EyeTV 3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robbieduncan, Jan 15, 2008.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As per the AppleInsider article EyeTV 3 is now on the Elgato site. All you TV junkies start saving the pennies now...

2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Looks good, not sure if it will be worth it. It would be nice to have a demo for current users. How much (in £) is the update?

3. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's up on their online store for £29.99. It does fix a major issue I have with the current system: it can manage recordings of a whole series for you!

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

that's the only feature that really excites me....

6. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Great. You can be the guinea pig :D

Once you get it can you give us a quick review?

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

apple insider had a run down and screen shots yesterday.

8. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I know, I referred to that in my post starting this thread. The 4th word was AppleInsider. But that doesn't give any real user feel. Once a few people have paid and downloaded we'll all be able to get a good idea about how it's working out for real users.

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

All works. I am going to check out the AppleInsider Article to see whats new and useful.

10. page3 macrumors 6502

...or £20 from their US online store.

11. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Does that work with a UK card and billing address?

12. page3 macrumors 6502

Well I've been sent an invoice. It's a software download - nothing to ship. I buy stuff from the US all the time - perfectly legal.

13. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Well that'll swing the deal for me....

14. page3 macrumors 6502

Not got my download link yet though....

We'll see. I'm not paying more for a software download.

Edited to add: key arrived. Downloading now :)

15. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

any significant new features? not sure if it is worth buying

16. MacRoom macrumors member

Will Post A Review In A Week Or So

From the show floor:

I'll have a copy soon as well as the Home Run hardware and will post a full review here as soon as I've had time to check it all out. :)

Popcorn 3 from their sister company Roxio (El Gato is the developer of Toast) has Handbrake like software conversion software included. Will also be posting a review of that option to Handbrake 0.9.1 here next week as well.

17. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Bought on the US store. Just received my product key and download link. So UK users: go for it: it works :D

18. GreatWhite1 macrumors newbie

CANADIANS NOT SUPPORTED!
    Any Canadian wishing to buy an Elgato product should be aware that EYETV does NOT support scheduling information in Canada. While Elgato claims they have been "working on it" no solution has been offered. This situation has been going on for YEARS. Even with the latest release of EyeTV 3, there is still no Canadian schedule integration.
    Not having the scheduling function support severely cripples the otherwise wonderful software that this company has built.
    Canadians should do a little research and consult the Elgato discussion forums to read threads on this subject and give Elgato some much needed feedback.

19. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Love the smart lists. Nicer on screen stuff is welcome. Like the advanced bookings allot.

20. JudasX macrumors newbie

solid

EyeTV3 is a solid upgrade. the smart playlists are awesome...giving any user the ability to record weekly or by actor, genre and so forth.

I like how they kept the interface almost identical. it is simple and effective and uses all of the same tv guide accounts which makes setup a breeze.

customer service...top notch. Elgato will answer any question in forums or via email.

Question. Anyone wanna share ideal recording settings/dvd burning advice? I'm looking to somehow fit four episodes on a dvd...can it be done?

21. markcres macrumors 6502

markcres

Hi,

One thing I would like to know please... can the new version edit recordings as easily as V2?

I like the ability to trim the programs (start and end) to remove adverts etc without having to fire up a 3rd party video editor.

Thanks
    Mark

22. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes, the new version has all the features of V2.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I may be late to the party, but I bought EyeTV 3 off the US site about 2 weeks ago. Thought it was really good at first, lovely new UI and onscreen menus.

'Cept I left it to record a few TV shows one night. When I got back it gave a recorded time of 0 for all TV shows. The Live TV window was opened so it was all fully operational. Tried recording live again and it gave the same error. I tried exporting 2 clips, one from when 3 was working and one left over from 2 - both got stuck quite early on in the process. Didn't crash but the progress bar just hadn't moved overnight.

Decided to leave 3 for now and go back to 2. But good luck with that! 2 isn't on the Elgato site anymore, I had to hunt down the app via a torrent. Really not happy with Elgato just cutting off 2 like that. To anyone planning an update burn EyeTV 2 to a CD and archive it just incase you get problems.

24. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh