eyeglass wearers, what do you do in the sun?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Greedo, Aug 9, 2009.

?

eyeglass wearers, what do you do in daylight to protect your eyes?

1. clip-ons

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. magnetic clip-ons made for your specific frames

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. prescription sunglasses

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  4. nothing, i prefer to squint a lot

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. something else (please comment)

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  6. transitions auto-tinting lenses

19 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. Greedo Guest

i am going to start wearing eyeglasses more often than my contacts at my doctors suggestion. i usually wear my contacts close to 24/7/365, but i recently ordered some new glasses in the hopes of actually wearing them.

anyway, those of you who wear prescription eyeglasses, what do you do in the daytime outdoors as far as sunglasses? clip ons? magnetic sunglasses? prescription sunglasses? something else? i do know i cannot do magnetic sunglasses as my frames are plastic. i ask as i have not worn eyeglasses outside in years, and maybe there are some options i am not aware of :)

if anyone has any suggestions in terms of specific products, it would be much appreciated.

EDIT: whoops.. i just remembered transitions lenses. ill try to get that onto the poll.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Switch out to prescription sunglasses. It's not as much a pain as you might think.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Mostly I just don't go outside... I never really wore sunglasses before I got my glasses so it doesn't bother me much.

I thought about getting the transitions lenses but then I thought maybe there would be a time where I would not want somebody to know I was just outside and the glasses would give it away... I'm paranoid like that.

4. keekl macrumors regular

keekl

I have an old pair that the script it still good that has nice clipon ~ clipons are sure better now than they were 30 years ago:D

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I use prescription sunglasses 'cause normal frames don't cover my eyes enough. My eyes are light sensitive so I need sunglasses that take up almost my entire field of view.

Lethal

6. AngryApple macrumors 6502

When I used to wear glasses, I had the transitions lenses put in my glasses. Now that I wear colored contacts, I don't even use sunglasses.

7. Bkxmnr macrumors regular

Bkxmnr

I use Fitovers. Not the big nasty ones from Walgreens that old people wear, but smaller ones I got from my eye doctor. I only wear them for driving so I don't look like a complete nerd.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I used to not bother with them at all but I picked up a pair of prescription sunglasses late last year. And I've still not really used them :D. Jasper Conrans too.
    And yes, he wants them back.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

One suggestion is that if you have an old pair of prescription glasses that still have the same prescription, you can always get them tinted.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

Do your eyeglasses have metal or plastic frames? Do the Fitovers add a lot of weight to your nose or ears?

Some of the styles on the Fitovers website don't look too bad. I would definitely consider getting a pair of these for driving as well.

When I used to have metal frames, I had clip-ons, but they seemed to add some annoying weight to my glasses.

When I know I'm going to spend a long period of time outside, I tend to wear my contact lenses with my regular sunglasses (polarized Ray Bans).

11. Greedo thread starter Guest

its funny, but this whole little adventure in new glasses was supposed to be a very cheap, very quick 39dollarglasses.com or zennioptical.com type of deal. then i found frames i really liked (name brand of course), then i found out hi-index lenses cost a lot more, and now i'm at $270+ and i have not gotten sunglasses yet :)

the only issue i have with prescription sunglasses is dropping an additional $100+ on them even with cheap frames. i think i will have to do some more shopping around.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you have a Costco near you it's worth the $50 membership alone to get glasses there.

Lethal

13. Surely Guest

Surely

I bought my D&G glasses from framesdirect.com

Their customer service is fantastic.

If you google "framesdirect coupon code", you can find some decent discounts for them. I got $25 off my glasses.

14. Bkxmnr macrumors regular

Bkxmnr

I have metal frames. The width of my frames exactly matches the inside width of the Fitovers, so the hold together as one unit. They don't fit like that with my older glasses. You might should go find a retailer and test fit some. I don't find that they add much weight. They don't feel too weighty but maybe because the ear pieces hold them up, whereas, clip-ons just add weight to the front of your glasses. As usual, YMMV.

15. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I have transitions lenses, but I'm not too pleased with them. They don't get dark enough for my tastes. Also, one of the main reasons I wanted them was so I didn't have to swap to sunglasses when driving. The problem is they won't change in my car. My car has slightly tinted glass that blocks UV rays, so they won't change. I think next time, I will just go back to prescription sunglasses. It's actually time for me to upgrade, anyway. My glasses also have this anti-reflective coating that is peeling off, and it's annoying.

For the people who order online: how do you tell fit and how they will look on you? Do you try different frames in person, then order online? I've been wary of ordering online, because I want to see how they look and feel on me before ordering frames.

16. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^^ I found frames that I wanted in a store first, and then looked to see if Frames Direct had them. I saved almost $100 on the frames alone from buying them online. I think I saved another $40-50 on the lenses on top of that.

And to Bkxmnr, thanks for the response. I was planning on going to a retailer to try them on first. I've found a few in my area that carry them (at least the website says they do). I'm interested in seeing how they would fit over my plastic frames.

17. mzd macrumors 6502a

i used to never wear sunglasses, but this summer i picked up a box of daily wear contacts for when i know i'll be in the sun a lot. mainly for biking in the summer and skiing in the winter.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well first off I will say DO NOT get cheap frames you will regret it. You will be wearing your glasses all the time so get something you will enjoy wearing, look good and can stand up to the abuse.

As for hi-index it is not worth the money if you script is not strong enough. What is your script because it it is less than -5.00 is not worth the money because the difference is marginal when it is weaker than that.

I have transition lens in my glasses and the only reason I have them is because insurance paid for it other wise it is not worth the 100 something add on cost. They do not work in a car because all windshields do not let UV pass though them and they darken based on UV light. Plus even at full darkness it is only down to 50%. My sunglasses are 10%. My sunglasses are not prescriptions so I have to wear contacts with them.

19. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I gots a pair of Serengeti Visa - they retail (or used to when they were still available) for like $135. I found a pair after much hunting on eBay for $40, including shipping. I was pleased. :)

20. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I SQUINT!!!

Seriously, that's what I do. Most of the answers have been given already. You just have to decide if you want a second pair of glasses or special lenses. We all know clip-ons are about as cool as "pocket protectors." Hey, you can always go with my method of choice. It's definitely the cheapest. :)

21. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I do that too, but I also wear a cowboy hat to keep the sun out of my eyes. If not for the glasses, I'd have that menacing "Josey Wales" look.:D I've got a pair of prescription sunglasses (the polarized variety) that I always keep in my car. I find it much safer to drive with sunglasses rather than squinting.:cool:

23. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

i want prescription sunglasses's though.
    i don't have anything to put on in the sun so... what should my poll pick be?

who where clip-ons that is under 25?

24. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I have had some sort of transitional lens for over 20 years.