Face it, every iPad 2 has Backlight Bleed

Discussion in 'iPad' started by furcinator, Mar 21, 2011.

1. furcinator macrumors newbie

I gotta just say it, every iPad2 purchased from now until it is confirmed fixed, will have backlight bleed. Last Tuesday (3/15) I bought two White Verizon 64GB from an Apple Store and they both have it (not too severe). My friend bought a Black 64GB WiFi on launch day (3/11) from another Apple Store and he has it (worse than mine). I love this forum but everyone (including myself) is driving me nuts over this issue. I feel bad for people with dead pixels, scratches, dents, and glue seeping out of the edges, cus none of that is cool and they should return those units, but I think we should all give up thinking we can return our backlight bleed... because you will just get another backlight bleed. I really wish Apple would do something but I have a feeling they won't anytime soon, and I wish people who claim they don't have the backlight bleed would just shuttup because you do have it, search google images for "black" find an all black image, save it, turn your brightness to 100%, and get in a completely dark room and view the black image, you will see it, and if you don't, then take a pic and post it so we can see that there is hope.

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok I faced it. Feel better?

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It wouldn't be driving you crazy if you didn't come on here and read about the issue. Clearly, it bothers *you* because you're posting about it. You can always return it and either wait for a fix or buy something else.

4. duk macrumors regular

Look, if you don't have anything nice to say about the iPad2, don't say anything at all! Ignorance is bliss!! :) J/k. I think you may be right, a friend of mines co. Bought 10 iPad2 and ALL of them have it to some degree... They also have as many 1st generation iPads and the difference is dramatic.

5. furcinator thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it did bother me, but like the first reply, I faced it now and I'm over it, I just want to crush people who believe they have a perfect one, and I'd like someone to prove me wrong and post a pic of a perfect one.

6. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

I am sure all of you complaining about backlight bleeding on the iPad 2 are the same ones that complained about the antenna on the iPhone 4! Save us all the trouble and stop buying Apple products! Go get yourself a Zune and a Dell laptop with Windows Vista. :rolleyes:

7. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

Lawdy people. How many have the thing up on 100% brightness in a dark room?
    Can you stand it. The thing is way too bright for me.

But yes it may have a widespread issue. I do believe however most will get better with time. I'm sure they pushed production to the limit to get these things out.

I say hold on to it & let Apple catch up with production and take it in later (summer) if it isn't better. That way you get to use it and you don't have to wait for a replacement. Plus people still waiting can still get theirs. I think that can be a win/win.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I would agree that many/most will bleed at 100% in a dark room, but who does that? Mine is on auto and there would be no reason to run 100% unless outside and i will bet you will not see any bleed outside.

Admit that you are OCR and just can't stand that your little baby is not perfect in your eyes!:eek:

This is no different than the iPad1 introduction, it is the way it is!

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

suggest lithium for this.

10. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

No offense but that's pretty . . . um . . . trying to be nice here . . . bah fill in the blank. ________

I was up at 3 AM in online hitting F5 for an hour to get an iPhone 5. I heard about the antenna issue but did not care because I use a case on all my phones.

11. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Mine has zero backlight bleeding, but it has a small defect (white spec a few pixels large) between the glass and the display so I didn't get too lucky. Doesn't really bother me though, only visible viewing it at a direct angle on light backgrounds.

12. Larrabee213 macrumors regular

13. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

I got a launch day 16gb white wifi. No screen bleeding, no dead pixels. 100% perfect. So, no. not every iPad 2 is defective.

14. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Why do you think your preference in using the iPad is the only right one out there? How about this, Apple should just lower the brightness on the next update. This way we don't have a choice.:rolleyes:

15. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

There is no such thing as a iPhone 5 so I would love to see yours.

16. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

It's such a minor issue in the first place. Yes, I notice the light bleed when I turn it on but thats the only time. It doesn't hinder functionality and it doesn't reduce screen quality.

Time to move on.

17. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

:D I meant 4. LOL!
    And if you want to see mine you gotta pay.

18. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

I haven't noticed it in mine at all. I've watched movies, read books, browsed the Internet. What's the use case where I'll notice it?

19. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Most likely if the movie you're watching has letterbox or you are looking at something with a lot of dark areas around the edges. Low light to no room light viewing.

20. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Mine is nice and uniform. Of course it's hard to take a picture of it but no obvious light bleed on any of the edges.

[​IMG]

21. BigWalt macrumors regular

BigWalt

Glad mine isnt bad, I watch netflix all day long and I dont even notice it anymore.

22. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I have absolutely zero defects with my iPad 2.

23. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

24. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I also don't believe the people who say that have zero light bleed. I just haven't seen an iPad 2 yet that didn't have it. Both mine and my wife's has it...it doesn't bother me, but I still think they all have it.

If you have one that doesn't...I'd be curious to see it. But do a true test, not something skewed to show what you want it to show. That means full brightness with a black screen and the lights off in the room.

25. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

I think the OP meant take a picture of it in the dark. Also, just curious, what are those dots on the bottom of the screen? They look too small to be icons.

To the OP, I think it's hard to argue your point based on 3 iPads (!) If every single iPad 2 had a manufacturing defect, I think Apple would've probably delayed the launch. I doubt they want to go through the iPhone 4 antennagate situation all over again.