Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Are you experiencing this issue?

• Total voters

vannix

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
That's strange, I wonder if it's worse on certain units or something. Although, I went to the Apple store today and checked a demo unit, it had the exact same issue. Try scrolling around and focus on the text as it's scrolling by. Does it look relatively clear? Or are there afterimages of the text?

Mine is ghosting

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
Drop phone in case they won’t agree to replace it so you can simply break it ;)

About the migraine, that is definitely a bad sign. Did you get these when using other OLED phones? Or now is your 1st time? What about OLED screens then?

Absolutely caused by PWM backlights. I first experienced it on a buddy's monitor at a lan party back in 2013. Then again on several of the first gen 120hz monitors, Galaxy S6-8, LG something, Samsung u6200, most vizio tv's, and now the X has been confirmed 240hz.

I sent X and the watch back today. In the end, it's not a big deal for me. I really wanted the X because of the claim that it fits a plus screen in a vanilla body, which it absolutely does not...

8yjvBaI.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Weird. I’m prone to migraines and optical migraines that result in seizures but I read ebooks and this forum just fine on my Samsung S8+ OLED screen. I also have spent considerable time in VR headgear on my older Samsungs. However, the Samsung IR iris scanner causes lingering aches and pain in my eyes so I had to turn it off. It would be interesting if those of you with headaches could turn off facial scanning to rule that out as a culprit. It seems one person has so far. We need a bigger sample size. My husband has been complaining of headache since getting his iPhone X but thought he was just tired. Which he very well could be.

gold///

macrumors regular
May 12, 2015
Nevada
It would be interesting if those of you with headaches could turn off facial scanning to rule that out as a culprit. It seems one person has so far. We need a bigger sample size. My husband has been complaining of headache since getting his iPhone X but thought he was just tired. Which he very well could be.
Dunno about others, but the text ghosting is the main issue for me.

I honestly don't see how anyone can use the X without eye strain. Do you guys just not look at the text while it's scrolling? Unless I'm somehow super susceptible to it or something, I'm surprised more people aren't being affected by the scroll ghosting.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

I honestly don't see how anyone can use the X without eye strain. Do you guys just not look at the text while it's scrolling? Unless I'm somehow super susceptible to it or something, I'm surprised more people aren't being affected by the scroll ghosting.
I only read text that’s still. I don’t look at text as it scrolls, I look a bit off to the side. Reading text that’s in motion would make me dizzy and ill on any screen. Like reading that scrolling preamble on Star Wars movies makes me a bit nauseous sometimes.

Reactions: kosta97

gold///

macrumors regular
May 12, 2015
Nevada
I only read text that’s still. I don’t look at text as it scrolls, I look a bit off to the side. Reading text that’s in motion would make me dizzy and ill on any screen. Like reading that scrolling preamble on Star Wars movies makes me a bit nauseous sometimes.
Yeah, sounds like that's the best way to deal with this. I've actually been trying to retrain my eyes to not focus on the text as it scrolls, and it's surprisingly gotten better. For anyone who's also suffering with the ghosting, it may help you too. Just try to not focus on anything if it's moving.

Reactions: 5105973

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014

Those are the same people that don't see frame drops lol

allonym

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
One other thing I wish the X had was the zoomed view for the display like the 6 - 8 series.
Maybe they will address both issues and I will be lured to the X, but content for now.
I agree completely with this. Lack of 'Display Zoom' was the main reason I returned my X. The Dynamic Type thing is great for apps that support it, but lots don't and lots of content (including web pages) is too small for my ageing eyes without the zoom mode. I might buy again if this is fixed soon, but otherwise I'll just wait for next year's phones.

Reactions: Jodiuh

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Absolutely caused by PWM backlights. I first experienced it on a buddy's monitor at a lan party back in 2013. Then again on several of the first gen 120hz monitors, Galaxy S6-8, LG something, Samsung u6200, most vizio tv's, and now the X has been confirmed 240hz.

I sent X and the watch back today. In the end, it's not a big deal for me. I really wanted the X because of the claim that it fits a plus screen in a vanilla body, which it absolutely does not...

8yjvBaI.jpg

the most annoying thing i see here is the squeezed narrow text :(
i hope i could live with that once/if i get the X

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
but it's the top of the tech :(
besides i really want the tele OIS in the camera,
AND the 8+ bezels do look old.
Dont listen to these paid Samsung bots and try it out for yourself. You have a period where you can turn in your phone if you dont like it.
[doublepost=1510228299][/doublepost]

8yjvBaI.jpg
What is that blue at the top? That looks horrible.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
This is a very interesting thread and it has confirmed my decision to stay with the 8 and a LCD screen. I’ve never liked AMOLED screens but never knew the reason why I felt this way, now I know. I am very sensitive to flickering lights and can’t be under fluorescent lights or energy saving bulbs without becoming sick and dizzy. Neither can I use most computer screens, although I have found the iMac screen is fine. So I t looks as though my 8 will have to last me a long time as I can’t see Apple returning to LCD screens and I really cannot get on with Android OS. Just think of the money I will save!

techtechtech

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2017
UK
Hello all,

I thought I'd post here about an issue I've been having and see if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

When I'm using the phone, my eyes feel strained, like they're trying to focus on the phone. And I've noticed that when I look away from my phone and at something else my eyes feel a little blurry and I have to blink.

Not sure why this is happening. I've tweaked with all the various displays settings (TrueTone/Night Shift/ White balance), nothing seems to make a real difference. Not using a screen protector.

Anyone else?
Not specifically iPhone but I have experienced this with AMOLED phone screens, just a few minutes was enough for headache/dizziness, eyes are just fine so that wasn't the problem. I know other users who had the same phones at the time and didn't experience the problem.

oliverjwhitt

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2017
Australia
Hello all,

I thought I'd post here about an issue I've been having and see if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

When I'm using the phone, my eyes feel strained, like they're trying to focus on the phone. And I've noticed that when I look away from my phone and at something else my eyes feel a little blurry and I have to blink.

Not sure why this is happening. I've tweaked with all the various displays settings (TrueTone/Night Shift/ White balance), nothing seems to make a real difference. Not using a screen protector.

Anyone else?
Same here I thought I was crazy. But I have a feeling It could be because of the OLED cause when I look at my 8 plus everything is fine.

Reactions: flowave and Jodiuh

NocturnalJazz

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
I'm also getting headaches... Maybe migraines too. Started the day after getting the phone. Yes I get headaches every so often, but not usually. Last headache was mid-june.

Reactions: flowave

Ramzi OIseau

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2017
Hello all,

Anyone else?

I am experiencing the same issue,terrible headache after first day of use of the new iPhoneX. The same thing happened with an OLED TV which I returned. Changing the settings on the TV did not help (but perhaps I am not an expert in changing the settings). My wife had the same issue. Sad to have to return the phone, but that's what I need to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.