Extremely Positive Best Buy Experience on Launch Day

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Built, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Built macrumors 68020

I had several hundred dollars in Best Buy gift cards and Reward Zone Certificates lying around so I was virtually committed to purchasing my iPad 3 from Best Buy.

I left my house at 0830 and drove to the Best Buy at Sepulveda and Rosecrans (Manhattan Beach) and saw a healthy line already in place there. I walked up, and a member of very organized staff (a VERY pretty girl) came up to me to ask me which iPad I was interested in. I told her that I wanted the 64GB ATT in Black. She asked me to wait a second while she checked. She returned in a minute to tell me that that was the only model that this store did not receive. She was very sweet and apologetic. All in all, I was back in my Jeep in 5 minutes.

I drove ten minutes to the Best Buy in Inglewood where an even more sizeable line was in place. The very organized staff (again) began handing out tickets very quickly, and within ten minutes of my joining the line, I had a ticket for a 64GB ATT in Black. Based on the number of tickets I saw, this Best Buy had a HUGE inventory of iPads.

The staff was extremely organized and each person in line was given individualized treatment.

Those of us who had tickets for ATT and Verizon iPads were directed to Best Buy Mobile where our purchase was handled quickly and efficiently.

I was in and out of the store...with iPad in hand...by 1015.

A very positive experience with Best Buy.

2. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I must concur, however I wish I would've known the supply was going to meet demand so efficiently this cycle, as I could've gotten some more Zs this morning. I drove up to my local Best Buy at 6:00 a.m. anticipating a long line but when I arrived there was no one there; I was the first. So I waited in my car for a while until about 7:45 when I finally saw a couple girls start lining up. So I chit chatted with them for about 30 minutes when the very polite and organized staff handed out tickets to us and about four other people who were in the line as well. So I went off, got some breakfast, came back a little after 10 and like you I was out the door, with iPad in hand, by 10:15. One of the best launch day experiences I have ever had with any product.

3. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

I know....Ain''t THAT the truth? I could have slept in a little longer...When I realized that it was already 0815 when I woke up, all I could think was that the lines would be a mile long, and they would sell out quickly. I really didn't hold out much hope for getting one today at that point...especially in light of what happened last year.

Enjoy your 3, Mykull!

4. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I had a fairly good experience this morning at BBY. However they tried to upsell everyone in the small line of about 10 folks everything under the sun

5. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

Just say no. ;)

6. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

They do try to sell "extras" but...

1. They were pretty respectful and not pushy about it...
    2. I have no problem saying No.

The way I figure it is that the store is there to make money, and like the airlines, they make tons of money off of "ancillary revenues."

7. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Yeah, there seems to be decent inventory across the board (except at Verizon stores). I walked into the Apple Store at 1140 and there were 5 people in line and was out within 15 minutes. The best buy down the street was out of some models but still had several at 1230. No lines at all.

Looks like the pre-sales soaked up most of the demand.

Cheers,

8. nUFamn macrumors newbie

Agreed, Best Buy did well today. I went on my lunch break, discussed options with the guys for a moment (I knew what I wanted, but it's always good to discuss), got my ticket, and it took about 30 minutes for me to get the 32GB + Verizon.

9. ICYBLUE1203 macrumors newbie

To clarify, I think you meant El Segundo and Hawthorne. No Best Buy stores exist in Manhattan Beach or Inglewood.

10. ctc799 macrumors member

My local Best Buy worked great too. Tickets were handed out at 8AM, and we were allowed to leave and come back before 2PM to get them. Though all of the people in front of me decided to leave, I just couldn't. :p

11. stdwest macrumors member

I went into best buy today at 2 pm in upstate NY, there was no line, they had all the models. The people were very helpful, I talked to the salespeople for about half an hour and got answers to all my questions, got my ipad, they even installed the screen protection for me. It was just so smooth!

12. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I usually have good experiences at Best Buy. Of course, I always know exactly what I am looking for and don't rely on them to influence me, but the people at my store are reasonably sharp and always pleasant.

13. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Thanks Built, you do the same.

----------

Yea, it was extremely hard for me to leave after they handed the tickets out but I didn't want to stand out there alone after everyone left. It would make me feel too much like a geek LOL; no offense to you of course.

14. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

At 2PM BB here was devoid of iPad buyers and had plenty of iPads of every type.

15. richlee111 macrumors regular

+1

Had preordered from Apple, but decided to go to BestBuy anyways to see if I can get some points for Rewards. They were on top of their game this time:)

16. urkel macrumors 68030

I had to wait in line twice but I got what I want with no other hassles and was home by 11. (wife came by only to pick up ticket but they said I'd have to do one transaction and then go back in line again for the other). Its an inconvenience, but with an 18mo payment plan and a bunch of reward zone bucks then its worth it.

17. jeffg819 macrumors regular

It's good to see folks post about a good experience! There are way more in life than one would imagine from surfing the web.

18. ctc799 macrumors member

If I was alone then yeah, I probably would've left too. :p

The guys handing out tickets though did everything but sing and dance to try and sell me an Apple TV.

19. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Yeah they convinced me to buy one. Not sure I like the user interface but getting at all the TV shows on my Mac is a nice feature.

Cheers,

20. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Got to my bb around 11. Lots of personnel on hand but no buyers. Had lots of stock. Same as radio shack. Got one at each.

21. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

I just got out of the Torrance, CA Best Buy (Hawthorne and PCH) with a 64GB ATT 4G Black iPad. This store had plenty in stock of all models all day and were just starting to run low (I got the 2nd to last 64GB ATT Black unit they had).

22. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm glad that others had similarly positive experiences today!

23. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I went after 4:30 PM and there was no line. It took a few minutes for someone to help me, but they checked their folders and told me what they had in stock. I got the 16 GB black wifi. They asked me if I wanted all that extra stuff and I just said no.

24. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

This sure is a different experience from last year. :)

The ability for customers to pre-order really took the pressure off of the stores on launch day.

25. xTRIGGER092x macrumors regular

I got in line at 5:00AM (in the rain, too) for nothing, lol. It was just me, my cousin, and one other guy until about 20 other people started showing up from 7:15 to the giving out of the tickets at 8:00. So, only about 25 people total (and considering this was in a city of around 300,000 people, I was surprised) in line, and with a shipment of 200 iPads in the store, everyone in line got a ticket. When I went to pick up my iPad at about 1:30PM, there were still plenty of iPads to freely give out. So, either there wasn't much demand, or Apple made a **** ton.