F.A.Q. for PowerPC Macs

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by skinniezinho, Feb 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Will deleting those kexts speed up the boot process?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Bit late response, didn't check for a few days.
    Yes it does, when you remove/delete kexts from the extension folder the Extensions.mkext gets updated and it will speed up your boot time.

It took me a long time to figure out which ones to keep and which ones are needed, if I moved a wrong one it would not boot up, start up in verbose and it hangs, but I do have a second clean partition and then just logged in as root and moved it back.
    So, if you do that you need a second disk to boot from in the case it won't boot.
    Boot time went down substantially.

3. jtkc macrumors newbie

swaps ??

ok we all know that you cannot install an intel processor on a ppc board. lol.

here is my question. Can you take intel based internals and swap them into a ppc case?

also, if my ppc is or was a 1.8ghz 20 inch.
    Wanting to know if i found 2.0ghz ppc internals, would i be able to just swap out the 1.8 logic board and processor for the 2.0, or would it be a complete gut and total re-install of all internals?

im relatively new to the forum, but not to forums, i most always try to find and read the stickies and FAQS before posting, i hope i didnt miss this topic, if its already been addressed

4. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Allthough I think we should keep these kind of post out of the sticky, which should more be a collection of information, I will answer you.

1. - why shouldn't one use a different case? As long as you take all Intel components (or PC components) it will work with some tinkering (may include cutting new holes for ports etc.).
    2. - some G4 PSUs are not compatible with other PowerMac G4 model's mainboards. PowerMac G5s are even more trouble some, because you hardly find PSU line-outs on the net. The number of incompatible parts (PSU, Mainboard, CPU, liquid cooling vs fans,...) is higher. If you do not have an "Apple diagnostics CD" (Apple techs have them only), you will not be able to calibrate a swapped G5 CPU even, if the models are the same and only differ in CPU speed.

5. wlo macrumors newbie

Mac OS Xserve performance check

Hello everyone,
    I using Mac OS X 10.4 of rackmac3.1 with powerG5, CPU x2, Cpu speed2.3 GHz, L2cache 512KB Memory 4GB. It is as a file server for 20 mac client. Users always complain about slow performace in accessing file which are using in Photoshop. I check using the activity monitor and does not find any problem. Could you have any suggestions that might check this issue?
    Best regards,

6. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

this is a FAQ, it is meant to collect information, not for asking questions.
    May I be so polite to ask you to open a separate thread for your specific problem? You can ask the moderators to move your post.

7. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

I just wanted to add that the palmrest for the TiBook pops off very easily... I just found this out a couple hours after owning one :(.

8. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Linux section added, some more usefull topics added too

9. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

You shouldn't recommend to use Ubuntu on a low-specced Mac, it would run slow as hell. A better choice would be Debian 7 with LXDE or Lubuntu 12.04 or 13.04.
    I'd stay away from any Ubuntu distro except for Lubuntu and I'd only run the LXDE and Openbox GUIs/window managers on Debian. :)

10. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't =)
    I told about running ubuntu but didn't stated on what mac, guess people should do their homework, but sooner I try to update using some numbers too =)

11. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

I must have mis-interpreted this then:

12. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

not mis-interpreted, it's kind language barrier, what I mean is that ubuntu based distros are most user friendly.
    I will try to modify it =) thanks for the suggestions!

13. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

14. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

I wanted to share this link:

- it has infos about Mac OS 9 and about hardware restrictions
    - Quicksilver and 128GB limit (some of you might know, that some Quicksilver Models with the same CPU speed and production year can see drives over 128GB and some not. Here they say for what number on the logicboard you have to look, in order to know, which one is what.)

http://macos9lives.com/mac os 9 lives_003.htm

They also have a forum.

15. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Very nice thread, and lots of useful and plain good to know information here. :)

16. arnofwtx macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information

You have saved me a lot of search and "sounding and like an idiot" time.

17. xtempo macrumors 6502

xtempo

Does anyone know how to recognize a 750GB HD in leopard on G5?
    I mean all 750 GB of it so far when I format it shows 633 and i lose about a 100GB it seems.

18. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

You must have the correct drivers. Your mac cannot 'see' all the HD unless you 'tell' the mac that it's there.

Not all true. Lubuntu is the best alternative for PPC Mac, but Ubuntu 10.04 can be very fast on even low spec iBooks. Ubuntu 13.10 isn't often good for PPC, as all necessary drivers aren't there for a lot of PPC machines. Go with 12.04, I would say.

19. xtempo macrumors 6502

xtempo

I should have know this since I bought it new from MicroCenter.

how does updating the driver work? I know how to do the stuff in windows but I've never done anything about drivers on the mac.

thanks for the help.:)

20. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There's no need to additional drivers when using Mac OS X. How is the drive connected to the machine?

21. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Several people have stated that some PPC machines can only use some of the drive because the machine only supports as much as it 'sees'. It can only use as much as it sees, so they found additional drivers helpful.

22. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's only for G3's and early G4's. No G5 has that problem. Even then, the drive would should up as about 120GB in a G3/early G4 not as 633GB.

23. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Aha! That's useful to know.....:eek:
    Thanks for clearing that up, I would have never known.

24. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Some OS's set aside a percentage of space for background use, like virtual memory, data redundancy, etc. Not really sure if HFS+ Journaled/OS X is the same.

But then again I never really encountered this problem (at most the OS set aside ~.5% of any of my drives).

25. xtempo macrumors 6502

xtempo

the drive is internal.

Seagate ST3750640NS 750GB. I have not found any drivers so I might have to stick with what it sees. Luckily I have a USB drive I'm using as a backup.

Might have to get another USB if I need more space.