Extremely disappointed with Coolbook "license"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dudup, Sep 17, 2009.

1. dudup macrumors regular

dudup

I would like to just express my sincere disappointment with the fact that a Coolbook license will only work with a single Mac.

I've had a Rev. A MBA in which I've used Coolbook before, and now that I've sold it (and the current owner don't want to use Coolbook), I can't use it with my new Rev. C MBA.

Like a said in an email to Mr. Magnus Lundholm, the Coolbook developer, I would totally understand if he just asked to me to activate it again under a new machine. It would be a dumb limitation like those Windows activations Microsoft impose to their users, but I would be ok with that.

But that's ok, the fault is mine. I didn't read the fine print under a .rtf file included inside a dmg file. I didn't notice the footnote on top of the buy now button stating that I should search for that license term. I should be penalized as a consumer who really want to pay to use the software.

I know, I know, 10 usd is not that big deal, but it's not about the amount of money.

No wonder Apple doesn't support this software. This is really stupid.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Why do you think all Apple Software can be used on multiple systems? It doesn't.

Coolbook is a single mac license. You're right, it is your fault. No need to get mad at the developer because of that.

3. crackpip macrumors regular

It was his mistake for not reading the terms of the license, but at the same time it appears the developer does not allow you to move the license from one machine to another.

There are not many developers that don't allow you to delete a program off of one computer and put it on a new one. Certainly Apple doesn't. I would never purchase a program that restrictive.

crackpip

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So it's tied to both just you and that specific computer? That's not on.
    I'm very anti-piracy but stuff like that is just ridiculous.

5. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

That does sound very onerous. Can you post the term and the picture?

When you emailed him did you say that you'd made an honest mistake and would he consider helping in this instance, or did you say that it's a stupid requirement and you're disappointed?

AppleMatt

6. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

The OP shouldn't have to buy another copy of software that he's already bought if he's truly using it on one computer at a time.

Restrictive terms like this decrease customer goodwill and increase the likelyhood of piracy. Once you as a developer make it more of a hassle to deal with you legitimately than to simply steal your work, you're #%@&ed.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

OP didn;t say if he unregistered the Rev A before selling it. Therefore, for Coolbook's servers, it is still registered to that Rev A's system.

We all have seen this type of stuff on many other items. Games for Windows, iTunes Downloads, etc.

This is nothing new.

And for the OP to say "this is the reason Apple doesn't support it". Not true.

8. crackpip macrumors regular

He didn't, but it is implied by the sentence:
    A little awkward in terms of sentence structure but the implication that he wanted to unregister it is there.

A little digging turned up this (from the Manual of the program)
    I think this is a poor EULA, and I wouldn't support developers that use it.

crackpip

9. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i completely agree, i know a guy on the net was making a freeware version of it...i just do not remember what the sourceforge project was called.

thats limiting and a money making scheme if you ask me.

there deliberately not telling you the information until you buy the product or download the demo and sift through the manual.

regardless...the creator could make it more difficult to activate the thrid time by going through steps like microsoft does...to reactivate the program (such as microsoft does by calling them).

since he does not...and says sorry you have to pay me again.

i do not support coolbook at all.

10. dudup thread starter macrumors regular

dudup

Sorry, but you're totally wrong on this. You don't have to buy all your music/videos/apps again because you moved to a new computer.

You don't have to buy all your apps again when you move to a new iPhone.

I can remember the heavy criticism EA received because of a very limited number of activations on Spore.

And Coolbook doesn't have a "remove license" option. The license is attached to the machine. You lose the machine, you lose the right to use the software again.

I haven't said that.

11. dudup thread starter macrumors regular

dudup

Yeah, sorry for that, my english can get confusing some times :)

I would love to unregister the machine, if there was an option to do that. But there isn't.

So again, I don't care. I won't use it anymore. But I think it's worth it to tell my experience so others can think about it.

Really a shame.

12. 103734 Guest

Have you tried just contacting the developer? I've never had any problems when I contacted a developer of a small app like this asking for help when I lost my key, or needed to re download/activate a program, and I have done it 5-6 times.

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Actually you did say that in your first post:

Secondly, my iTunes downloads, if they're not backed up, I cannot redownload them without paying. If I forget to unauthorize my system before moving to a new system, iTunes won't let me deauthorize all (if i'm full) for a year. I see limitations everywhere, may not apply to one specific system like coolbook does but there are limitations.

I remember when I moved from my last rev A to my current rev C, I used the "Uninstall Coolbook" and I was able to transfer my license to the second machine.

14. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

Any company that won't let you transfer over your license to another computer is simply idiotic.

15. dudup thread starter macrumors regular

dudup

Wrong. You quoted me like I said this was *the* reason Apple doesn't support it. I haven't said that...

The comparisons you're doing regarding iTunes are totally non sense, but I don't see the point of this discussion. Sorry. Good for you that you like Coolbook's terms. I don't, so I won't be using it anymore. But actually if you are using the same license with a different Mac, you're illegal. ;)

16. dudup thread starter macrumors regular

dudup

I did, it was my first reaction -- I thought it could an issue regarding SL or something like that. The reply was:

17. AIRniloc macrumors regular

AIRniloc

well, magnus has always been both pleasant and quick to respond when I've sent him emails...

Although I don't like that you have to pay $10 per computer (I have paid for it twice), I just can't go without coolbook on my laptops anymore..

If I bought a new laptop tomorrow, i'd be tossing down another $10 as well..

I do find it odd that this many people have chimed in over how 'ridiculous' it is to charge someone $10 per machine...it is most likely the easiest way for magnus to track all of his customers' machines (as he does ALL of the support, if i understand correctly)..

i dunno...

its $10, get over it....

18. weckart macrumors 601

If only it were $10. It's $10 when you reinstall it because something buggered up your existing install. It's another $10 when you upgrade your hard drive. Another $10 when you install Snow Leopard and prefer to do a clean install etc. That $10 soon mounts up, particularly if you have more than one machine.

19. dudup thread starter macrumors regular

dudup

I would pay $20, $30, even $50 to have the ability to have it installed one computer at time. I wouldn't have any problem with activations or other necessary crap to get it running and prove that I'm a legit user.

See, I don't run any pirated software on my Macs. Any. I love how Panic Coda and Transmit, or AppZapper simply don't ask for anything once I sync my Mobile Me settings on a new machine. Coda is a $ 80 app which is pirated like hell, but Panic knows that legit users shouldn't be punished.

I'm using probably my 8th Apple computer in 4 years, and never I've had to be worried with the thought of buying a new license of a software that I already own because I'm going to switch to a new Mac.

Call me cheap, call me stupid, I don't care. I won't use it anymore. This topic is just a warning for people whom may trust the developer and buying this app without reading the fine print.

Seems to me there are a few people who are surprised by this licensing model as I did, so I think this is useful advice.

I really don't want to discuss it anymore. I don't want a refund, I don't want it to change its licensing model, I don't care. It's just a rant, if you excuse me. :)

(pardon my english, as it's not my primary idiom. )

20. AIRniloc macrumors regular

AIRniloc

well most of that is untrue..

i just upgraded to SL and didn't have to pay another $10 at all...just un-installed, re-installed and put my license code back in..

also, about 9 months ago i upgraded to an SSD on my rev a MBAir and didn't have to pay another $10 (time machine backup)..

as far as screwing up an install, well...never had that problem

21. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I agree it's a poor license and I wouldn't support software like that. Having a license for one running copy of the software at a time is reasonable. When you change hardware just remove it from the old computer and move it to the new one.

22. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Not that it really matters regarding this thread, but Apple allows you to re-download your purchases once per year and they'll also reset your 5 computer activations multiple times per year as part of official policy.

Both options require a manual request using Apple's iTunes customer support page.

23. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

wow, I was thinking about buying coolbook but after reading this, I will pass. I will also not support any companies or developers that make the program license so restrictive.

24. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

I agree fully, hopefully the developer of the program finds his way to this thread and ends this stupid practice. It will only lead to people pirating the product on new machines in frustration - I would not buy something again that I already own just to use it on one machine at a time.