EyeTV is it any good ????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spoon man, Dec 22, 2007.

1. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

im thinking about getting EyeTV but i havent see any reviews has any one use it or dose any one have it and how dose it work :confused:

2. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

There are tons of reviews. But to answer your question, yes, it's the best digital video recording software that I've ever used.

3. spoon man thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoon man

i might get it from amazon £50 is it simple to set up and what are the do's and donts

4. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

DO buy one. DON'T buy anything else. :)

Seriously, The EyeTV software (bundled with all the EyeTV hardware) is streets ahead of anything else for any platform.

Just make sure you pick the right EyeTV hardware for your needs. Note none of them work with Sky in the UK.

SL

5. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

Overall, the EyeTV software is great. It is easy to schedule recordings, remove commercials, and export to a compatible AppleTV or iPod format.

On the negative side, if a time for a tv show changes, then it will not automatically adjust its recording because it bases its schedule on TitanTV (at least in the U.S.)

I have noticed the occasional recording that is incomplete (0 seconds or 40 minutes for a 1 hour program). I am not sure what causes this.

6. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Likewise in the UK. Here it uses tvtv.co.uk, or picks up the program guide from the digital TV signal. But once you've set to record, it won't update if the schedule changes.

7. spoon man thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoon man

its sounding more and more good to me but whats the standard requirements ive got a imac osx 10.5 intel duo core will that be good ?? and being as im in the u.k how would i go about getting these channels ?

8. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Elgato.com have a very good product selector. Clicky-click.

You've not mentioned how much RAM you've got but I'm sure you'll be fine. The system requirements are on the site too.

SL

9. spoon man thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoon man

well i think im sold on this im going to my apple show and see if they have any :)

10. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I am looking at buying one too-Is there any reason to wait till Macworld to see if an update of any kind comes from Elgato? Or Is it a pretty safe time to buy one?

11. BashStreetYouth macrumors member

How do you mean?

I've just got a EyeTV hybrid and a SKY box is all i have regarding input. I get a picture fine but can't get the program guide stuff working as i only have 1 channel. Also can't get the picture in 16/9 despite having the digibox set to output in that format. Also, theres quite a bit of lag when timeshift is on. Almost a full 1 second between pressing on SKY remote and it showing up on screen.

Is that what you meant? Or are there any workarounds for my problems?

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Did you write to elgato about the issue?

13. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Yes, it is what I meant. Although I don't know about the aspect ratio issue. Anyway, it's only based on what I've read, as I have EyeTV 410 & Freeview, not EyeTV Hybrid & Sky.

AFAIK, Sky is a proprietary system. If it wasn't, you'd be able to plug the appropriate EyeTV device (EyeTV 310 - not the Hybrid) into your satellite dish (bypassing the Sky box altogether) and get EPG, remote scheduling, and all the other EyeTV goodness.

As things stand, to record Sky with your setup, you'll have to program your Sky box and program EyeTV manually.

No. If I did, it would be a feature request, not bug report. That's just the way it works. I don't know if the source of the limitation is the EyeTV software itself, or the various EPGs that EyeTV has to deal with.

But hey... I'm sure it'll be discussed here...

http://forums.elgato.com/

Write to them yourself. :)

SL

14. timmyb macrumors 6502

How is the reception in UK cities? (Central London) Does it need an aerial?

15. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Yes it needs an aerial (unless you get the cable or satellite version, obviously). A small one was included with my EyeTV 410.

Reception is equivalent to any regular TV set or Freeview box. I can't speak for Central London, but for me (small town)...

With included aerial = hopeless.
    With larger "set-top" aerial = Fine as long as the aerial is pointing in exactly the right direction (annoying if you knock it without realising before your favourite show is set to record).
    With rooftop aerial = perfect - actually better than most of the freeview boxes I've owned.

SL

16. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, elgato is seriously the best option. If you are stuck with some other tuner though you can buy their software separately (for instance, CompUSA was recently selling a tuner that was basically an EyeTV hybrid but from another maker).

17. gvegastiger macrumors regular

So basically eyetv sells Mac compatible tuners and then the recording software. Can you stream the content to your AppleTV? How else can you get the content to your tv?

18. aosman macrumors 6502

Personally I love EyeTV. Very convenient I think.

19. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I love mine (eyeTV 250). It's great to be able to watch tv while in the computer room. I really bought it to convert old VHS tapes to the computer and then to DVD, with the bonus of being able to watch tv.

20. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I personally got an EyeTV Hybrid for Christmas, and think it works great. It hits the processor less than I expected, and TV looks great.

21. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

If you're still planning on buying through Amazon, I've found that the elgato online shop is cheaper. (If you pay in € as opposed to £)

Also, when you're viewing the shop, type in a made up webpage to get a 404 error and 10% off :D

22. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Works well with Apple TV

The two products are very complimentary. The eyetv program library shows up on the apple tv list of programs. There is a preset setting for exporting the recorded shows to apple TV.

23. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I emailed them because of that and the thread I opened and got this response...

According to what they've said I guess they do but not a recorder, yes?
    I'm still trying to work this out for my own benefit when I get my iMac.

24. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Using EyeTV software, you can export recorded programmes to iTunes, iPod and :apple:TV at the touch of a button. But a word of caution: depending on what Mac you've got, this can take ages.

On my current MBP (see sig), the conversion is just about done in real time. Eg, a 40 min programme takes 40 minutes to convert from the MPEG2 that is provided by Freeview in the UK to :apple:TV-compatible H264.

However, on my old iBook G4 (also see sig), converting the same programme took over 24 hours!

Elgato sells a USB dongle called the Turbo.264, which is a "hardware accelerator" that is supposed to speed the process up. I've tried it on my MBP and it doesn't make much difference, although it does free up the C2D for other tasks. I have heard it makes a bigger difference on older machines, but I've not tried it.

So yes, EyeTV and :apple:TV make great companions, as long as you are prepared to wait.

Alternatively, to get the EyeTV programmes to your TV, you can burn a DVD Video using Roxio Toast (I think a cut-down version now ships with the hardware). Or just watch it on your Mac. :)

SL

25. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

The EyeTV 310 isn't compatible with BSkyB at all, despite it being for "satellite TV".

You can use the EyeTV 250 Plus or EyeTV Hybrid to view and record BSkyB on your Mac by plugging your existing Sky Box into the EyeTV. You won't be able to change channel from the EyeTV interface, and scheduling the recording of programmes will be a fiddly case of manually programming the EyeTV software and the Sky box together.

SL