Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Are you experiencing this issue?

• Total voters

rjruiz2

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
Did you get used to it ?
Not quite yet. I feel like I'm squinting especially when trying to read e-mails etc. I mean it is nice and clear just really small. But after watching about 5 minutes or so of video is when my head starts to hurt.

vannix

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
This thing is bright, first phone I've ever had to darken the display. Usually turn them all the way up.

I literally agree, I rarely go above the sun icon... now I’m starting to think that maybe True Tone could be the culprit? I know that it should alleviate eye strain but..

john g.

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
I literally agree, I rarely go above the sun icon... now I’m starting to think that maybe True Tone could be the culprit? I know that it should alleviate eye strain but..

I'm feeling that it is something else, at least for me, as I have had true tone enabled on my 8 ever since the launch in September and had no issues.

Perhaps true tone on the OLED is different enough though?

Just grasping at straws :)

vannix

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
I'm feeling that it is something else, at least for me, as I have had true tone enabled on my 8 ever since the launch in September and had no issues.

Perhaps true tone on the OLED is different enough though?

Just grasping at straws :)

I don’t really know, for now I’ve tried decreasing the white point by 60% (accessibility) and it is much much nicer and similar to the previous screens.

Fpb1980

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2014
philadelphia
I don’t really know, for now I’ve tried decreasing the white point by 60% (accessibility) and it is much much nicer and similar to the previous screens.
Is it still helping? Did you make 40 percent or something else? I want to match it to see the difference.

Thx

vannix

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
I'm experiencing the same issues.

@Fpb1980
A little bit better.. but as I look the screen my eyes get blurred.

This is definitely a problem, it would be good if this gets through the forum to the news in first page, so maybe Apple will say something

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I deactivated everything now, looking with another camera to the Face ID module I still see some intermittent beaming, but I think it is the proximity sensor (near the flood illuminator)

Has this helped?

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Higher contrast always tire the eyes more. Higher contrast makes you notice differences and details faster, but looking at higher contrast for a prolonged period will ruin your eyes. (like reading on a very bright screen in a very dark room). OLED screens are way better for pictures & videos, they're worse for reading.

Reactions: Ashka

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Crap, that sucks. Maybe you should try swapping it out to see if maybe it’s just your model, and if it persists with the new one you’ll still be in your return window to take it back.

Been using OLEDs for a couple years now, I did experience something similar with older Samsung’s (Note 2/3), but that was because of the gaudy colors, once they introduced photo mode in the display settings I never had a problem since.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
You can’t see it but basically the screen is flashing really fast as a way to control the brightness, which causes headaches for some people. Apparently PWM is common for many displays, especially OLEDs.

I’m going to give it a few days to see if my eyes adjust.
This happen to me couple of nights ago when using my phone to surf. I would start to see the screen flash with its brightness. Actually it was this forum cause of the white backgroud color.

dtdt123

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2015
Maybe using smart invert could help you guys?
You’d likely save some battery power too.

deivydas

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2014
Vilnius, Lithuania
Lads, it's not about Apple and iPhone X displays. It's about Oled and how it works like. Previously i had at least 5 phones with Amoled (latest was Galaxy S8 and Google Pixel XL 2016) and everytime i was getting eye-strain, insomania and headache. I love color gamma of oled and those deep blacks, but to me it was disaster experience. I was trying many times, because i thought that this technology going forward as it should, but at the end of the day i was starting to feel exactly the same health issues. And sure that everyone is different, someone is feeling it, someone - don't.

thekayman

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
Reminds me of LCD vs Plasma and some getting headaches from plasma refresh rates and flicker. Maybe you'll get over it, maybe you won't. I had similar symptoms when I switched from a 42" to a 65" plasma. Got used to it in a couple of weeks.
First night with my X, my vision seemed blurred, thought I was tired. No problems the second night.

Fpb1980

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2014
philadelphia
@Fpb1980
A little bit better.. but as I look the screen my eyes get blurred.

This is definitely a problem, it would be good if this gets through the forum to the news in first page, so maybe Apple will say something

One thing that may help is turning on reduce motion under accessibility in settings.This helped me when i got my iphone 6 plus.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I think this has less to do with the phone and more to do with your eyes. See a doctor
Other people are experiencing this so likely not a health issue.

After first day of use I had a full blown migraine which wiped out my Saturday. Since then I'm experiencing serious eye fatigue and I'm only using the x in the evening in a well lit room. I was hoping my eyes would adjust and I have zero issues with my 7+. Damn I really want this phone to work out for me as the technology is incredible.

Last edited:

vannix

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
Other people are experiencing this likely not a health issue.

This is not an health issue, is the X 100%
Could anyone bring this to the Apple attention? It would be Interesting to hear them. But the reason is already known, is the PWM OLED brightness driver, and it is really harmful for eyes. Maybe I’ll swap the X for the iPhone 8 Plus 256gb, hoping that in 2 years they will get rid of this awful compromise

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.