Face ID less secure than Touch ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acctman, Nov 5, 2017.

1. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

Tech companies like Apple and others are always looking for the new feature to add into a phone regardless if its good or not. They're under pressure to have something new every year. FaceID it not all the secure... anyone grabbing your phone can just hold it up to your face to unlock it. Sure you can turn on attentive to make sure your eyes are open. But, even with one eye open FaceID will unlock.

With TouchID you had the option of 10 fingers you could map the sensor to. The chances of someone forcing you to unlock your phone is rare but at least with TouchID you could intentional fail the recognition by using the wrong finger 3 times. FaceID on the other hand, there is no intentional failing the recognition. It seems gimmicky, I hope Apple revisits putting touch ID back and underneath the screen glass.

Alternately passcode is the most secure for anyone with security concerns.

2. Diorama macrumors 6502a

Sorry but it is much easier to put somebody’s thumb on the phone.

And it IS your thumb, if you tried any of that ‘wrong finger’ bullsh*t on me I’d pistol-whip you. Try and pretend it’s your little finger on your left hand or something, think I’m stupid?! *SMACK* (you lose two teeth).
    In this scenario I’m a criminal by the way.

3. Contra1971 macrumors member

Contra1971

I will have to try it out for myself if this is the case, I guess I will have to do something that is very radical and not leave my phone laying around ...lol

4. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Unless you disable it you have to be looking at the screen with eyes open. And apparently it will not unlock if a hand is in the way (as if someone is forcing your eyes open.) plus there are many ways to disable the forced unlock such as remotely or by enabling the 911 feature with a triple click.

5. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Do you live in a Hollywood movie? Who is taking your phone and making you unlock. Your scenario is a fantasy.

6. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

I think people are fare more important in their own minds than in reality. Fact is most people are not interesting or important enough to "hack."

7. Diorama macrumors 6502a

And those who are use a numerical passcode.
    Biometrics is for a good compromise between security and convenience.

8. acctman thread starter macrumors 65816

acctman

please read the second paragraph second sentence, and then rethink your response.

9. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

Passcode more secure huh. . .. thats why I can unlock all my family members phones by passcode and not by face or finger print.

10. acctman thread starter macrumors 65816

acctman

You're forgetting that you do not have to setup TouchID with your thumb. And, even if you did it could be your left thumb and not your right. Tap touchID 3 times with the wrong thumb/finger and its locks and forces you to input your passcode.

11. Diorama macrumors 6502a

You are being very silly. Take a step back and think about what you are saying. You are going to do a two handed unlock every time? Come on man.

Plus, why is a criminal trying to unlock your phone?

12. JohnApples macrumors 65816

You can also “intentional fail” FaceID by pressing the side button and volume buttons at the same time which is faster than TouchID wrong 3 times.

Also, let’s assume someone does grab your phone, shoves it in your face to unlock it, and runs away. What are they going to do with it then?

13. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

And then in your Hollywood movie you are threatened with death if you do not use your passcode. Sorry, but cat videos and texts with my sister are not worth dying for.

I love Face ID. I will accept the minute (and in this case, unlikely) scenario someone will use my face to unlock my phone. I too remember the days when phones weren’t locked at all. It was okay. Maybe trying finding less sketchy friends?

14. acctman thread starter macrumors 65816

acctman

the entire which one is more secure is debatable. Someone can create a scenario for each method where it would be less secure. But, if you were just give a random phone that had all 3 security methods on it and was told the phone belongs to John Doe... more than likely getting his Face to look at the phone would get you in faster than figuring out which finger is used for TouchID or a passcode that could be 4digits and Alphanumberic combination.

Look i'm not saying the average user has nuclear security codes or data important enough to warrant hacking... just having an open discussion and for how I see it FaceID in general is just less secure of the 3 options.

15. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Face ID is more convenient after having used both. That’s all I care about.

16. Diorama macrumors 6502a

Spoiler: it’s the thumb.

17. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

I mean ... both are very secure forms of ID. This whole nitpicking this-and-that game seems crazy to me. Attention detection is there so that you will be very aware of someone trying to unlock your phone.

18. ryan102 macrumors regular

FBI were probably celebrating the moment FaceID was announced. They can't force you to put your finger on the TouchID sensor but now they just have to hold the phone in front on you and vwalla, access all areas.

19. 15danielp macrumors regular

Just close your eyes. Or maybe your thinking about being in that Clockwork Orange situation that we all have to endure every now and then.

20. acctman thread starter macrumors 65816

acctman

i agree, especially with raise to wake on... it eliminates having to touch the power/siri button.

21. 15danielp macrumors regular

If you're not using the thumb then its just not convenient anymore. So just disable it and just use the passcode. This is such a stupid argument.

22. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Actually, they can force you to use TouchID if they really wanted to. It’s a passcode they can’t force out of you.

23. ryan102 macrumors regular

Good point but now they don't need to do either of those

24. 15danielp macrumors regular

Why would you use other fingers that make it less convenient and less secure than just using the passcode? Disable FaceID or TouchID if you're really worried about **** like this anyway.

25. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

I just love it when threads are created by people who just make things up.