Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Are you experiencing this issue?

• Total voters

dstow

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2021
Just to confirm, was the iPhone SE 2022 completely dither free? Can't find any concrete confirmation, noticed a few users complaining of eye-strain despite the LCD Display?

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
I just used 14 pro for one afternoon. By far the worst of the 4….. So to me from worst to best:

14 Pro -> 14 plus -> 14 - 14PM

Go get a 14 pro max and try your luck. See you next year.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I’m curious what settings you’ve used?

I have a Studio Display for work and it is flicker free, though not perfect either (it’s useable, though particularly long sessions can lead to some eye strain - which I understand is normal, but I’ve had older displays that I could stare at all day with no issue). I’d like to play around with that app though.

I’m not sure if the Studio Display also has some type of temporal dithering effect as it processes the image (can’t find anything this specific online, just that it’s backlight flicker free).
Per a user suggestion on here, I’ve created a 16:10 “Dummy Display” in BetterDisplay then use Display Mirroring in the Mac Display settings to use the ‘virtual’ display as my main display.

I’ve confirmed with the developer that a Dummy Display is the only way to switch the color to 8-bit on Apple silicon, which should disable temporal dithering in theory. Keep in mind that will give you less colors to work with and may make for a slightly less color-accurate display if your work is graphic-dependent.

It’s also possible to reduce the effect of PWM by raising the brightness and using the software brightness control to dim the display instead. However, I find this doesn’t work as well for me so I leave the brightness at around 34% in my work environment. This requires disabling the hardware brightness control in the BetterDisplay settings, but I find that switching the color to 8-bit has the more significant effect.

While this has helped make the display more usable, I’m still hopeful that Apple somehow managed to make the display better on the M2 Pro.

Last edited:

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
With all the new rumors of MicroLED coming to the Apple Watch in the next couple years... Has there been any talk of that and how it might be a positive? It's surprisingly hard to look up online whether MicroLED uses PWM or if it has a pentile subpixel arrangement.

The only thing that changes is that the LEDs aren't organic anymore. The backplane is the same, the driver technology is the same. This should solve "burn in" for the most part but I have no hope that microLED on its own will be any form of improvement for us here.

I hope however that by then at the very least we'll be at very high frequencies (100 kHz+) for OLED/microLED but I'm not super hopeful.

Reactions: du57in and jimmy_uk

john g.

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
A bit of PWM humor for this Wednesday afternoon

Attachments

• PWM humor.jpg
    PWM humor.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 114

du57in

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
After using an iPhone SE 2020 since launch for my personal phone, this Friday my work finally made me get a work phone. I went with a 14 Pro and I gotta admit I am more than a little nervous.

My gut keeps telling me I should have gone with an SE 2022 and then I could dual SIM and just use one phone that I know I won’t have any issues with.

Reactions: 5105973

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
After using an iPhone SE 2020 since launch for my personal phone, this Friday my work finally made me get a work phone. I went with a 14 Pro and I gotta admit I am more than a little nervous.

My gut keeps telling me I should have gone with an SE 2022 and then I could dual SIM and just use one phone that I know I won’t have any issues with.
I think the regular iPhone 14 is much better, PWM-wise, than the Pro iPhone.

dstow

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2021
As an update, I returned the 14Pro reluctantly, but the frequent neck pain which I was convinced was a direct result of PWM found it's way back at the Apple Store to be replaced by the god forsaken SE2022 which I can confidently say I hate. The screen alone despite being PWM free is incredibly outdated, the pixel smearing and 60Hz refresh rate make it unpleasant to use. The near instant pixel response of 14Pro's OLED coupled with the 120Hz refresh rate is night and day compared to this antiquated LCD display

After trying to re-adjust after a few days I am STILL getting the neck pain, despite the LCD display, which open's up pandora's box

1.) Is it the lingering effects of using the 14Pro/Max for the last month?
2.) Is it Temporal Dithering on the SE2022?
3.) Was it the 14 Pro phones in the first place or just a coincidence?

I'm currently stuck in 2014, and I hate it - Will give this a few more days, and if it's not improved, looks like I'll be back on the 14 Pro which despite the other experiences in this thread was the most combatable to use with the 14 Plus being the worst with physical eye-pain/headaches - The 14Pro/Max caused no direct pain to my eyes just this neck strain I've had

Despite previously owing the SE2020 and the SE2022 trying to delude myself of the shortcomings being minimal it's just night and day in comparison to the 14Pro series as you would expect the immediate downgrade in battery life is extremely noticeable along with the diminutive display- the 60Hz LCD on the SE is horrid compared to the OLED, it seems unresponsive and laggy compared to the buttery smooth instant response of the 120Hz OLED Panel, PWM Aside - it's a universe apart - The severely reduced weight could be seen as a positive compared to the hefty Pro, but I find it makes it feel far less substantial, and cheap by comparison which is ironic given the price-tag

To sum it up succinctly, it feels like a 2014 AliExpress clone of an iPhone best suited to your luddite grandfather who takes the occasional out of focus snap of his beloved dying dog to share with his estranged grandkids

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
My guess is yes.
Eye strain and other weird nervous system issues can take months and months to reconcile once stuff gets stirred up.
I experienced this first hand with crappy CRT monitors of yesteryear — it took forever to get over the pain they caused me.
I’ve pretty much decided not to use displays that cause PWM sensitivity again, but I still have my M1 Pro for lack of a better alternative.

I felt similarly about iPhone SE as @dstow when I first switched over, then I’ve adjusted over time to appreciating it. This feels like the iPhone Apple would make if they kept the original design, and modernized it.

Reactions: 5105973 and GlenK

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Can I talk about my new 11” M2 iPad Pro here?

I know it’s just an LCD screen and it has no PWM, I’ve been a user of a 2018 iPP for several years and my eyes were happy with that device.

However, I’ve been using an 11” M2 iPP, and every time I use it, I feel a bit of eye strain, I feel my eyes dry, and even had a migraine the first day. Now my eyes are itchy after a while of using it.

I wanted to share some additional info: there are, at least, two screen suppliers, with different colors and viewing angles. And I’ve tested this, because I first purchased a 128GB model and more recently got the 256 one. Their screens were different. The 128GB one, I was able to use it during all the holidays without problems.

Recently, I decided to get the 256 because I wanted more capacity, and I saw that the screens were different. But I returned the 128GB one, and when I started to use the 256GB one, the problems started to materialize.

Now, I wish I had kept the 128GB one, because it had a better screen (more natural colors, no eye strain whatsoever), but given that at Apple they don’t like exchanges, I will give this unit a few more tries, resting my eyes before, and if it doesn’t work I’ll return it.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Can I talk about my new 11” M2 iPad Pro here?

I know it’s just an LCD screen and it has no PWM, I’ve been a user of a 2018 iPP for several years and my eyes were happy with that device.

However, I’ve been using an 11” M2 iPP, and every time I use it, I feel a bit of eye strain, I feel my eyes dry, and even had a migraine the first day. Now my eyes are itchy after a while of using it.

I wanted to share some additional info: there are, at least, two screen suppliers, with different colors and viewing angles. And I’ve tested this, because I first purchased a 128GB model and more recently got the 256 one. Their screens were different. The 128GB one, I was able to use it during all the holidays without problems.

Recently, I decided to get the 256 because I wanted more capacity, and I saw that the screens were different. But I returned the 128GB one, and when I started to use the 256GB one, the problems started to materialize.

Now, I wish I had kept the 128GB one, because it had a better screen (more natural colors, no eye strain whatsoever), but given that at Apple they don’t like exchanges, I will give this unit a few more tries, resting my eyes before, and if it doesn’t work I’ll return it.
Hmm, I have similar experiences. Tried M1/11” 128gb version on store and very comfortable, but on my 256gb, I found it’s quite hard to stay for hours. Also it seems, it became worse in iPadOS 16, compared to 15.

• Wow
Reactions: 5105973 and Populus

dstow

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2021
I’ve pretty much decided not to use displays that cause PWM sensitivity again, but I still have my M1 Pro for lack of a better alternative.

I felt similarly about iPhone SE as @dstow when I first switched over, then I’ve adjusted over time to appreciating it. This feels like the iPhone Apple would make if they kept the original design, and modernized it.
Have you had any re-occurring/lingering effects since switching back to the SE2022? I still can't find any concrete evidence in regard to it possibly using temporal dithering which as we know can cause PWM symptoms despite it being an LCD display - have you found any?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
very sad that apple is sleeping here .. the new samsung s23 models are supposed to come on the market with 2000hz and integrated dc dimming .. when will apple be sensible and follow suit.?? the new huawei oled no longer has a measurable pwm.. please take an example. everyone else does it better. Pixel 7 Pro is also much less eye strain..
I don't know about the Pixel 7 Pro. I recently tried it at the store and couldn't focus on text at all.

I've been reading the posts asking what phones are good and sadly there is no one answer suited to us all.

I'm doing okay switching between the 14 Pro Max and the S22 Ultra. I can mitigate my symptoms pretty well. But my past experiences taught me switching between displays was asking for disaster.

So for even one person, this is a volatile situation and I just have to constantly evaluate my options. 13 Pro was one of the most damaging phones I ever used, in that it caused me to be unable to use phones I previously could.

14 Pro Max makes it impossible for me to use my Pixel 6 Pro, but I found out I can use my iphone 12 mini for short durations again! I'm excited about that. I use small phones in the summer. I'll be so happy if I can use my adorable purple 12 mini again.

Unfortunately I'll have to deal with e Sim when I want to switch between my iphones. I hope that won't be too difficult.

I've seen the different iphone 15 rumors. So far I don't hear much that makes me want to get one, actually quite the opposite. I did buy the 1 TB 14 Pro Max and I love everything about it except pwm issues. But I can tolerate this display for short usage. So I think I'm going to hang onto this phone as long as I can.

I'm planning on trading my s22 Ultra for the s23 Ultra. That plus my 14 Pro Max will give me everything I could possibly want in phones for awhile. With the s22/23 Ultras I will have super zoom lens photography and so I won't need to get a new iphone for that.

I use my Amazon devices for most of my entertainment consumption like books and movies. The Kindle reader has been a blessing for me so far. The Fire tablet has been fine for movies and tv shows. I'm surprised how much I love both of these very affordable devices.

I have an ipad mini 6 but I'm not using it that much. I really have slashed my screen time pretty well considering the weather where I live has been awful and we are all stuck indoors a lot.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Hello folks, I want to share my story.
My wife had iPhones upt to 6s and switched to Samsung after that.
I for myself, had Blackberrys, but switched to Apple with the upcoming 5s and had the following iPhones after it:
6, SE, 7, XR, 12mini (returned due headache right away and learned about PWM), SE2, iPhone 11 (couldnt stand it either), iPhone 13 Pro (returned cause of PWM), SE2, iPhone 14 Pro (PWM), SE2 (thankfully didnt sell it), 13 Pro, 14 Pro, SE2.

If I told someone outside of this forum this journey - they would question my sainity.

My wifes journey: 6s, S9, S10e, 14 Pro

no PWM-Problems at all.

So, this doesnt help you at all. I'm the kind of guy, who instantly can tell if its a PWM-controlled lightbulp lighting a room.

A few days ago, accidentally dropped my SE2 and smashed the screen. I needed a new phone. I needed a new iPhone couse of all the whatsapps and stuff.
Drove to the next T-Mobile to buy a 14 Plus. This time, I hold on it - even when my eyes bleed. 256gb, blue.
The LEDs above the counter where flickering, even the default photo-app flickered.
Thankfully, no blue in store. When I drop so much money and make my eyes bleed, I want a blue one, nothing else.

Ok, I have to order it online, but its already friday and it wont make it till tuesday anyway, so I can order it saturday or sunday, no need to hurry.

The S9 and S10e laying in the drawer. Picked up the S9 since the S10e is the backup phone of my wife.

I knew my eyes would be bloodshot since its 120hz AMOLED. Worse than all the PWM-iPhones i had by far.

After a few seconds I felt - nothing. Even after half an hour setting it up - nothing. I couldnt believe it.
To test it to the max I watched an entire movie in the dark - nothing.

I dont know what to do next really. After a week its still the same. I dont know if I should buy the 14 Plus or not,
but I think I will either stay on the S9 since its surprisingly good beside the battery (main factor for 14 Plus) or a bigger S-Series Samsung.

Thank you for reading this wall of text and please excuse my english, its a foreign language for me I learned 20 years ago.
I loved my S9+. I don't think it's pwm alone thats hurting our eyes. I can't use my iphone SE2/3 or my iphone 11 without developing a disturbing flicker at the edge of the vision of my left eye. I also feel eye strain.

I have used plenty of flickery OLED screens and not had any problems. There's something else going on. Apple is the primary offender and I don't know what they're doing but I wish they would make it stop. I'm typing this on my s22 Ultra. Pain free.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Have you had any re-occurring/lingering effects since switching back to the SE2022? I still can't find any concrete evidence in regard to it possibly using temporal dithering which as we know can cause PWM symptoms despite it being an LCD display - have you found any?
I have no sensitivity to the display on iPhone SE whatsoever. I’m not sure that it uses any form of dithering.

I’m hopeful that by some miracle the M2 Pro MacBook Pro display doesn’t use PWM above a certain brightness percentage—that would be the quickest I’ve ever upgraded a Mac. Although I do find it odd that disabling temporal dithering noticeably helps me as well.

Last edited:

badger1212

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
My guess is yes.
Eye strain and other weird nervous system issues can take months and months to reconcile once stuff gets stirred up.
I experienced this first hand with crappy CRT monitors of yesteryear — it took forever to get over the pain they caused me.
I would say yes too. I know for me once I've experienced eye strain from a culprit phone, using a phone I know I'm OK with has also given me eye pain for a while.

I've been using a Pixel 6 Pro that I really liked as a phone. After a few days use I decided I would be prepared to move from iOS which was a pain but I was prepared to do as the camera is so much better as is the screen. However I've been sick the past few days and using my phone more than normal and once again started developing these really bad eye pains / headaches and tence neck once again. It takes a while to calm back down too. So I'm back once again to my tried and tested iPhone 11. It's so frustrating.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I would say yes too. I know for me once I've experienced eye strain from a culprit phone, using a phone I know I'm OK with has also given me eye pain for a while.

I've been using a Pixel 6 Pro that I really liked as a phone. After a few days use I decided I would be prepared to move from iOS which was a pain but I was prepared to do as the camera is so much better as is the screen. However I've been sick the past few days and using my phone more than normal and once again started developing these really bad eye pains / headaches and tence neck once again. It takes a while to calm back down too. So I'm back once again to my tried and tested iPhone 11. It's so frustrating.
I have the Pixel 6 Pro. That has pretty straight forward crappy pwm and always made my eyes a little uncomfortable. I could use it but using the iPhone 14 Pro max sensitized me against it so I got terrible vertigo and nausea last time I tried to use it.

I can definitely see a difference between that display and the one on my S22 Ultra even though superficially they look similar.

badger1212

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
I have the Pixel 6 Pro. That has pretty straight forward crappy pwm and always made my eyes a little uncomfortable. I could use it but using the iPhone 14 Pro max sensitized me against it so I got terrible vertigo and nausea last time I tried to use it.

I can definitely see a difference between that display and the one on my S22 Ultra even though superficially they look similar.
Is the s22 Ultra more comfortable?

dstow

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2021
Still getting the same neck pain/discomfort with the iPhone SE2022 14Pro days later - mental - Same pain but now with a phone from 2014

Trying hard to re-adjust to the display, but it's the seeping battery life that's one of the most noticeable, just using the phone lightly causes it to drop rapidly, so much as looking it drains the battery a few percent

When I had the SE2022 originally last year, I experienced no discomfort, so as other have pointed out it seems Apple could have possibly changed the way colours are rendered in later versions of iOS, as I can't explain why it's bothering me

Reactions: volodymyrqa

badger1212

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Weird. I do think it's not wholly PWM that is bothering us (well at least me anyway). What made you choose the SE 2022 over the 11? The faster processor? The 11's battery life is great.

Reactions: jimmy_uk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.