Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Why would you use other fingers that make it less convenient and less secure than just using the passcode? Disable FaceID or TouchID if you're really worried about **** like this anyway.
this has nothing to do about me and security, i was just raising the debate on which is more secure. someone else spun this into a Hollywood FBI scenario stop half reading things. I stated the point that TouchID can be used with multiple fingers, i'm not saying one should or why someone would not use a thumb.
[doublepost=1509919094][/doublepost]
I like seeing them get torn down. And not because I like seeing someone get torn down. But rather it makes them better in the long run and makes all the readers smarter. ;)
not torn down at all, just amazed how many people half read threads and put there own spin on things. how this turned into a hollywood movie you'll have to search for the person who initially half read the original post and everyone else piggy backed off of that.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
this has nothing to do about me and security, i was just raising the debate on which is more secure. someone else spun this into a Hollywood FBI scenario stop half reading things. I stated the point that TouchID can be used with multiple fingers, i'm not saying one should or why someone would not use a thumb.
[doublepost=1509919094][/doublepost]
not torn down at all, just amazed how many people half read threads and put there own spin on things. how this turned into a hollywood movie you'll have to search for the person who initially half read the original post and everyone else piggy backed off of that.

Not when you create a thread title that says "Face ID less secure than Touch ID" You are creating a conclusion not a question or debate with that title. The conclusion makes it sounds like you have proof and thus not open for debate.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
please read the second paragraph second sentence, and then rethink your response.
If someone physically has your phone in your presence and is threatening you, you have a lot more to worry about than the contents of your phone. Face ID and yes, Touch ID, are helpful in a more typical scenario where your phone is lost, or even stolen where you are not present with the thief.

Reactions: Vermifuge

acctman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Not when you create a thread title that says "Face ID less secure than Touch ID" You are creating a conclusion not a question or debate with that title. The conclusion makes it sounds like you have proof and thus not open for debate.
I will agree with you... I probably should have added a question mark or worded the topic better

Reactions: 15danielp

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2017
Good point but now they don't need to do either of those
Not true. Just go into emergency mode (5 quick presses of lock button on 7 plus for instance) and your passcode is then required. Same affect if you restart your phone. I feel like people are grasping at straws to justify their dislike of the phone. Doesn’t bother me, kept more people from getting the X.

RJEvans

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
I actually agree. A mere glance unlocks my phone. Where as I can look at my notifications without unlocking my phone, looking now unlocks it giving anyone ample time to grab it. My mom inadvertently showed me how easy it was to unlock my phone unwantedly when she picked up the phone and held it to my face then walked away. It’s not a secure phone. It’s not even easier to use. I have to hold the phone away from my face to unlock it. Laying down is a hit or miss. I think FaceID would have complemented TouchID very well, but alone it is definitely not a complete or even better replacement.

Pascal325

Suspended
Oct 24, 2017
I have setup both hands, and both fingers on each. Thumb and index. Because when it's on my desk, I can unlock it easier with my index finger than my thumb due to the angle of your thumb.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I will agree with you... I probably should have added a question mark or worded the topic better
I get the feeling you were playing devil’s advocate or just trying to open a discussion on the topic. I think Face ID is cool because it’s passive, and requires less effort than a password or even intentional touch. It’s natural to look at the phone when you want to interact with it.

As this type of passive biometric security is expanded and applied to other uses, it probably is a good idea for us to be aware of the limitations and exploits. I can imagine using it to start a car or unlock a house. It’s important to start to think about the ramification.

First Post G

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2011
NYC
the entire which one is more secure is debatable. Someone can create a scenario for each method where it would be less secure. But, if you were just give a random phone that had all 3 security methods on it and was told the phone belongs to John Doe... more than likely getting his Face to look at the phone would get you in faster than figuring out which finger is used for TouchID or a passcode that could be 4digits and Alphanumberic combination.

Look i'm not saying the average user has nuclear security codes or data important enough to warrant hacking... just having an open discussion and for how I see it FaceID in general is just less secure of the 3 options.

Let's just be clear about one thing, you cannot debate which one is more secure. Face ID is mathematically more secure. It's a fact.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Touch ID and Face ID aren’t security features, they’re convienance features. They’re not to secure you from thieves, they’re to make it easy to get into your phone. Your passcode/password is your security.

In real life, I’ve never had anyone snatch my phone and run, I’ve never seen it happen to anyone else and I’ve never heard of it happening to anyone. Not saying it hasn’t happened. But Face ID isn’t going to make a big dent there either.

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
please read the second paragraph second sentence, and then rethink your response.

Sorry , but you’re still living in a fantasy world.
I think you are living inside a cube of ice as well.
I have had 4 iPhones and nobody has ever tried to force me to unlock my phone.
What is life like inside your cube of ice that you are so terribly worried that someone wants to force you to hack your own phone?

Reactions: Vermifuge

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Sorry , but you’re still living in a fantasy world.
I think you are living inside a cube of ice as well.
I have had 4 iPhones and nobody has ever tried to force me to unlock my phone.
What is life like inside your cube of ice that you are so terribly worried that someone wants to force you to hack your own phone?

Live in a Major city? ✓
Are a minority? ✓
Use public transportation? ✓
Travel frequently domestically & international? ✓

And yet, the number of times I have been forced to unlock my phone remains zero.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
anyone grabbing your phone can just hold it up to your face to unlock it.

Duly noted Mr. Bond. We shall run the issue up to Q Branch, and see if they can’t come up with something better quick smart. Goodness knows we can’t have you mucking about with inferior security, endangering the Crown.

If I may sir, perhaps a weekend in Monaco whilst we organize the device? We’ll fit it with a cracking blow dart perhaps, or a self destruct mechanism, and you’ll be off to Geneva by Monday, phone in hand.

M will be in touch when we have it at the ready. Good day sir.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Tech companies like Apple and others are always looking for the new feature to add into a phone regardless if its good or not. They're under pressure to have something new every year. FaceID it not all the secure... anyone grabbing your phone can just hold it up to your face to unlock it. Sure you can turn on attentive to make sure your eyes are open. But, even with one eye open FaceID will unlock.

With TouchID you had the option of 10 fingers you could map the sensor to. The chances of someone forcing you to unlock your phone is rare but at least with TouchID you could intentional fail the recognition by using the wrong finger 3 times. FaceID on the other hand, there is no intentional failing the recognition. It seems gimmicky, I hope Apple revisits putting touch ID back and underneath the screen glass.

Alternately passcode is the most secure for anyone with security concerns.

OMG... Here we go. The Hollywood movies are making come back. Remember the horror stories of finger being cut to unlock the phone when Touch ID was introduced, anyone?

Some people....

Reactions: MEJHarrison
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.