Extremely hot (non Apple) Magsafe? Should I worry?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Astroboy907, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

About 6 months ago, my regular Apple "T" charger started shorting out and dying, so I decided to replace it. Of course, seeing as how apples chargers wore out quickly on me, I decided to go the cheap route and get a $30 "L" charger from eBay.
    Lately I've noticed that when charging the computer, the L end of it gets extremely hot. Like hot enough to burn if touched. The area around my magsafe also gets quite hot, but around 20-30 degrees less than the charger I would guess. But it is pretty cold when the laptop is fully charged...

So after seeing so many reports about people with non apple chargers, should I be worried about this? My magsafe is a bit dirty too, should I try cleaning it out?

2. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I know Apple MagSafe get really hot around the brick and its normal.

3. scbond macrumors 6502

If I were you I wouldn't use one of those cheap adapters off of eBay or anywhere else.

4. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

The brick usually is fine. Its the "L" end of the charger I'm worried about...

----------

Advice noted!

5. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

My L part get hot too but usually it's because I'm playing a game while charging and because my old Mac is kinda slow doing everything.

6. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

As one who often went "the cheaper route", recent tear down pics of a $2 versus $10 charger have convinced me to save money on toilet paper, not chargers.

7. sarthak macrumors 6502

The unsealed magnet in the Magsafe L-plug over the wires conducting electricity is turning into an electromagnet and can damage your computer. Sell this old adapter on eBay "AS-IS" and any other old damaged adapters you have. Some buy them just for parts/repair.

Get a genuine Apple adapter.

Note: Theory only.

8. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

This is with an genuine Apple charger... I am not OP...

9. sarthak macrumors 6502

"cheap charger from eBay..." could be a counterfeit Chinese knock-off, there are many that even have fake serial numbers on them similar to fake iPhone chargers.

10. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I think we're confused, were you referring to the thread starter or me? I don't have a problem with my charger since I bought it at the Apple Store ( came with my Mac) but the thread starter bought his off eBay.

11. Astroboy907, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

... I am the OP, not him ;) And it is a cheap chinese knockoff. It has no serial or logo anywhere... But for $50 cheaper, its held its own. I am usually pretty against knockoffs but this one seemed to work great for the 6 months I've had it.

----------

Toilet paper is near the top of my list on things never to skimp out on... :D

12. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

No. You don't need a magnet to make an electromagnet. All wires create a magnetic field when current is flowing. In any event, a magnet in that location is too far away from the hard drive to bother it (there are magnets for lid closure that are much closer).

But, I do agree: buy genuine Apple adapters.

13. hummel003 macrumors newbie

idd nothing as horrible to wipe ur ass with sandpaper
    puppysoft paper for my bottom only

14. sarthak macrumors 6502

Like I said it's a theory and it's more likely if the wires are not/poorly insulated inside the L-plug they could be burning hence the excess heat. Which would make sense since they heat up when it's charging (increased wattage draw).