Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
So I uninstalled Facebook from my iPhone because it was giving me server errors when I tried to view photos. I deleted the application. I then went to the app store to try to download it and install it again, and it said that it was already installed. Then my phone froze, so I did a hard reset. Now my phone always gets stuck in asod (Apple screen of death) and then just shuts off... Any ideas?

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
So I uninstalled Facebook from my iPhone because it was giving me server errors when I tried to view photos. I deleted the application. I then went to the app store to try to download it and install it again, and it said that it was already installed. Then my phone froze, so I did a hard reset. Now my phone never gets stuck in asod (Apple screen of death) and then just shuts off... Any ideas?

Connect to iTunes and Restore.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I call it coincidence. You can't blame FB for everything. ;) Try DFU mode and if all else fails go to Apple.

milani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I blame Facebook 100%. Prior to this I could never log out of my Facebook account from the app. It would crash my phone 100% of the time. This only happened after the 2.5 version update, I might add.

Can't you even do a DFU restore?

After about the 25th try I did manage to get it into DFU restore mode. What exactly happens after I restore the phone? My contacts are synced through MobileMe, my calendars are running off of Google, but will all of my email accounts and other settings get wiped? What about my carrier settings (or is that information saved via the SIM)? I've never had to restore before, so forgive my ignorance/concern!

milani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
when blaming facebook for the collapse of your phone, this is the word that sprung to mind.

Do you have any other explanation? I uninstalled Facebook and my phone immediately screwed up, and as I already said the app was buggered before. I was never able to log out of my account. Every time I tried it would crash my phone. Sounds to me like it was precisely the culprit.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
SNIP...After about the 25th try I did manage to get it into DFU restore mode. What exactly happens after I restore the phone? My contacts are synced through MobileMe, my calendars are running off of Google, but will all of my email accounts and other settings get wiped? What about my carrier settings (or is that information saved via the SIM)? I've never had to restore before, so forgive my ignorance/concern!

The last step will be to restore from a backup (or as a new phone). Select a backup.

Backups contain the following:
call logs, recent call list, call timers, voicemails
settings
saved app data (like saved games and app settings - however, this is partially up to the developer to implement)
text message history
notes (if not being synced with notes on your computer)
stocks
weather cities
camera roll photos (no other photos)
app locations/placement (on 3.0 ONLY, saves what pages and locations you kept your apps)

It does NOT backup:
Contacts
Calendars
Emails
Apps
Music
Videos
Photos
Ringtones
(Basically everything that you should have saved on your computer or mail service)

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Do you have any other explanation? I uninstalled Facebook and my phone immediately screwed up, and as I already said the app was buggered before. I was never able to log out of my account. Every time I tried it would crash my phone. Sounds to me like it was precisely the culprit.

Sounds like a corrupt (un)installation to me.

Apple has created a sandbox environment for applications - they do not have full access to the OS. No app should be capable of causing these problems to the phone.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky

Uninstalling is done by the phones OS not the app itself. So it sounds like it's possible the phone screwed itself up..

milani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I'm just telling you what happened. Yes, it could have been the iPhone, but it happened as I was trying to remove Facebook (which wasn't working right in the first place), so I'm going to blame Facebook either way.

Thank you iphone.aggie.

I'm already deep into the restore process, so it's not like it matters much what I keep or lose (as if I have a choice in the matter), but it is nice to know that most of my stuff should be fine. I was successful in restoring from a backup - although it's about 6 days old.

Right now I'm waiting for iTunes to update ALL the apps on my iPhone, which will probably take forever (debating just canceling this process, as I have way more apps in iTunes than I actually have/want on my iPhone).

IronLogik

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
It definitely wasn't Facebook. So don't go playing the blame game.

Stop placing blame on stuff when you have no clue what you're talking about. Just restore the phone, and go back to doing whatever it is you do.

milani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008

Stop placing blame on stuff when you have no clue what you're talking about. Just restore the phone, and go back to doing whatever it is you do.

Thanks noob! I will do that! :D

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

It is probably related to uninstalling AN application; could have happened with any application. Anyways, I would take it into Apple if you can't even get it to enter DFU mode.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
The most severe lock-ups that I've had on any iPhone have been within the Facebook App. Particularily when viewing images or albums with many images.

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia

Why do people get so serious about stuff?

Just let her blame facebook, so she can feel better. Why do you care so much if she says it was facebooks fault? After all it was during the removal of facebook that it crashed......

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
So then it is EA fault that Tetris killed my touch. I've had this issue before. I had to put it into DFU mode to get it working again. It's not the App developers fault. It is the App Stores fault.

IronLogik

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Why do people get so serious about stuff?

Just let her blame facebook, so she can feel better. Why do you care so much if she says it was facebooks fault? After all it was during the removal of facebook that it crashed......

Tired of a lot of the asinine posts on here by clueless idiots who have no clue what the hell they're talking about

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm just telling you what happened. Yes, it could have been the iPhone, but it happened as I was trying to remove Facebook (which wasn't working right in the first place), so I'm going to blame Facebook either way.

Facebook caused a crash while Facebook wasn't running.

Uh huh.

So you have a situation where all evidence point to the app store/installer program being the culprit, but you're going to ignore all of that and just blame Facebook?

Sometimes this place is pretty crazy.

milani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

It is probably related to uninstalling AN application; could have happened with any application. Anyways, I would take it into Apple if you can't even get it to enter DFU mode.

I understand that, and yet if I had posted that I uninstalled "application x" and my phone died everyone would ask what application I had uninstalled. I uninstalled Facebook and as a result of that my phone died. Thus Facebook broke my phone.

More generally, Facebook is an extremely bloated iPhone app, and it's also extremely unstable. Even if it wasn't Facebook, it's a pretty terrible app (at least I've always had bad experiences with it). It often crashes my phone, so it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that it caused the uninstall process to stumble and fail in the first place.

My phone is now fixed, thankfully the restore worked, although I lost six days worth of stuff (not that it really matters). Oh and to all the people who are getting angry at me: are you serious? Go outside. Seriously.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I usually try to sync my iPhone every 2-3 days. The information that I keep (photos, grocery lists, etc.) matters to me. Since my iPhone works as my 2nd brain, it'd be painful to lose the information that I have on there.
Facebook used to be really problematic for me, until the last couple of updates. I don't technically log out of the program (unless hitting the home button does that), so I've not experience that issue. Still, sometimes the program is slow as molasses. But I like facebook more than myspace, so I continue along with the app.
I get annoyed at certain programs myself. Right now, my pet peeve is the jailbreak program, which is why I won't touch it.

I understand that, and yet if I had posted that I uninstalled "application x" and my phone died everyone would ask what application I had uninstalled. I uninstalled Facebook and as a result of that my phone died. Thus Facebook broke my phone.

More generally, Facebook is an extremely bloated iPhone app, and it's also extremely unstable. Even if it wasn't Facebook, it's a pretty terrible app (at least I've always had bad experiences with it). It often crashes my phone, so it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that it caused the uninstall process to stumble and fail in the first place.

My phone is now fixed, thankfully the restore worked, although I lost six days worth of stuff (not that it really matters). Oh and to all the people who are getting angry at me: are you serious? Go outside. Seriously.

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
I've had Facebook crash occasionally, but it's nowhere near as bad as you're making it out to be. If this issue didn't happen with Facebook, it would have happened with another app eventually. Something is wrong with your phone.
Also, with the latest version of Facebook, I'm pretty sure everyone is getting the error message when trying to view the photos the user was tagged in ("user"'s photos):

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 106

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I've had Facebook crash occasionally, but it's nowhere near as bad as you're making it out to be. If this issue didn't happen with Facebook, it would have happened with another app eventually. Something is wrong with your phone.
Also, with the latest version of Facebook, I'm pretty sure everyone is getting the error message when trying to view the photos the user was tagged in ("user"'s photos):
Yes, I'm getting that issue too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.