Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At AllThingsD's mobile conference today, executives from both Google and Facebook said they would like to have deeper and more extensive integration with Apple's iOS -- and both would like to be featured more prominently in the operating system, though neither company seemed to think such a development was very likely.

ericschmidt.jpg
Google chairman Eric Schmidt, according to CNET, spoke today about Google and Apple's interactions related to apps:
Schmidt ... declined to say why Apple decided to go with its own mapping system rather than working with Google as it had in the past. But he said his company is still pushing Apple to use Google Maps as the primary navigation tool on iOS.

"We would still really like them to use our maps," Schmidt said. "It would be easy for them to take the app in the store and put it as their basic one."
While of course Google wants to be featured more on iOS, it seems the company has accepted Apple's decision to develop its own mapping app.

Talking about Facebook's rollout of Chat Heads and other features in its iOS app today, Facebook CTO Mike Schroepfer and mobile head Cory Ondrejka were repeatedly asked by Kara Swisher if Facebook had ever actually asked Apple if it could have Chat Heads appear universally throughout iOS, like it does on Facebook Home.
Kara Swisher: But did you even ask them? Did you even ask Apple if you could put the ... Chat Heads on the screen persistently? Or did you not even go there with them?

Cory Ondrejka: I think it's more a discussion about how to make a great product experience.

Kara: Did you ask them to do that? Do you imagine the possibility?

Cory: We know what their lead times are. So, we only ask for things that have some possibility--

Kara: Do you imagine the possibility that they'll have those heads wandering over their screen?

Cory: I think that's a great question for them.

Kara: I'm asking you. Are you even going to hope for that?

Cory: Am I going to hope for that?

Mike Schroepfer: Apple is a great partner, we both have a lot of products hilt together. We can't talk about what we've talked about.
Apple does have deeper ties with Facebook than most companies, offering significant integration of the service into iOS, but building Chat Heads into the iPhone would be an unprecedented expansion of that relationship.

Article Link: Facebook and Google Would Like Apple to Feature Them More Prominently on iOS

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I'd like Apple to show me Jony's secret lab. CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT WE WANT, CAN WE?

Last edited:

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Google is like the crazy girl that's trying to make her ex (Apple) jealous by hooking up with her new boyfriend (FB) in public. Gross.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Well, if they don't like iOS, they should build their own phone.

Oh, wait....

2ndchancephones

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2011
Denton, TX
I never understood the meltdown about Apple maps...they have ALWAYS worked great for me. I live in Texas and go to some "in the middle of nowhere" places and they have done their job for me. Have they led me other places sometimes? Yes, but Google maps have done the same thing.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Apple has their philosophy, it got them this far. I doubt they change it for a possible transient social network application.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
I would like for everyone in the world to get along and for pollution to be replaced by cotton candy. Pretty sure I have an equal chance of what I want to come true as Google and Facebook have of their wants to come true.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Of course they want to ship with every iphone and ipad!

Most people don't want FB taking over their phone, especially iphone users. Sure, some want that but it's not enough for apple to consider compromising their complete vertical integration for it.

FB, Google, and most people know what Apple is about and what they will never do.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
Captain Obvious

In other news, people in Hell want air conditioning and ice water.

How is this news, especially when Schmidt declines to discuss the rift with Apple or anything he's willing to do to mend it?

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
The chat heads seem intriguing and I do think FB is onto something here, but I'm not sure Apple would allow that intrusive an app. I rarely use FB messenger, but I can imagine if it were implemented in that manner I would consider using it a lot more. For me, one of the most frustrating features on any phone (iOS or Android) is having to exit out/app switch what I'm currently doing to continue IM conversations. It's not major, but it's definitely a nuisance.

But (and not to turn this into a Google vs. Apple thing) I do wish I could set my maps provider to Google by default. Just a preference.

Last edited:

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I want less integration especially with FB. What we need is software to block tracking and collecting data by companies like FB. Google isn't much better but at least they don't try and force themselves as much as Facebook does.

It doesn't matter if you are a facebook user or not - they are the absolute picture of what is wrong with the modern media world.

If they become more integrated with IOS then I may just go to a dumb phone again. I can't stand them. Mark Z wants to rule the world.

Apple stand up for yourself and for your users. If people want to be in the facebook world let them get a facebook phone and leave the rest of the world alone.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
- Not many people want to have those stupid chat heads floating around all the time or popping out of nowhere.

- Not many people want to chat all the time or care about fb.

- Not many people want to have their activity tracked specifically by google.

- Keep google and fb off of iOS as much as possible, please.

- I love iOS map. It hasn't fail me and my wife since we started using it. We don't want google to track us for their ad business. So, iOS map is good for us. We will never go back to google map, even if iOS map will never be as good, but we all know it's not true. iOS map will be as good if not better in time.

davcolley

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
Google & Facebook

Google & Facebook are so full of themselves. The best part of their apps are in my trash bin.

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
Really kind of astounding how entitled these people are.

I'd love Apple to feature my App more. Hell, a "What's hot" or "App of the week" would be fine and dandy.... much less than Facebook or Google want, which is really for Apple to embed their technology at the OS level.

The reason Apple made their own maps is that they discovered, painfully, that trusting google was a major mistake, when google turned around and ripped off iOS to make android.

Let's not forget that Facebook is also being completely hypocritical here, after saying yes to ping, and then pulling it at the last minute, they want Apple to be open with them?

Or google, which refuses to respect anyone's privacy, and is all kinds of closed but wants access to everyone elses' info and platforms?

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I can see chat heads coming to iOS as part of the Facebook integration that already exists. After watching the Cory's reaction to some of the questions I get the vibe that it's a feature that's coming in the next iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.