Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook today announced a new set of Portal video chat devices, including one that is aimed to compete in the streaming TV market. This device is called the Portal TV, and it connects to a TV set with a standard HDMI cable and can stream content as well as enable video calls through Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp.

Facebook-portal-tv.jpg

According to Facebook, video calling is the primary feature of Portal TV, because there aren't many supported streaming apps announced as of today. Customers will be able to stream Amazon Prime Video, listen to Spotify, and download apps like Showtime, CBS All Access, Starz, Pluto TV, Red Bull TV, and Neverthink.

More apps are said to be coming soon, but Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and other popular platforms will not be on Portal TV at launch.

Speaking with Bloomberg, Facebook executive Andrew Bosworth said that the ability to video call friends and family on a TV-based device will make it unique in a crowded market. Bosworth went on to suggest that people will likely switch on alternative devices for their video streaming when they're done video calling on Portal TV.

Otherwise, Facebook is also launching updated Portal devices in two new sizes: an 8-inch "Portal Mini" and 10-inch regular "Portal." The new Portals have improved speakers, and a physical shutter so users can easily disable the camera and microphone.

facebook-new-portals.jpg

Of course, with any news related to Facebook, the company has attempted to double down on privacy assurances. With the new Portal models, it said that users can opt out of the company accessing voice recordings collected by the Portal in their home. Facebook will transcribe some "Hey Portal" audio clips if users don't opt out of it, however.

Bloomberg posted a separate story about this earlier today, detailing how Facebook "paused human review of audio" in August, while it worked on a way to give customers more control over the feature. The default option will still be for Facebook to automatically collect and transcribe "Hey Portal" commands, so users will have to be aware of this and navigate into their settings to opt out.

The Portal TV will cost $149, the Portal Mini will cost $129, and the Portal will cost $179. The Portal Mini and Portal will launch October 15, while the Portal TV is set to launch on November 5.

Article Link: Facebook Announces 'Portal TV' for Streaming Content and Holding Video Calls

Mikey44

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
You know this is one area, in my personal opinion, that Apple could make monumental changes to Apple TV, that would sell like hot cakes.

If Apple released a FaceTime camera for the Apple TV and added a FaceTime app to the TV as well, it would be a game changer. It could be used at home and in the office with relative ease. As it stands now, I have to mirror another device to be able to video chat on the tv, or setup another computer. But I much prefer the Apple TV. With multi-user support in tvOS 13, this would allow you to have the ability to sync whomever is the active account with FaceTime and contacts.

Its the next step I think, and one that would allow developers to put some interesting things out there as well, depending on the tech Apple puts out.

Last edited:

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
It’s almost as if Facebook doesn’t know that people don’t like them. They keep making products that no one will buy because they’re Facebook. It’s astounding to see how much money this company is going to lose on ridiculously stupid ideas that don’t fit their branding.

Billionaires will be billionaires.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
With the new Portal models, it said that users can opt out of the company accessing voice recordings collected by the Portal in their home. Facebook will transcribe some "Hey Portal" audio clips if users don't opt out of it, however.

Shouldn't Facebook have learned by now that it should be an opt IN thing rather than opt out?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It’s almost as if Facebook doesn’t know that people don’t like them. They keep making products that no one will buy because they’re Facebook. It’s astounding to see how much money this company is going to lose on ridiculously stupid ideas that don’t fit their branding.

Billionaires will be billionaires.
I think those of us on tech forums don’t like them. The great mass of cousins, aunts, uncles, moms, dads, grandmas and grandpas are still going strong on FB and still pressuring people like me who left to come back. So many schools and groups coordinate everything through FB. I miss a lot of things but I don’t care. I won’t go back.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I think those of us on tech forums don’t like them. The great mass of cousins, aunts, uncles, moms, dads, grandmas and grandpas are still going strong on FB and still pressuring people like me who left to come back. So many schools and groups coordinate everything through FB. I miss a lot of things but I don’t care. I won’t go back.
People may use Facebook, but that’s out of lack of competition. People (myself included) give up their information and pictures to be able to be apart of the network of friends and family that only Facebook can provide.

They won’t, however, go out and buy a Facebook camera...place it in their home....and shoot away. This will not be successful.

Reactions: jeremiah256

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
You know this is one area, in my personal opinion, that Apple could make monumental changes to Apple TV, that would sell like hot cakes.

if Apple released a FaceTime camera for the Apple TV and added a FaceTime app to the tv as well, it would be a game changer. It could be used at home and in the office with relative ease. As it stands now, I have to mirror another device to be able to video chat on the tv, or setup another computer. But I much prefer the Apple TV. With multiuser support in tvOS 13, this would allow you to have the ability to sync whomever is the active account with FaceTime and contacts.

Its the next step I think, and one that would allow developers to put some interesting things out there as well, depending on the tech Apple puts out.

if Apple just released an actual TV with all of these features then we wouldn’t have to use limited Samsung, LG, Sony etc devices.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Let’s see... you could spend $150 to put a camera-equipped Zuckerberg tentacle in your living room, or you could just Airplay a FaceTime call to your Apple TV. I know which I’m choosing...

Last edited:
Reactions: bayelrey80

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
People may use Facebook, but that’s out of lack of competition. People (myself included) give up their information and pictures to be able to be apart of the network of friends and family that only Facebook can provide.

They won’t, however, go out and buy a Facebook camera...place it in their home....and shoot away. This will not be successful.

They will though. What would you define as success? People will buy the device I have no doubt about that.

coolbeep

Suspended
Jan 13, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Lol anytime I see “Facebook” attached to ANY product, no matter what it is or how revolutionary it is, the answer is always gonna be a big “No” from me chief. Go home Facebook you’re drunk (but thanks Macrumours for informing us!)

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Lol anytime I see “Facebook” attached to ANY product, no matter what it is or how revolutionary it is, the answer is always gonna be a big “No” from me chief. Go home Facebook you’re drunk (but thanks Macrumours for informing us!)

Facebook Rumors. :p

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Anyone who buys this, and to a greater extent trusts this, is not in a sane state-of-mind.

I thought TV manufacturers were done with incorporating cameras in they TV’s. Good to see Fb has not gotten the message yet or just regurgitating others mistake. Next up Fb 3D goggles (hold on that has been done with VR Oculus).
[doublepost=1568816630][/doublepost]
Nope nope nope, don't need Zuckerberg to watch me while I watch TV.

Or in the bedroom, the robot needs some data from real humans. The programmers forgot critical humanistic code with the Zuck model.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I mean do people really trust Facebook still? Smh
Facebook is creepy. Even when u disable things like in app sounds. If u update the app. It re enables itself.

They log ur phone calls even when u don’t give it permission to access contacts from ur phone. It’s always constantly reminding u to update notifications and if u can allow contacts from phone to be uploaded automatically

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Facebook is creepy. Even when u disable things like in app sounds. If u update the app. It re enables itself.

They log ur phone calls even when u don’t give it permission to access contacts from ur phone. It’s always constantly reminding u to update notifications and if u can allow contacts from phone to be uploaded automatically

Fb is a virus and a trojan to exploit and harvest as much data to profit from providing a free service that changes its T&C after its user has been addicted to the platform.

I was never interested in it or ever had an account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.