f.lux has about 8 million downloads

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by timpster, Mar 25, 2014.

1. timpster macrumors newbie

some users here like to question the popularity of f.lux, and that's just fine.

Ask @justgetflux on twitter - or email them at justgetflux at gmail dot com how many users they have or how many downloads they get and they will probably tell you 8 million.

On the Mac beta alone they got 20,000 users (maybe more, I'll check)!
    Go to reddit.com
    search f.lux and sort by new
    Most of these posts are about tweak issues and every one of them list f.lux is installed

so if you think only a small amount of people use f.lux then you are completely wrong.

that's about all I wanted to say -- didn't want to make a new thread but the one asking for f.lux to be included got closed so I couldn't post there.

If you haven't tried f.lux before do so today, and set the night setting to 4200k
    http://www.justgetflux.com/

2. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Umm... Yay for the flux creator? Not sure what you want.

3. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

I think this is to convince Apple/others who think Apple shouldn't bother allowing f.lux on iOS that there is a large user base who would happy to see it available.

4. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

If this is the tool that allows for night reading I'm in support of it! Not willing to JB to read at night though!

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

6. white4s Suspended

try it out, you'll realize how boring & freedom-less an unjailbreaked iphone is

i'll never go back one again

7. timpster thread starter macrumors newbie

I completely understand, and that is the thread I read today and was referring to! hence why I really didn't wanna make a new one but oh well

F.lux is on Mac laptop / desktop, Windows PC, and partially Linux... you are best using the Windows version on Linux.

8. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I use it on my mac. It's a great app!

Not quite sure what the point of this thread is. But I agree it's a useful app.

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Y, its not like jailbreaking harms your device in anyway.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Probably? So you don't know for sure? Sounds like your headline is using hyperbole just to get attention.

11. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

lol, didn't spot that.

12. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

A lot of die-hard Apple fanboys blindly justifying every single decision of Apple tend to state f.lux is absolutely useless and hence the lack of iOS support for it. The same people also question the popularity of f.lux, stating we f.lux users and proponents just make figures up.

Threads like these do prove we're right and the above-referenced Apple fanboys are, as usual, wrong.

13. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I don't. I question its usefulness.

14. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Installed f.lux on my Windows Bootcamp just to try it out, after 3 days I installed it on both Mac OS X and iPhone. Wouldn't want without anymore.

Apple would definitely be pleasing alot of users if they'd allow apps of these sorts.

----------

I would say try it out, install it and set it to its default setting.
    After a few days just completely uninstall it, and I am sure you'll notice the difference.

15. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

IN addition to f.lux, there are a LOT of other, GREAT stuff achievable via JB'ing. JB'n iOS is so great that I prefer it to Android / Symbian, two other, very flexible, open systems - this is why I use my JB'n iPhone5 as my main phone, and not my Symbian-based Nokia 808. I'd use the latter, should be there no JB for my iPhone.

IMHO it's a big mistake NOT to JB.

16. 0xyMoron macrumors 6502

I love f.lux, i use it on every OS i have, couldn't do without it.

17. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

I found f.lux very useful on my iPhone 5s 7.0.6. But I had to uninstall it due to stability issues.

Prior to installing, I would experience a reboot/respring maybe once every couple weeks...maybe. After installing f.lux, I would boot to safe mode at least once a day. And this was with the latest version.

Maybe it conflicted with something else I have installed. I run common popular JB apps and wasn't able to identify any know conflicts.

But, I'm stable again after uninstalling...too bad, cuz I liked it.

18. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

I'm absolutely sure it was a conflict with another tweak. I'm using f.lux on my also-7.0.6 and also-64bit rMini and have never had any resprings, except for rare cases where a two-button hard reset became necessary when I backgrounded the pretty memory-intensive XCOM game. But the latter surely wasn't caused by f.lux but by XCOM / the OS itself.

I recommend removing all the tweaks / themes and starting everything from scratch to find out the culprit.

19. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

I could tolerate it if it was resprings, but I was being booted to safe-mode.

It wasn't worth my time to isolate which tweak was conflicting. Priority-wise, I value the other tweaks more. I also don't run any themes.

20. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Absolutely love f.lux. Been using it for years on all my devices and computers. Never ran into respring or stability issues because of flux. I swear by it and recommend it to everyone I know. And they almost always become permanent converts.

21. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I like having f.lux on my Mac (although it drives me nuts when I'm in Photoshop and then realize my colors are all wrong), but I don't like it on my phone.

More than anything I'm just tired of hearing about it, but these threads are like a trainwreck - I don't want to watch, but I can't look away. :)

22. timpster thread starter macrumors newbie

I am certain that they have 8 million+ downloads.

I just asked them how many people tried the new mac version! and they said

"zillions by now" - in other words, too many to count!

edit: If you have doubts about its usefulness, go take a look at the research page!

23. BumpyFlatline, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014

BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Recently there was a big piece I listened to on NPR. It was all about the effects our phones and computers have on our eyes and brains late at night. They didn't reference flux directly but talked about software that can make these electronic devices warmer which have a direct impact on eye health and how your brain receives this light information late at night. They strongly suggested using this available software and to buy the new lightbulbs that offer a warmer tone at night to protect your health. There is a lot of research that supports this theory and not a whole lot (if any) that negates it.

But in the end it's personal choice. Smoking is extremely bad for your health but people ignore those warnings and continue to smoke. I am one of these people lol.

24. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Try it. Makes sleeping so much easier.

25. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I read the last thread top to bottom and could not make sense of the energy level. All that fear and anger over free and optional software.