Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andym172

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
UK
Also, and this may be a stupid question, I'm a subscriber to Sky+ - is it possible (through this system or any other) to copy the data being send to (or stored on) my Sky+ system, and have it stored on my Mac's HD?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
greatdevourer said:
Does anyone know of this thing is USB1.1 compat?

It might try and work over USB 1.1 but I doubt that you would get good results. The amount of data being transferred around is too high. If you have a FireWire port you might want to try the 410 (twice the price, at least 20 times the size).

Terratec (who make the hardware) only mention USB 2.0: tech specs.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
andym172 said:
Also, and this may be a stupid question, I'm a subscriber to Sky+ - is it possible (through this system or any other) to copy the data being send to (or stored on) my Sky+ system, and have it stored on my Mac's HD?

This will not work with Sky of any sort. I don't think anything can get the data of a Sky+ box easily. If that's what you want you need to replace the Sky+ box with something like this

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Ordered mine today from work with a decent staff discount :) (sorry got to brag a little sometimes!) We've got plenty on order and are selling for £99.

Not sure on lead times yet, when I phoned our supplier last week they said they had a lot of backorders. Gives me the impression this is going to be a hot item.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Weeeeeeee...

Got mine today :) I've got my EyeTV window running in the background right now and so far i'm pretty impressed. I wont bore people with a full review but I will post a few things i've noticed:

1. The included indoor aerial is very small and has a magnetic base, presumably so you can position it somewhere useful. A leaflet is included in the box warning not to put the aerial near media which could get damaged, such as floppy disks. I tried to use the aerial but it would not pick up anything. Even after going to a normal roof aerial, tuning in the channels, then switching back - It would always say no signal. With a proper aerial it's working just as well as my TV Freeview box.

2. Signal/Quality.
At first I tried to use the front USB port on my G5 as my aerial lead would not stretch far enough to position the EyeTV at the back. This is a USB 1 port. It worked, but the signal would break up often (every second or so) It feels like it can't quite squeeze enough data through USB 1 to keep up, although it will try. It was not watch-able.

Switching over to USB 2 made the world of difference and the quality is exactly the same as my normal set top box. In my area there is an occasional break up on some channels, especially during heavy action. This happens on my normal set top box and on the EyeTV. So full marks for reception.

Picture quality is very good but watching DTT on a 20" Apple Cinema Display just highlights that we are ready for HD. Low resolution video and pixilation on the 'cheap' channels is made more noticeable than on a standard TV. That's not Elgato's fault however and the general quality is just what you'd expect. No dropped frames or artifacts that i've noticed yet that could be caused by the EyeTV itself or the USB interface.

3.General/Misc
All of the EyeTV's software features work great, and it's great to see attention to detail such as the feature to export recordings to PSP ready format. The software feels seamless and inspires confidence. The remote control feels nice and sturdy in general and especially compared to the 410/400. 'Terratec' branding is present on the remote and the device itself. I guess it's part of Elgato's deal with that company. The EyeTV unit itself is TINY. I wasn't quite prepared for it to be so small! CPU usage varies around 20-25% of a dual 2.0Ghz G5, which seems fair to me.

If I discover anything else I'll post it!

nw43

macrumors regular
May 8, 2005
UK
Got mine today and would go along with what TMA has said.

First thing I noticed was the size of it! It arrived in a reasonably big package but is actually smaller than my iPod (although about twice as thick).

Agree that the included antenna is pretty much useless. I'm using a standard indoor aerial at the moment and after some time spent experimenting with different positions am getting a decent reception with very good picture quality although it isn't picking up the BBC Channels. I think I'll buy a better aerial at some point.

The software is also good and overall I'm very pleased with my purchase :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Here's one i've just taken, just for you.

Attachments

• IMG_0482.jpg
    IMG_0482.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 220

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
London
Hi, I'm glad there's a good thread on this and mostly UK based as well.

I spotted this on the Apple store and it looks very appealing. Not knowing where to turn to first I called Apple Customer Services and asked a few questions. I'd just like to confirm a few things they said though, as I haven't found any details anywhere else.

They said that you could get a cable splitter so that you could watch your TV in the normal way and also watch (and record) TV on your Mac at the same time. Does that sound feasible?

Amazingly, I already have a TV but no DVD recorder, so I'm purely interested in using this as a recording device. I'm not expecting DVD quality graphics, just something small and unassuming that I can program to record Match of The Day whilst I'm in the pub or something similar.

So the aerial is useless? Pity, would be nice to take my PB into the park or on the beach and watch TV.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
kerpow said:
They said that you could get a cable splitter so that you could watch your TV in the normal way and also watch (and record) TV on your Mac at the same time. Does that sound feasible?

Sure. You might need to split an amplify so as not to half the incoming signal strength, but it's more than possible

kerpow said:
Amazingly, I already have a TV but no DVD recorder, so I'm purely interested in using this as a recording device. I'm not expecting DVD quality graphics, just something small and unassuming that I can program to record Match of The Day whilst I'm in the pub or something similar.

It will be fine for that. It will be as good as the input signal. If you get good TV reception you will get good recordings.

kerpow said:
So the aerial is useless? Pity, would be nice to take my PB into the park or on the beach and watch TV.

It's useless indoors. It might just about work outdoors in areas of good signals...

iMacSE500

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2005
M
I plan on picking up a refurbished EyeTV 200 for $200. Anyone have expierence with this model? Will my G5 (1.8 17" 512MB) be enough to run it fine?

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
kerpow said:
Completely feasible. My aerial cable is split and it's working fine. No loss in signal.

kerpow said:
Yes the indoor aerial is pretty useless. I couldn't get a picture at all with it. EyeTV software would report 'No Signal' on every channel. I can't imagine it working unless you're in an area with exceptional reception and put the aerial outside.

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
robbieduncan said:
Not sure about radio...

I have the 410 too, I'm a bit sceptical about the USB2 one, but it sounds like people have been having good results. You can get radio on the 410, I'm not sure about the other. It's either a something you input in terminal or little patch you download. Google the elgato site for it, I'm not sure it's completely finished but I've never had a problem.

I love the 410 it sits nicely under my old style 20" cinema display. My PB gets hot enough with it, I don't know what would happen if I had the USB version. Reception is fine with a indoor powered aerial (although not with the little one they include), however, I do live just down the road from BBC television centre so that may be the reason as I think BBC run freeview?

It was definitely a good buy, being able to program it over the net from work, is a major plus, as is pausing live TV. Sure it was a bit pricey but I think worth it, shame the remote is so tacky.

assscat

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2005
Sabbath said:
I have the 410 too. You can get radio on the 410, I'm not sure about the other. It's either a something you input in terminal or little patch you download. Google the elgato site for it, I'm not sure it's completely finished but I've never had a problem.

I too have the 410 and would like to see elgato support radio broadcasts. I googled their site and only found out that they may support radio in a future software update. If you have radio working on your 410 please let us know how you have managed this!

Nevermind, I have found this line of code here (http://www.orablogs.com/gdavison/archives/001174.html):

defaults write com.elgato.eyetv "Add Audio-Only Services" -bool 'true'

Apparently this works, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Tried it out and it works – digital radio on my Mac! Very cool indeed. :cool:

the dr

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2005
London
antenna

got my T2 today. unfortunately the antenna as previously reported is utterly useless. I have 0% signal, so haven't yet been able to watch any telly. am going to take my frustrations out on a good game of halo and then try it downstairs with the roof aerial.

doc

al3000

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2005
England
Thanks for the photo. I am pretty shocked by what you are all saying about the aerial! It's suprising that they would include one if it is going to be that useless :confused:

the dr

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2005
London
so i tried it downstairs and watched and recorded scrubs. worked fine. although how do i view the recordings afterwards? does the hardware need to be plugged in?

I have been having some issues with the graphics on my revB iMac G5 2.0GHz 17". i first noticed it in finder a few days ago and since then i get funny green lines on my screen. they are about 4cm long, horizontal and discontinuous, rather like a small bar code in appearance. they are about 1.5mm wide. has anyone else had these? they were particularly bad in full screen mode, and have experienced them playing a dvd and just in the finder. games, so far, seem unaffected. anyone know how i can get rid of these?

doc

DJK

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2005
The n00b question

Yes, this being my first post must contain the eternal 'n00b' and must be a seemingly stupid question, so here goes...

I have read many things on this thread about connecting the EyeTV DTT to an external antenna and am considering purchasing one (EyeTV), how do you do this?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.