Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waitandwait

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Singapore
No new MacBook Pro
No new Apple Watch 2
No new Thunderbolt Display.

Besides iMessage & Photos, the WWDC only introduces refinements which Android had already introduced in the past few years.

It seems Apple will only release hardwares during September-November and assume everyone has the cash to buy all their new hardwares then instead of doing the sensible by spreading the hardwares throughout the year. All the rumours are only making people hesitant to upgrade their software now.

It's no brainer why their revenues are dropping. 2016 is the year where Apple releases only 3 major products between January and June.

Extremely terrible marketing.

Reactions: decio

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
No new MacBook Pro
No new Apple Watch 2

Besides iMessage & Photos, the WWDC only introduces refinements which Android had already introduced in the past few years.

It seems Apple will only release hardwares during September-November and assume everyone has the cash to buy all their new hardwares then instead of doing the sensible by spreading the hardwares throughout the year. All the rumours are only making people hesitant to upgrade their software now.

It's no brainer why their revenues are dropping. 2016 is the year where Apple releases only 3 major products between January and June.

Well the watch is a Fad and the laptop sales are declining across the board be it windows or MacOS.

Kiwikat88

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
Texas

How is that any different from previous years? Android has been ahead of iOS in features for at least 4 years now. Not arguing that Android did it better or that it was more polished, but it definitely did many things first.

That being said I'm still probably going to switch to an iPhone 7+ when my Note 4 contract is up...

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
the retina macbooks were FIRST INTRODUCED during this event so....

And in the last 3 years, 0 major hardware announcements at WWDC. At such a big developer event as WWDC it makes sense to focus on things like the new software features that developer can use to increase their profits.

And a separate event for new MBPs let's the hardware stand out from the rest of the announcements.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
No new MacBook Pro
No new Apple Watch 2

So when is iPhone and iPad gonna be released? Probably in fall.
When is Apple Watch 2 gonna be released? Who knows.. Maybe January...or March.
Point being: are they even in their schedule book to talk about those?

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
No new MacBook Pro
No new Apple Watch 2

I could not disagree with you more and I'm a Surface/Windows guy.

Apple never once said these devices were coming, the rumour mill assumed it was and people treated it like fact.
You are getting annoyed with Apple for not releasing a product they never spoke of in the first place, surely you must see this makes no sense.

I never understand this cost arguments but I am open to your explanation, I've read another comment a while ago mentioning this and all I could think was bad money management.
For example, I was expecting a good microsoft phone last year, I had the cash and was ready to buy it but they announced a dud, the money went straight back into my savings account where it remains until I find a phone worthy of replacing my Lumia 1520, it does not matter if a phone comes out tomorrow or December the savings are there.

You can't say this is poor marketing as they never marketed this as a 'new device' event.

Last edited:

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I could not disagree with you more and I'm a Surface/Windows guy.

Apple never once said these devices were coming thr rumour mill assunes it was and people treated it like fact.
You are getting nnoyed with Apple for not releasing a product they necer spoke of in the first place, surely you must see this makes no sense.

I never understand this cost arguments but I am open to your explanation, I've read another comment a while ago mentioning this and all I could think was bad money management.
For example, I was expecting a good microsoft phone last year, I had the cash and was ready to buy it but they announced a dud, the money went straight back into my savings account where it remains until I find a phone worthy of replacing my Lumia 1520, it does not matter if a phone comes out tomorrow or December the savings are there.

You can't say this is poor marketing as they never marketed this as a 'new device' event.
As a Windows guy, I couldn't disagree with you more :)

No where did he say Apple promised anything, he just simply said that Apple is not releasing new products quickly enough. Microsoft already released the SP4 last fall, which included Intel's Skylake. Apple products don't have Skylake.

Heck, my Dell has skylake and TB3. It's an awesome experience with my TB3 dock, yet Apple is dragging their feet to upgrade their products to the latest CPU architecture. Please keep in mind that Kabylake is coming out in just 5-6 months.

Even non Intel based products such as their external monitor is half a decade old or their wifi router is still using first gen 802.11 AC. I think third gen AC is out? Apple TV doesn't have 4k yada yada yada. The list goes on and on.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
WWDC = Worldwide (Software) Developer Conference.

No need to dilute the new MacBook Pros message by dropping it into a crammed announcement schedule.

Since 2005, they have released hardware most of the years during WWDC.

It's the world wide developer conference . Developer does not mean just software .
[doublepost=1465943468][/doublepost]

No where did he say Apple promised anything, he just simply said that Apple is not releasing new products quickly enough. Microsoft already released the SP4 last fall, which included Intel's Skylake. Apple products don't have Skylake.

Heck, my Dell has skylake and TB3. It's an awesome experience with my TB3 dock, yet Apple is dragging their feet to upgrade their products to the latest CPU architecture. Please keep in mind that Kabylake is coming out in just 5-6 months.

Even non Intel based products such as their external monitor is half a decade old or their wifi router is still using first gen 802.11 AC. I think third gen AC is out? Apple TV doesn't have 4k yada yada yada. The list goes on and on.

And there lies the problem, if we get hardware at the end of the year, and its skylake , the updated macs will be out of date very soon, while brand new. Apple needs to sort out its timings

RandomRazer

Suspended
Jun 14, 2016
And in the last 3 years, 0 major hardware announcements at WWDC. At such a big developer event as WWDC it makes sense to focus on things like the new software features that developer can use to increase their profits.

And a separate event for new MBPs let's the hardware stand out from the rest of the announcements.
whihc unfortunately will prob be in OCTOBER

Reactions: Queen6

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London

Op mentions devices which he wanted to be released today i.e. Op was expecting something today plus he said because of the rumours he is reluctant to make a purchase now and is holding off, the rumours were not published by Apple so they should not be used as a reason to complain.

The Macrumours advice has always been if you can wait; wait if not buy now.

Apple has always been on its own schedule even when Steve was here, it can be frustrating but we know this is the Apple way.

If you want latest specs you go Windows, I believe when they do release the new laptops we will see a more frequent silent updates for a while until the next design change.

For me I saw similar complaints when Apple TV got demoted to hobby.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yup. Developers love the new emojis that Apple announced at WWDC.
It's not like there hasn't been anything else being discussed this whole week there.
[doublepost=1466006572][/doublepost]
Welcome to the club of the disappointment. Apple is not Apple anymore.
More like Apple isn't some imaginary thing that some people like to pretend that it supposedly was and should be.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
IMO, and again, this is just my opinion, Kaby Lake is overrated. Sure it's going to be good but it's just an incremental increase just like how Skylake was to Haswell.

The "features" that Kaby Lake brings to the table, most will probably make its way to Skylake Macbook Pro's or wont matter even if Kaby Lake drops.

Kaby Lake Features quoted from this post: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...or-future-update.1976246/page-4#post-22979556

1. Native USB 3.1 (generation 2) support Skylake MBPs will have additional chips to run Thunderbolt 3.0 and USB 3.1 in the USB-C form factor for sure. Sure Kaby Lake will have native support but it's not like Skylake MBP wont have it.
  2. Support for Thunderbolt 3 Same as above. Skylake MBP will defintiely have Thunderbolt 3.
  3. Up to four cores as the default mainstream configuration 15" MBP's will also have 4 cores 8 threads.
  4. Support for Intel Octane Technology Unless Apple decides to use Octane SSDs, which would be awesome. I doubt they'll actually opt to go that route even when Kaby Lake is released. Apple is generally conservative with new technologies like that. Not impossible, but I think it's unlikely. It'll be awesome if they did.
  5. Full fixed function HEVC Main10/10-bit decoding acceleration & VP9 10-bit decoding acceleration (iTunes, AirPlay, ...) A nice to have but wont be a deal breaker for most people.

High Desert

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2015
Powell Butte, Or.
An observation here, and not meaning to be cynical, but as an PC person having moved to IOS / MBP retina, I am always amazed at how quick people are to want the latest / greatest regardless of release cycles (discounting older, unsupported products). Maybe I am getting too long in the tooth to appreciate having to have something new every year or being able to afford it. I moved to the MBP because it offered better photo editing ability than most PC systems. Since then, there are better PC systems out there, but I am not throwing my rig over the side and moving on. On the other hand, under Apple's current leadership, innovation and giving consumers what is wanted has gone away. Apple's core business has become the iPhone, which imo is not a very good product when compared to Android offerings and is normally pretty far behind the curve. Having spent 30 years in the tech business, a person has to resolve themselves to a very simple statement: "Plan on whatever you purchase being obsolete within 30 days after purchase". You can procrastinate, plan, look forward, but once you pull the trigger, whatever you buy is old technology. Now, having said that Apple tends to ride the horse as long as it can with what is out there and the (basic) emphasis is on quality, then performance, and simplicity. I think that is a good platform, however, with all the money they have, I would think they have someone there smart enough to come out with products that perform and match what consumers want - not something that locks consumers deeper into interlocking Apple products as a marketing ploy. Apple needs to go back to basics and the leadership needs to be a bit more forward thinking, not money driven or you can see the swirl in the toilet starting. I mean the apple watch.....really?????

Reactions: Queen6

RandomRazer

Suspended
Jun 14, 2016
An observation here, and not meaning to be cynical, but as an PC person having moved to IOS / MBP retina, I am always amazed at how quick people are to want the latest / greatest regardless of release cycles (discounting older, unsupported products). Maybe I am getting too long in the tooth to appreciate having to have something new every year or being able to afford it. I moved to the MBP because it offered better photo editing ability than most PC systems. Since then, there are better PC systems out there, but I am not throwing my rig over the side and moving on. On the other hand, under Apple's current leadership, innovation and giving consumers what is wanted has gone away. Apple's core business has become the iPhone, which imo is not a very good product when compared to Android offerings and is normally pretty far behind the curve. Having spent 30 years in the tech business, a person has to resolve themselves to a very simple statement: "Plan on whatever you purchase being obsolete within 30 days after purchase". You can procrastinate, plan, look forward, but once you pull the trigger, whatever you buy is old technology. Now, having said that Apple tends to ride the horse as long as it can with what is out there and the (basic) emphasis is on quality, then performance, and simplicity. I think that is a good platform, however, with all the money they have, I would think they have someone there smart enough to come out with products that perform and match what consumers want - not something that locks consumers deeper into interlocking Apple products as a marketing ploy. Apple needs to go back to basics and the leadership needs to be a bit more forward thinking, not money driven or you can see the swirl in the toilet starting. I mean the apple watch.....really?????
knwoing theres new macbooks coming out tho is different

Queen6

macrumors G4

Tend to agree, Apple now only produces the best product for Apple, not the customer, with the sole intention to force ever more uptake and purchase of Apple products & services, WWDC alone exemplifies this paradigm. Starting to look to me that your going to need a plethora of Apple companion devices, ever "feeding the beast" to shall we say get the full experience.

Not excited by Apple`s direction, nor do I see it changing anytime soon, with the focus on innovation long traded for pure profit. I can only foresee the interlocking of Apple products deepening ever further, in an attempt to embed the customer ever deeper into Apple`s ecosystem, with accompanying highly loaded margins.

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.