Face ID Can't Be Used to Approve Family Purchases on iPhone X

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 27, 2017.

1. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Why would that matter to an iPhone X owner? :confused:

2. profets macrumors 601

You’re missing the point entirely. With family sharing setup kids are unable to let loose in the App Store spending thousands. They’re required to ask a parent instead of purchasing the app themselves.

When a child attempts to get an app, the parent receives a request which can be accepted with Touch ID. Looks like on iPhone X manually entering the password is required instead of confirmation of double pressing the side button (like is the case when purchasing apps or confirming other payments on the X).

3. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

No, the reason is because Face ID is so much better. I'm starting to think the haters haven't used it...

4. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Perhaps. But really, my reason is still true.

5. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

Haters run with this news quickly as possible as not to buy the phone when it can be fix with a software update

6. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

He could go back right now, to a phone with equal performance. Gotta love inattentive Apple haters.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 27, 2017 ---
    Actually, it's not true in any way. Both the 8 and X use the same SoC clocked at the same speeds.

7. JMoney8318 macrumors newbie

JMoney8318

The current process is definitely aggravating but I'll hold on hoping it's fixed through a software update. The truth of the matter is that Face ID is making use my phone more again than trying to keep it in my pocket and relying on my watch.

8. neutralguy macrumors 6502a

Each face will cost additional $1000 /s
    Yes! Let's live in the mediocrity of Apple and keep worshipping Apple:rolleyes:

9. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

Not sure if you get it but when you say something is better than the majority, the term mediocre no longer applies.

10. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

It's not better as it already has at least 4 deficiencies compared to TouchID; You can't use it for Family purchases, you can't use it in landscape, you can't add more than one face, you have to look at the device to unlock it.

Don't need to use it to know those... and I can't see how using it will change those things.

11. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

Last time I checked I only have one face vs multiple fingers...

12. Norwegian_Imposter macrumors regular

Norwegian_Imposter

Because they are complaining about the services. If the alternatives are worse why would they be ‘bad’

13. Sefstah macrumors 6502a

Still waiting for multiple users on iPad. How about a guest feature for iPhone? Making an admin account that can assign users permission would solve this.

14. 69Mustang, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017

69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

The alternatives being worse is simply an opinion. It also doesn't matter to a person with an iPhone X. Comparative complaining only works when you have both devices to, you know, compare.
    Let me do this with full on hyperbole.
    Bill has an car accident. He's thrown from the car, breaks his leg, and has a concussion. Meanwhile across town Jerry falls down an open manhole. Breaks a leg and an arm, chips a tooth, and gets bitten by a rat. Telling Bill, "at least you aren't Jerry", does nothing for Bill.

15. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

If oversight: that's bad

If intended: that's bad, too.

Conclusion: Apple is bad and family hostile.

(So okay, conclusion is bonkers. But seriously, what's up Apple?)

16. cale508 macrumors 6502

But the 2017 X won't. you need to get the newest, fastest and greatest iPhone ever built for that. ;)

17. teabonesteak macrumors regular

from a security standpoint, maybe.

from a convenience standpoint, def not.

yeah yeah, first world problem.

18. RichTeer macrumors member

RichTeer

True, but at least with Touch ID one can register one's other half so that they can unlock the iPhone/iPad. That's not possible with Face ID, at least in its current iteration.

Also, I don't want to look at my phone when paying for something. I just want to remove it from its holster and double-tap the Touch ID button while holding it near the terminal. Although I've admittedly not tried it, Face ID seems to be a less smooth action in this situation.

19. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

As the family tech person, my finger is registered on other family members’ phones. It's a pretty convenient feature.

20. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

I suppose, for now. Just don't update your 8. Apple needs to boost sales of the X.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/27/art-cashin-apple-iphone-x-news-casts-a-shadow-over-everything

BTW, I was an Apple fan-boy for 10 years, so not a hater as much as a jaded former user. I know when to quit. Apple just deosn't have it anymore.

21. Kabeyun, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017

Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

This would seem to be an implicit indictment of FaceID.

On a side note, family sharing has been a complete mess for us. None of our purchases are available for cross-download, and the parent authorization check only works for unpaid App Store downloads. Not something I feel we should need the Genius Bar for, but off we go.

22. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

This 100% sucks with 3 kids with iDevices!

It's the only time I've missed TouchID

23. Squillace macrumors member

Squillace

"You can't use it for Family purchases" ...for now. Like Touch ID at its beginning.

"You can't use it in landscape" ...seriously? Is this a dealbreaker? I personally don't give a sh*t about landscape.

"You can't add more than one face" ...unless you are some kind of mutant living in Tchernobyl or Fukushima, you only have ONE face while you have 10 fingers. Face ID and Touch ID were never ment to be used by multiple users. It's a fact. Apple said it.

"You have to look at the device to unlock it" ...wrong. Turn off Attention Aware feature and you wont need to look at your phone. You just need to have your face in the scan field of the TrueDepth camera. Anyway, you have to put your finger on the device to unlock it, sooooooo where is the difference?

Come on...
    My phone is mine. It contains personal data. Phone numbers, text messages, e-mails, photos, passwords, etc. It's my personal assistant. It's always with me, in my pocket. I don't want anybody else to use it. I can understand a multiuser iPad, which is a device with a much bigger screen offering richer multimedia possibilites and it's a device that can stay home. But the iPhone? Hell no. It just don't make sense...

24. Sefstah macrumors 6502a

You obviously don’t have kids!
    You obviously don’t have kids!

25. mdawid macrumors regular

mdawid

Those who have family accounts set up for their children!! Such as myself.