Face ID and lying in bed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Boardiesboi, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Boardiesboi, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

Boardiesboi macrumors 65816

Boardiesboi

Face ID won’t work for me when I wake up in bed in the dark... like 8/10 times it won’t work. Lying sideways or flat.

I thought cos my eyes were half open because I just woke up. But even after 5 mins it still won’t work.

It’s not a darkness issue as it worked when I’m upright. It’s flawless during the day when I’m out and about. Works 10/10

Someone on reddit suggested that doings the second scan during set up from a low angle will help.

What’s your experience with Face ID when you’re lying flat eg on the couch, in bed etc?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You are probably going to have to lean over or pick the phone up. It definitely cannot work at that extreme of an angle.

3. Boardiesboi thread starter macrumors 65816

Boardiesboi

I’m lying in bed and the phone is picked up and directly in front of my face

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Oh that’s not normal. Mine works flawless like that. I thought you mean trying to look at it on a nightstand.

Edit: if I hold it above my head it doesn’t work. I think the sensor only works if below head level...interesting.

5. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

Try resetting Face ID. First snapshot face on. The second one the way you try to unlock the phone in bed. Might work better.

6. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

If the phone is in landscape then it won't work.

7. freejack macrumors regular

freejack

I mean no offense by this but some people's faces will appear very different when lying down due to loose, flabby skin which may exceed the tolerance of face ID matching.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I’m seeing what the OP is. If I am on my back and the phone is slightly higher than eye level it’s failing.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    That really could be it. I’m thin, but I’m sure you are right.

9. deany macrumors 68030

deany

I can see folks picking their phone up whilest in bed and holding it to their face and slipping out of hand, who knows maybe chipping a tooth. Hope not but I've nearly done this.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This is a valid point. Because some Faces be slightly altered when laying down based on what you said. I'm Sure It will work properly for most, but there are those unlikely situations where it's being rather finicky.

11. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

You could try turning off requiring attention, see if that helps.

12. Avenger macrumors 6502a

If you put the phone too close to your face, it can't take in your whole face. You have to hold it about an arms distance away. This is a drawback to me.

13. Boardiesboi thread starter macrumors 65816

Boardiesboi

I’ve reset Face ID. First scan normal upright position. Second scan lying down from a low angle. It seems to have made unlocking while lying in bed more reliable.

Apparently doing this will also help with unlocking while the phone is lying flat on the desk.

I suggest doing the two scans in different angles so it captures more of your face from multiple angles.

14. Avenger macrumors 6502a

Still if you are one to bring the phone close to your face in bed, it won't work. Like when you have your glasses off and want to look at it. It basically has to be at the distance when you initialized face Id.

15. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

16. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

Why? Short arms? ;)

17. narr macrumors member

narr

18. Avenger macrumors 6502a

No haha You have your eyeglasses off but want to view the screen. It'll be to close for face ID to work.

19. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

That’s the home bar.

20. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

He didn't, that's the Home bar!

21. narr macrumors member

narr

22. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68020

THE JUICEMAN

Definitely an issue when laying down. I think titling the phone to line up with the angle of your face is the best bet. It’s definitely worst than Touch ID for this though. Apple will need to improve this.

23. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I had my phone on my nightstand last night, woke up, still dark, wanted to check the time (had an early dance practice for the little G). From laying on my side, facing the nightstand, I lifted my phone - also on its "side", i.e., it was portrait oriented relative to my face), unlocked as expected. My face wasn't buried in a pillow, I was on the edge of it and the bed.

Side note: holy sheetz, the OLED display and high[er] brightness levels is like the surface of the sun :D

24. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

I’m thin and young but I’m sure s/he is right. #sameproblem

25. Damstr macrumors 6502