to how he’s have run Apple today had he not passed away when he did.

It’s hilarious seeing people think that past performance is a guarantee of future value.

The man’s dead. Let him be.

lsbsonoma

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
:apple: My overall confidence in their pipeline and visionary mythology of introducing show-stopping products that are revolutionary and exciting may very well have died with Steve Jobbs.
what have you done lately that is note worthy.

Reactions: TiggrToo

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

Apple Watch (cough)
M1 (cough)

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Unfortunately, this leads right back to Apple, because they just don't provide nearly the level of support and assistance for developers that Microsoft does for people coding for Windows.

With Apple, there's a long history of only selectively offering help coding something to run on their platform, when Apple takes a personal interest in its success (perhaps wanting to showcase it during a Keynote speech, or when it thinks the application is so popular, it will clearly boost sales of the hardware). This isn't new. It's been part of the Apple culture for decades. (Go back to the earlier days of OS X, when Blizzard's World of Warcraft was still fairly new and extremely popular as an online multiplayer game. You'd regularly see notes in the OS X point release updates that OpenGL and other bugs were fixed because they broke something in World of Warcraft. That just didn't happen with almost any other game title coded for the Mac. And many developers got frustrated with the difficulty in coding around bugs or working with limitations OS X imposed, that they couldn't get help with -- unlike Blizzard in that situation. That drove many to stop trying to write for the Mac.)
That is what I miss about the early OS X days up to around the tail end of Snow Leopard, the software gap was getting smaller and smaller. Then things just went to hell in recent years with lackluster hardware and poor frameworks and the switch to Metal.

Reactions: kingtj1971
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.