EyeTV software update: iPhone streaming

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nagromme, Sep 24, 2007.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I just know I would use this in bed--books, shmooks! :) When in range of your home network, you can watch your EyeTV recorded shows on your iPhone or iPod Touch--by streaming, so there's no need to take up space on your iPhone. Certain TV shows I don't care THAT much about would make fine "bedtime reading."

From ElGato's readme:

"EyeTV 2.5 can share its library of recordings for playback on your iPhone and iPod touch across a local Wi-Fi network. To enable Wi-Fi Access, open EyeTV's preferences, select the Wi-Fi Access pane, and click Start."

Download here. There are some other pretty big new features included too, like floating TV window, the ability to go back in time to start recording (within the buffer limit), and the ability to timeshift analog broadcasts even if you didn't have them set to record--and even on the EyeTV Hybrid (which lacks hardware compression, relying on your CPU to do the work).

Screenshot attached. One more reason for me to love my EyeTV Hyrbid... and to want an iPhone.

Attached Files:

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Looks awesome...it really would be cool if you could slingbox your stuff to an iPhone...

3. confirmed macrumors regular

confirmed

i just installed this.. i love it! works great on the iPhone.

my only wish would be for an option to upload the EyeTV webapp and iPhone converted files to .Mac.. then one could watch from any WiFi connection... would be great for when i travel, being able to watch whatever was recorded while i'm away from home. of course, this could be done without .Mac with the right ports open, but one would need to have an approx. 1Mbps outgoing connection.. few have that.

or.. an option to also convert a tiny version for Edge access.. quality would be pretty poor, but better than nothing!

4. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

Sweet! I really dig my EyeTV. This is just icing on the cake! Who needs iTunes TV shows when you have EyeTV and streaming to the iPhone???

Yay, Elgato!

:D

--DotComCTO

5. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

I want to watch and record HDTV "The Office" episodes onto my Mac so I can them sync them to my iPhone and iPod... Do I get the eyeTV 2.5 or the Hybrid?

Their many models confuse me and though it seems like a neat company the differences between their products don't seem clear to me at all.

Any advice?

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

It really depends on what your TV setup is.Meaning do you have cable,satellite,OTA digital ?

I use the Hybrid to record free over the air HD from all the local channels.Works great.

7. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

With the hybrid does it matter what TV service I have? To me it sounded like it will pick up HD stuff as long as its network stations like NBC FOX and ABC. But maybe I'm confused?

I really think they need to revamp their site to show which device does what. I would have bought by now if their lineup wasn't confusing.

For the record though I have cable (with HD) from Comcast.

8. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Just finished up the 3rd season of The Office... I had a marathon and watched them all, it was great fun :)

9. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I've got Comcast HD too.

The only problem with recording HD from the Comcast HD box is due to Elgato not having any HDMI or Component inputs on any of their hardware.So you cant record a HD signal from the Comcast box.
    I went out and got a HD antenna that sits on my desk and is connected via COAX to the input on the Hybrid.This allows me to receive that over the air HD signal from local stations.

The best signal you can get from Elgato hardware other than OTA HD would be S-Video.

10. Drile macrumors member

That would be beyond awesome.

11. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

every day that goes by weakens my resolve to not hack my iphone...

*sigh*

12. codo macrumors 6502

This update screwed my viewing of non-BBC channels. ITV/Channel 4 just come up as "No Signal".

Reverted back to the previous version considering I have no use for the iPhone streaming, but I like the sound of the float on top feature.

Any other UK EyeTV people having this problem?

13. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

it is cool bit of tech, but if I'm in range of my network anyway, why wouldn't I just watch my shows on my TV?

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I get that now and then — and it is always the ITV/Channel 4 stuff. Usually if I unplug and wait a few seconds then try again it comes back.

With the previous version of EyeTV (pre-2.4) I had no success with the History channle for instance. 2.4 solved that…

15. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

Dispite haing got 2.4 with my Terratec Cinergy T2, it doesnt like my serial, any help?

16. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

The software update is for watching pre-recorded shows, not live TV. The upside is the EyeTV lets you manually edit your recorded shows so you can do things like remove commercials.

:D

--DotComCTO

17. projectle macrumors 6502

Am I the only one wondering "how?"

Does this load a custom App onto the iPhone to let it do the streaming or is there something already in the iPhone to allow it?

Sure there is the YouTube streaming, but they would obviously have to change something if Apple hadn't made a deal with them to include it.

18. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

the iphone can already "stream" mp4 movies from websites. all eyetv does is turn on web sharing from your host computer.

19. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

EyeTV simply encodes the file to iPhone format and adds the "stream" part to the export.It then makes a webpage like all the other Web 2.0 or iPhone Dev team websites on your computer.The software includes EyeTV's EyeConnect server software wrapped in the main app.

So when you go to the webpage it shows a list of the videos and when you select one the EyeConnect streams it to your iPhone.

20. TuckBodi macrumors 6502

Bathroom?

21. bucksatan731 macrumors member

Not working for me, updated and converted shows, but when I access them all I get is this

[​IMG]

The shows do not show up, I knowthey are converted b/c when I do a show package contents on the shows, the .iphone.m4v is in there...grrrrrrrrrrr

22. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

www.tivo.com

If I'm home, I watch it on my television.

If I'm mobile and out of range of the network anyway, you just copy it to the iPhone with tivo2go.

Again, it's cool and I can see the appeal with the streaming but it seems like tech in search of a niche.

Maybe for people without a TV or something.

23. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

mythtv.org

I have been using it for years and even have a job that converts my recordings to quicktime podcast format that you can directly subscribe to in iTunes and pull them in to watch. There is a web player but it is flash based so far so the iPhone really needs flash now.

24. samiwas macrumors 65816

Well, you wouldn't be streaming them live anyway, so it would only be for recorded shows, BUT... If you are in range of your wireless network, why not just watch them on your computer where the screen is, I don't know, about 15 times bigger?

I do think it's a cool idea and am psyched that it works. I tried it last night, but just didn't get why I would sit with my iphone when I could sit with my laptop/desktop.