Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
So what is Apple asking customers who have iPads with light bleeds to do? Are they asking them to hold on to their iPads and wait a bit until a new batch arrives?

I'm not sure I have light bleed on mine. I have to test it out with full brightness on in a dark room.

gigabella

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
So what is Apple asking customers who have iPads with light bleeds to do? Are they asking them to hold on to their iPads and wait a bit until a new batch arrives?

I'm not sure I have light bleed on mine. I have to test it out with full brightness on in a dark room.

You would know if your ipad has this issue and i wouldnt look for it if you dont notice it already.

I myself can see it on any dark background in normal lighting at 50% brightness. You dont have to crank it up to 100% and install blackout shades in your house.

chotty

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
If you are so inclined...do as I did...make a Genius appointment, show them your iPad with light-leaking, bleeding, etc.

- they will either give you a new one on the spot, or place an order for a replacement.

- you continue to use your current iPad until the replacement comes in and then they will call you when its time to come pick up your new one....

That's exactly what I did. I've made another case# for this one & will wait it out until it's worth even attempting to exchange again...

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Maybe there should be a poll to see if anyone has an ipad2 without F as the 4th letter in the s/n

ahbo

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2005
Maybe there should be a poll to see if anyone has an ipad2 without F as the 4th letter in the s/n

I think the OP should update the first post with the contents of my post from the 2nd page, to stop everyone else from wasting their time with this theory.

Here it is again:

----
Guys, hate to burst your bubble, but all the 'F' means is that the iPad was made in the first half of 2011. Exchange your iPad as many times as you like, they won't change until the second half of the year, at which point they'll be a G.

It has nothing to do with factory, components, batch or anything else. Just the fact that it is currently the first half of the 2011.

The new 12-digit serial number format makes a few minor tweaks to the format, which we have been able to decipher. The increase in length for the new format, which takes on the sequence PPPYWSSSCCCC, can be attributed to changes to the length of the “P”, “W”, and “C” portions of the code.

The addition of a third “P” digit to assist in identifying the manufacturing location is a fairly straightforward change, although it remains to be seen whether existing plant codes will simply have a character such as a “0″ appended to them or if the system is being entirely reworked. The difference in the “W” component is more significant, however, including a shift to alphanumeric codes that will make it a bit more difficult to decipher a machine’s manufacturing at a simple glance. The “W” change is also related to a difference in how the “Y” component is used.

Under the previous format, the “Y” component of the serial number was simply the last digit of the year of manufacture, meaning that a machine produced this year would carry a “0″ in that position. The number in that position would obviously recycle every ten years, but it should be relatively clear from Apple’s product release history whether a given machine was produced in 2000 or 2010.

While leaving the length the same at one character, Apple has modified the “Y” component to include a letter code instead of a number, and the new system will reflect in that code not only the year of manufacture, but also whether it was manufactured in the first or second half of the year. Apple has elected to use 20 different letters in this position, omitting vowels A, E, I, O, and U, as well as B. As with the previous system, letters in this position will recycle every ten years. For 2010, machines with a “C” in this position will have been manufactured in weeks 1-26, while machines with a “D” will have been manufactured in weeks 27-52 or 53. Next year will see the use of codes “F” and “G”, and so on.

http://ipad.headlinestimes.com/ipad-widgets/apple-tweaks-serial-number-format-with-new-macbook-pro/

K4LK

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
So I just got off the phone with apple support about my iPad 2 having light leak

One thing the apple advisor told me is that if the 4th letter in your serial number if F (mine is one of them) then your iPad most likely would have light bleed.

I Want to test this theory to see if it is correct.

Please post if your iPad's 4th letter in your serial number is F or not and post if your iPad has bleeding or not

Thanks!

Fourth letter is F. Light bleed at corners. Purchased at BB 4/14 and Genius ordered replacement on 4/15. Still waiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.