Eyestrain with Macbook Air 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Seammal, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Seammal macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Recently I purchased a Macbook Air 2013. The machine is amazing, super fast and great battery life. But I have trouble with the screen. It causes me eyesrain after quite a while. Before this I had a Lenovo t400 with a 1440x900 screen, which was a 14,1" screen. I had no problem with that.
    My question is, did this happen to anyone and got used to the screen after a while? It will be used for a lot of word processing where it is, of course, important that the eye doesn't get tired.
    Also, some apps are fine, or parts of apps, like Airmail is great, except when I'm composing an email, where it is again, almost ridiculously small fonts. I'm also not sure whether the strain is from the smaller text size, or from the glossy screen, or from both.
    I would like to hear people who got used to the screen, maybe it's possible I don't know.

2. larry918 macrumors regular

Like you, I recently purchased the 2013 MBA, and like you, I also experienced a bit of eyestrain. This is coming from previously owning a 2010 MBP, and although this may just be me, everything from text to icons seems larger on that screen. I'm sure that in a few months our eyes will adjust ;)

3. yensteel, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

yensteel macrumors regular

Also having similar problems with eyestrain as well. I don't think I got used to it after a while, stuck to an external monitor and made some adjustments listed below. If I go without it, I guess it will be still the same.

Would adjusting the text size help? Was the size different for the two computers? For Airmail, is there a setting which can adjust the composition size? For browsing, here's an extension called zoombysite for Safari that makes the text more readable. For Chrome, autozoom.

I've used the Powersupport Antiglare for Macbook Air and it helps a bit.

Finally, F.lux may help with the color of the display, and this made the largest difference for late night usage.

4. tecknik1 macrumors member

I had eye strain on my 2011 MacAir and I agree with you it's a great machine but that screen took it,s toll so I got a RMBP, no more eye strain just a big grin.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The eye strain thing is a very personal thing. It bothers some people, others it doesn't. If it bother you, you may want to consider one of the retina MBP models. Although you say you didn't have strain on your old Lenovo. Im not sure there is anything you can do to the MBA to relieve eye strain if it is happening to you.

6. beautifulcoder macrumors regular

Sigh, and people complain that the MBA doesn't support full 1080p. If Apple ever goes with this many pixels to appease the geeks, I'm definitely out.

I agree with you, the screen does bother me a little. You can increase the zoom in the browser, word processor, and increase font size. I personally think writing a web app with 12pt font these days should be considered a crime against humanity. Even on word documents it is just too darn small.

7. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

Will the retina screen of the 13 MacBook Pro improve the eyestrain considering that the retina will also have small fonts ?

8. Code.Red macrumors regular

Code.Red

Most likely yes, because those fonts will be clearer. Also, you have more options regarding screen resolution when dealing with a retina screen. You can have a smaller resolution without losing any detail due to the way OS X handles retina screens (it renders at 2X then scales to fit the screen). So you can make things bigger by choosing a smaller resolution without experiencing the blurring of running at a non-native resolution on a non-retina screen.

9. johnjey macrumors regular

Lol, ever heard of retina eye strain:

WElcome to reality: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4357980?start=0&tstart=0

10. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Fonts are certainly clearer.

Yes, they are larger too by default, unless you scale the screen in the settings to that of the MacBook Air.

I own both, it's a big difference. I often wonder why I bothered buying the Air when I have and LOVE my rMBP ... but my Air is 11" and the size is great. When I feel my eyes straining, which is mostly when under artificial or dim light then I use my rMBP.

I highly recommend the Retina display, especially for a primary machine, it's that good - in my opinion.

hth

11. hbksabhi macrumors regular

Is there more glare on rMBP13 compared to macbook air

Im buying the air as soon as itsbback instock in my area as i dont need that much crispness of text and it aint worth 400$ for me

Zoom in on text will be fine for me as 13 inch is a lot of size and imo retina makes a big diff to iphones and ipad as u dont need to zoom in at all for smaller text

12. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I too bought a 13" MBA and stared at it for 5 hours straight and it gave me eyestrain - I think something's wrong with my MBA.

:rolleyes::p

13. hbksabhi macrumors regular

Lol

14. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Have a 2013 Macbook, had eyestrain, no longer have it. I find the screen very nice during the day. At night, I've tried that f.lux app that everyone keeps raving about and find that it does wonders. No more eyestrain at night.

Also, some of the eyestrain did have to do with slightly smaller than usual fonts in apps. I increased the default font size in Safari, Mail, Office. This completely eliminated the eyestrain issue. Happy camper.

15. larry918 macrumors regular

Only thing I can suggest right now is f.lux. It's an amazing apps that really helps adjust the screen at night, sometimes you even forget its there.

16. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Lol, I wouldn't necessarily go THAT far. It turns your screen into a nice reddish hue that's not exactly subtle.

17. Code.Red macrumors regular

Code.Red

It's not subtle until you're used to it. I have my f.lux set up to match the color of my lighting (so that pure white on the screen is the same white as a piece of paper in real life), and it's great. F.lux only activates at night, and it's a huge difference. Obviously if you're working on stuff where accurate color is required you would want to disable it for that, but otherwise it really helps.

18. larry918 macrumors regular

You can customise it to your liking.

19. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Just decrease the resolution to make everything larger.

20. hbksabhi macrumors regular

The text wont be crisp then compared to the original resolution . It will be fuzzy

21. shinninglikeme macrumors newbie

try adjusting the resolution and brightness of the screen and even if it doesnt help than wait for the two three months to pass to let your eyes get adjusted to it,

And also are u using it in a proper lit room, dark room or too much light may cause watering of eyes. Ansd also take enough sleep thats the major cause for eye strain

22. jdechko macrumors 68040

Agreed 100%. It takes some getting used to and it helps when the lighting in the room matches the color of the LCD.

Personally, I can't stand LED lighting in a dark room. It's too harsh for my eyes. My preference is a halogen lamp on a dimmer switch, but I'd take a warm-hued CFL in a pinch.

23. hbksabhi macrumors regular

24. irDigital0l Guest

Yes, totally agree, never owned a laptop before so coming from my Windows PC (which has average specs but a bright display) I noticed a huge difference. Even compared to my iPhone 4 which has Retina display and iPad 1 which doesn't.

I dont know, would like an 1080p HD display but that would only do 2 things: 1) make the battery shorter 2) make it cost more.

Pretty sure I'll get used to it though.

25. Ray J macrumors member

Nope, because I use the "Hold Cntrl and double scroll up to zoom in" feature A LOT. Makes the screen super large for typing and reading.