Extremely happy with my uMBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by farhat2tube, Jun 21, 2012.

1. farhat2tube macrumors newbie

Just today i received my package from tech-com shanghai via DHL. people say that the 15 is too heavy, But its as light as my '10 dell xps. Ill be using this for architectural renderings and ill be bringing this everywhere.

I got the AG antiglare and its extremely good, its sharp and has good size realestate. A have seen the retina in real life, although its much smoother, i see no reason for me to get the retina anyways, this screen is gorgeos!

As for renderings, i have yet to open larger projects but as for now, with the 2.6ghz and 8gb ram, its running ever so smooth.

I would like to thank everyone who helped me with my decision. Im greatful that i could own such a beautiful and powerful machine.

2. rays09 macrumors member

finnaly haha.. what about it's screen brightness, i read some issue ? maybe in two weeks ahead iam goin to malay.. how much rupiah currency in yours do you have a reference?

3. leenak macrumors 68020

4. bamaster macrumors member

The famous Un-Retina Edition.

5. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

I was going to say "Uni-body Late 2011 Mac Book Pro"

6. deblewis macrumors member

I've been going back and forth since the refresh on what should be my first Mac purchase.. I really think I'm leaning towards the unR as well..

I like the CD drive and Ethernet for one thing.. what's the point in smaller if you have to drudge around all these accessories anyway.. also I get the feeling Retina really isn't ready for prime time just yet.. and for the weight.. well I'm going to be using this mostly as a desktop replacement.. I won't be carrying it around, it might make it into the living room every so often.. but that's it.. also with my price point I just wouldn't get enough disk space for my comfort...

anyway.. gratz! hope to join you soon.. :)

7. doh123 macrumors 65816

8. J.L.Photography macrumors 6502

i wouldve guessed Ultimate MBP judging by the specs!

9. farhat2tube thread starter macrumors newbie

No issues with the screen, it is absolutely beautiful and actually quite vivid, also contrast is high, compared to what other reviewers say. Im never going back to glossy! Its easy on the eyes and the hi res AG is a very recommended upgrade to anyone really!

Im a student so ill be using alot of architectural programms and rendering, i was doing a benchmark test, i believe it was called NORA benchmark, it received a score of 1999..and it is competing against a 2.8ghz 16GB windows PC.. Amazing.

The retina to me is a gadget, not really a work station yet. Its a new product with a new technology that none of the mbp competitors have, thus it may be a problem if 90% of the worlds population uses normal non-retinas. Plus theres no point since this umbp screen is crisp already. Unless you really desperately NEED something different than anyone else or doing extream macro shots, then retina is for you.

Plus, its easier to repair incase anything happens. Also easier and cheaply upgradable.

Highly recommend the uMBP 15. Anything just ask!

2.6Ghz Turbo boost quad core i7
    8GB (upgradable to 16) RAM
    1GB discreet Nvidia
    750GB HDD
    15" AG hi-res screen

10. Ben8472 macrumors member

can you bring the CPU load to 100% for 5-10 minutes please and tell us how the fan speed / loudness is? :) thanks alot!!

11. powerslave65 macrumors regular

Good purchase. Congrats. I am working a 7 day video gig this week so looking forward to putting it through the ringer.

12. farhat2tube thread starter macrumors newbie

Under normal conditions its as quiet as it is off. But the uMBP did not get the same asymmetrical treatment like the retina, although i did not get the computer to run at 100%, during a heavy usage test, there was a slight hum but bearable.

Also, in terms of heat, i only notice heat from under the computer when theres limited air circulation below it, typical of any notebook PCs, but its currently on an Ikea laptop stand and its not heating up like my Dell XPS.

Also, great if you want to know, with Wifi on, downloading stuff and running more than 4 applications, the battery is currently at 93% and has a remaining time of 6 hours and 55 minutes.

13. Ben8472 macrumors member

ok, the 2011 mbp was like an airplane going off as soon as it had to do any heavy lifting. if its only a slight hum than its all fine :)

14. Aodhan, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

Aodhan macrumors regular

I have actually decided to get this laptop over the retina or the never-to-come iMac. I'm going to get the 2.6 with the 1gb graphics, and just use a mini display adapter with my 23-inch monitor.

The deciding factors for me were first, I'm not crazy about the retina display. It is unnecessary for my needs, it isn't playing nice with things currently out there, and it puts unnecessary strain on the graphics card, which I plan to use with some moderate gaming. Second, and perhaps most importantly, the retina is locked up tight and completely unserviceable to the end user. The iMacs are just as closed as the retinas, I should add.

The uMBP on the other hand is wide open. It has the same processor and graphics chip, but has to drive a far more modest display. It feels strange not to go with the new hotness, but the uMBP is just a more practical machine, I think, for the average user. And maybe that's why it's still available. Wow, Apple is smart! Still, I love the new rMBP design, it's a pity to have to pass on it.

15. Blue604 macrumors regular

If you are coming from '10 Dell XPS, of course the uMBP's screen looks great..

but look at the screen difference between iPhone 3g and iPhone 4. One you start using iPhone 4, the screen on iPhone 3g looks like crap.

Yes, RMBP are more expensive.

16. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I picked up my 15" MBP yesterday. Went with the 2.6GHz model so I would have the 1GB GPU and I am very happy with my purchase. It was a better choice over the Retina for me. Going to swap out the Optical Drive with the HDD that came with it for storage and using a Crucial M4 as the Primary.

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

RMBPs are only more expensive than MBPs with hard drives, but they are less expensive than MBPs with SSDs.

A low end MBP with 8GB RAM and 256GB SDD costs $300 more than the stock low end RMBP.

A 2.6 i7 MBP with 512GB SDD is $300 more than the 2.6 i7 RMBP.

18. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

I am going to get the non Retina MBP as well. I do use my DVD drive. Plus I don't want to have to pack another accessorie around if i don't need to.
    Another consideration is the USB drive the Apple sells for the new retina MBP will only work on the rMBP. It has firmware in it that prevents it from being used on any other Apple laptop or desktop. I know there are 3rd party USB DVD drives but has anyone tried that an the new rMBP?

19. bamaster macrumors member

Huh? The SuperDrive? It works with Retina, Mac Air and Mini. All the Mac computers without a built-in drive.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD564ZM/A

20. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

21. magbarn macrumors 68000

Some of us are more than willing to open up our cMBP's and put in $200 256gb SSD/$400 512gb SSD instead of paying Apple's inflated prices. Also having the option of having up to another 1TB of regular HDD storage in the optical bay still can't be matched by the rMBP. Also, in the future a 1TB SSD will likely go for below $400 along with subsequent increases in HDD size also, whilst the rMBP is stuck with what you bought it with. 32gb of RAM is also a possibility for the cMBP. Yes, OWC will likely sell rMBP SSD upgrades, but their prices worse than Apple's!

22. VFC macrumors 6502a

That's a very valid point. The 2013 refresh will most likely include a more powerful video card that will get ~60fps at retina resolution on the more demanding video games.

That is typical Apple marketing strategy; release a new feature with enough functionality to classify it as usable, then release a refresh the following year that makes the new feature enjoyable (i.e. fully functional).

23. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

The graphics card isn't like their software, there are physical limitations (heat, space, battery consumption) so I don't think your theory applies in this case.

They're not going to put something a GTX card in there, they run really hot and has a much higher power consumption. The 650M is NVIDIA's top GT 600M series graphics chip, I expect they'll continue to put a similar chip (750M or something like that) in next year's refresh.

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

That's fine, but wasn't my point. My point its a misnomer to say there is a premium on the RMBP, i.e., it's more expensive than a similarly equipped non-Retina MBP. Even with DIY it's basically a wash: -- $1799 base + 3rd party 8GB (2x4GB) $45 + Samsung 830 256GB SSD $270 = $2140. Low end RMBP is $2199.

(I'm using the Samsung 830 b/c that is what Apple uses, and it's one of the best overall on the market right now. Arguably you could use the Crucial M4 but you are still in the $2100 range).

25. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

What are you modeling/rendering in? I'm a designer doing a lot of light Maya work and am considering a MBP hooked up to an external display (along with several other options).