Face ID Can't Be Used to Approve Family Purchases on iPhone X

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Squillace macrumors member

Feb 22, 2016
    Get your kid the cheapest Android phone to play Angry Birds, I'm sure he will be happy and won't see the diference. Mine doesn't touch my X.
  2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Jun 19, 2013
    Which security method is perfect or fool proof? Only thing companies can do is make it harder to beat. But it will always be possible given time.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 27, 2017 ---
    Or purchase a discount ITunes card just for their account.
  3. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

Jan 29, 2003
    Perhaps they are afraid on the kids queueing a purchase, holding the phone up, and saying "Hey, mom, check this out". Bingo, purchase. (Or dad).
  4. name99 macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2004
    Perhaps the first world IS the first world because our response to problems (even small ones) is to damn well complain about and then fix them, rather than just accepting them as the will of god and part of life ...
  5. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2007
    I suspect this is simply waiting for a software modification. Some other contact will be necessary -- you can't simply bring up a message asking for confirmation with FaceID, as in the process of reading what's being asked for you are automatically going to end up confirming (unlike with TouchID in this instance).

It would make sense for the iphone to request pressing both side buttons (like with Apple Pay) or similar, while having FaceID ok'd. So there is a little additional step required here for the iphone X. I can see exactly why Apple removed it for the moment to make sure confirmation was positive for these situations.
  6. CrystalQuest76 macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2015
    West Cost A Lot
    Handing children thousand dollar devices to walk around with. Really, this is the problem people have. Get a little perspective.
  7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    That will be quite the boon for Batman villains!
  8. spazzcat macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2007
    I don't have kids and my $1000 phone shouldn't be designed for kids.
  9. fpsBeaTt macrumors 6502

Apr 18, 2010
    I minor inconvenience that will be remedied in an update, stirred into a storm in a tiny teacup.
  10. tbayrgs, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017

tbayrgs macrumors 603

Jul 5, 2009
    Well, considering TouchID preceded Family sharing by 2 years...

Nobody said it was a deal breaker but it's objectively inferior to TouchID. And you may not give a **** but plenty of other people do.

Intended use or not, it's also an objectively inferior experience to TouchID. I love being able to have a fingerprint on all of my kids devices.

So your solution is to compromise security. :rolleyes: And while you don't have to have your eyes stare at the phone, you still have to have your face in proximity of the sensors. Being able to quickly unlock using TouchID while your device is flat on a desk/table and not having your face positioned over the sensors is still an advantage in TouchID's favor.

Any other apologies for Apple you'd like use?

I really like FaceID but it's far from a perfect replacement for TouchID.

And I have 3 kids using iOS devices so this inconvenience, while not significant, is still a step backwards from using any older phone with TouchID and a bit of a p.i.t.a.
  11. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Jul 29, 2002
    Vancouver, BC CANADA
    Save us your stone-throwing. The throttling only kicks in when a battery has reached a certain wear-and-tear.

As for this feature, it is curious why Apple has mandated the password entry instead of Face ID. I wonder if it's based on lengthy studies where parents may accidentally authorize purchases without first stopping and thinking. A password prompt gives them that moment of pause.
  12. Macaholic868 macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2017
    The solution is very straightforward. Let the user decide if they want to allow Face ID authentication to authorize purchases. Display the necessary legalize and also warn the user with a big, bold prompt that Face ID, like Touch ID, isn’t 100 secure and the user is selecting convince over security and will not hold Apple accountable if unauthorized purchases are made due to flaws in Face ID. After they authorize the change show them in big, bold print where they can shut it off if they change their mind. Problem solved....
  13. MyMacintosh macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2012
  14. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2009
    It’s definitely puzzling by Apples standards and I believe an oversight rather than done on purpose.

In my case when my children want to download an app on the AppStore they initiate the purchase through the AppStore i then get the notification from their devices giving me details of the app/game and the option to say yay or nay... on older devices with touch ID it was easy to approve purchases this way.

Now with the X you have to do this two step verification which is pretty pointless, why am i asked to use face id then immediately after prompted to input my password! For every single app download request.

Im glad this issue is now being raised as i find it very frustrating.
  15. macsforever macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2014
  16. MarkB786 macrumors 6502

Sep 20, 2016
    Rocky Mountains, USA
    Hmm. Your reply is to deep for me to understand. Could you restate in layman's terms?
  17. Sefstah macrumors 6502

Dec 21, 2015
    Ok, you don’t share your phone. But for the rest of us that do, a guest user feature would be awesome.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 29, 2017 ---
    The artical is talking about iPhone X users unable to verify family purchases with FaceID. Buying an Android phone wouldn’t fix the problem Einstein!