Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
You hear about forced unlock for face ID but I figured out a trick that seems to work well. I created my face ID with a specific facial gesture that seems to work well. If I just look into the camera it will not unlock, but if I do the specific gesture it works great. It does not add any extra time or effort to the process but it does add a nice level of security to the Face ID unlock process.

So if you want to add an extra level of security, dont just stare into the screen when making your face ID profile.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Interesting for normal use, I suppose, but I don't see how that is related to a forced unlock?
Wouldn't you still be forced to unlock your Phone?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
The Court has ruled that they cannot force you to enter your passcode, so if you are being pulled over and believe you might be suspect to arrest, click your lock button 5 times rapidly, it will disable Face ID until you re-enter your passcode.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
The Court has ruled that they cannot force you to enter your passcode, so if you are being pulled over and believe you might be suspect to arrest, click your lock button 5 times rapidly, it will disable Face ID until you re-enter your passcode.

Great info and you should never trust blue isis. Always record the police !
[doublepost=1538592308][/doublepost]
I live a pretty straight-laced life. Not too concerned with being forced to unlock my phone.
They could always plant stuff on your phone or use data on your phone to jam you up

Last edited:

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
I live a pretty straight-laced life. Not too concerned with being forced to unlock my phone.

Unfortunately my life is not so straight laced :( I have to travel to some shady places every year due to my job. At least now if I was subject to capture and the phone was found somewhere in the vehicle I can claim its not my phone when it does not unlock with my face. I do got 4 years left before I can retire and live a very low key quiet life and not worry about such things. :)

Reactions: AlliFlowers

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
As long as you can hold it I suppose.
hqdefault.jpg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You hear about forced unlock for face ID but I figured out a trick that seems to work well. I created my face ID with a specific facial gesture that seems to work well. If I just look into the camera it will not unlock, but if I do the specific gesture it works great. It does not add any extra time or effort to the process but it does add a nice level of security to the Face ID unlock process.

So if you want to add an extra level of security, dont just stare into the screen when making your face ID profile.

Indeed a very interesting added security layer, this would also create a differential for those who might have a twin as an example, if the individual uses a specific facial gesture when programming Face ID, that would make it more difficult to unlock even with somebody with similar facial features.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Reactions: ZEEN0j
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.